Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

38 Pages <1234>»
Garth's Black Pearl Options
Impatience
#21 Posted : 29 April 2015 16:10:04

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Looking really good! I can imagine its not always easy to keep all those ribs perfectly straight!!
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7
Garth
#22 Posted : 09 May 2015 21:13:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Ian and Impatience,
Thanks for looking in.
Ian - The weights are wheel weights cast into ingots - they work a treat.

Impatience - Fortunately the structure kind of holds itself together - just used squares and those kitchen cupboard angle brackets to support the ribs as the glue dries.

Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Hans
#23 Posted : 19 May 2015 09:09:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good job there Garth. The pieces are coming together nicely.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Garth
#24 Posted : 25 May 2015 20:46:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Hans,
Thank you for looking in.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Garth
#25 Posted : 27 May 2015 08:22:21

Hi all,

I don’t like the printed deck that is supplied with the kit.
As done by some members on the forums, I decided to go the coffee stirrer rout. Well, that was my initial idea – finding suitable coffee stirrers was not that easy!!! I contacted companies throughout the country, as far afield as Cape Town.

I was just about to throw in the towel when somebody suggested a company in Industria. I finally have the exact stirrers that I needed, at about 70% less than the guys in the Cape, and to top it all, the company is only 10 minutes from our offices. It defiantly pays to shop around.

My next decision is lighting my Pearl. I thing that the cutaway design showing the interior will lend itself really well to lighting. I’m not sure if I should light the lanterns using surface mounted LES’s or fiber optics.
My other mission is to source some kind of flicker unit that will give the appearance of a candle flickering.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Kind regards
Garth
Garth attached the following image(s):
DSC_1892_3.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Hans
#26 Posted : 27 May 2015 09:26:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good find Garth, have sent you a pm.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
CAThompson
#27 Posted : 27 May 2015 12:21:29

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Greetings,

Good luck with the stirring sticks.

Light up the ship. The interior becomes SO dark that you cannot see stuff on the lower deck at all. I used 3mm Amber flicker LEDs. They fit great and the diode looks like the flame on the candle. I first folded the part and then made the brass black. The round part of the LED was filed flat. I then coated it with a little Canopy Glue (PVA may work too) and placed it in the lantern cage. The bottom of the lantern was set in place and the whole thing left to dry. The glue filled in the lantern glass areas. The top of the lanter was painted black.

Get extra lanterns. I did and I should have had two or three more on my lower deck.

For candles I placed a flicker LED under the deck and ran a fiber optic through the floor. The tip was left clear but the rest of the fiber was painted black to hide it and white for the candle.

Hope you give it a try.

Christopher
Current builds:
HMS Victory
Black Pearl

Builds on hold:
Millennum Falcon
USS Constellation

Future Builds:
Hanse Kogge (14th C)
Mary Rose (16th C)
Garth
#28 Posted : 28 May 2015 06:56:40

Hi Hans & Christopher,

Thanks for looking in.

Hans, hope you were able to get the stirrers.

Thanks Christopher, for your suggestions on the lighting.

Kind regards,

Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#29 Posted : 09 June 2015 07:57:31

Hi all,

I think that it is important to tests on some scrap material first, especially with wood stains – it’s very hard to go back if you don’t like the final result.

Concluded the paint/stain tests this weekend. I have always used alcohol based wood dies to stain my timber, but I decided to experiment a little on my Pearl. My modelling time is very limited, so waiting for varnish to dry drives me insane.

I have found an acrylic wood stain, sealer combination that dries in 15 min – now that’s more like it!!! It has a semi- gloss finish, but that is easily knocked off with some 600 sandpaper. Being acrylic – it’s a water clean-up too!!!
ThumpUp
Kind regards,
Garth
DSC_1906_02.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#30 Posted : 09 June 2015 08:00:53

My acrylic tests. Settled for a light oak for the decks and ebony for the ribs and outer planking.
DSC_2313_02.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Hans
#31 Posted : 09 June 2015 12:37:32

Hello Garth, good contrast should go well together.
Rgds, Hans
Current Build:
Garth
#32 Posted : 10 June 2015 07:55:59

Hi Hans,
Thanks for looking in.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
arpurchase
#33 Posted : 10 June 2015 21:25:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin The deck will look great with that colour, GarthCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Garth
#34 Posted : 11 June 2015 20:58:33

Hi Andy,
Thanks for looking in and for your comments on my deck colour. I suppose that most of the colour on the Black Pearl is black, but as the section is very dark, the lighter deck colour should make the interior more visible - hopefully.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#35 Posted : 22 July 2015 16:35:02

Hi All,

Spent some time on the Pearl this weekend. I have been at odds as to the make of stain/paint to use, I have done some tests with Acrylic stain, paint and an alchol based timber dye.
I eventually settled on the timber dye. It has a matt finish and the beauty is that it is dry enough to handle in minutes. The down side is that if you take it too far - there's no undoing it and it capillaries like crazy.
Well I stained the ribs and the underside of the starboard deck. I have seen that some have extended the section to reveal the rock ballast. Keen to start laying the deck BigGrin

Kind regards,

Garth
DSC_1902_2.jpg
DSC_2343_01.jpg
DSC_2344_01.jpg
DSC_2345_01.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
arpurchase
#36 Posted : 22 July 2015 20:35:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin nicely done, will you be putting in the ballast too
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Garth
#37 Posted : 22 July 2015 20:46:16

Hi Andy,
Thanks for looking in. Yes I would like to show the ballast, something like Tony (Swordfish Fairey) has done.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
stevie_o
#38 Posted : 22 July 2015 21:17:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

davetwin
#39 Posted : 22 July 2015 22:12:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks like a nice start BigGrin This does build into a rather nice model, look forward to seeing your progress Cool
Garth
#40 Posted : 23 July 2015 07:05:38

Hi Steve and Dave,
Thanks for looking in and for the kind words.
Regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,