Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

38 Pages <12345>»
Garth's Black Pearl Options
Gandale
#41 Posted : 23 July 2015 10:39:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nicely done Garth, looking good.... Cool Cool ..

Regards

Alan
Garth
#42 Posted : 27 July 2015 07:32:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Hi Alan,
Thanks for looking in, and for the kind words.
Regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Garth
#43 Posted : 18 September 2015 08:34:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi All,
I was a little concerned that the barrels etc. may not be enough. I.e. that the hold may appear a little thin with the parts supplied. I had some time at work and I made some barrels and chests. I then made a mould and cast them out of resin. Unfortunately, there are some imperfections and air bubbles, but as they will be positioned in a dark hold, this should not be a problem. (Famous last words – hope not)
F.Y.I. Whilst looking for images of the Pearls hold I found that viewing the movie on my PC through VLC Media player, I was able to pause the movie and take a snapshot (click on video, then take snapshot. It saves it in My Pictures folder by default) of the movie, not the entire screen as with the ‘Print Screen’ key.
Hope this helps.
Garth
Garth attached the following image(s):
DSC_2434_01.jpg
DSC_2435_01.jpg
DSC_2432_01.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Martyn Ingram
#44 Posted : 18 September 2015 09:39:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Wow they look good well done GarthCool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Hans
#45 Posted : 21 September 2015 06:48:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some excellent work going on there Garth. Well done and keep it up.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Garth
#46 Posted : 21 September 2015 11:05:17

Hi Martyn and Hans,
Thank you for looking in and for the kind words.
Regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#47 Posted : 05 October 2015 09:45:44

Hi All.
Began planking using the coffee stirrers. It has gone quite well – I chopped off the ends and glued them down. I used my lead weights to hold them in place.

My main concern here was that the deck was never designed to be planked, and that raising the deck height by 1mm was going complicate matters down the line. I.e. the height cell walls and bulkhead columns are going to be affected by this.

I see my options as being; to plank the deck and trim the cell walls etc, reduce the thickness of the mdf deck, or leave openings in the planking for the parts to slot in. I chose this method as the mdf deck is already thin and I think that it adds to the structure of the model and cutting all the cells and columns, well I just don’t feel like doing that. I may have chosen the more difficult approach – well I really enjoy planking.
DSC_2346_01.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#48 Posted : 05 October 2015 09:47:46

I installed the cells and marked their position. I then removed them and began planking.
I have made a planking nailer jig at work. I call him “Spyker” (Nail in Afrikaans) it has really sped up the process.
DSC_2349_01.jpg
DSC_2348_01.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#49 Posted : 05 October 2015 09:50:25

Perhaps a silly question, but how do you add text below an image? I would like to upload a photo with a short description/explanation.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
arpurchase
#50 Posted : 05 October 2015 19:08:20

BigGrin Now that looks a neat little tool I would patent it quick and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#51 Posted : 05 October 2015 22:49:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice tool there Garth Cool the Soyker that is Tongue

The only to add text below an image would be to either add the text onto the image itself in or alternatively you will need to host the image on something like photo-bucket. Still resize it as normal

You can them insert the image into your post between the image commands

[img.]image url here[/img.]

You need to take the full stops out though, I had to put them in otherwise it would have tried posting an image.

You can then put text above or below that image code so it appears above or below the picture.

Another option is to just number the photos

Hope that helps
Gandale
#52 Posted : 06 October 2015 00:18:37

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Garth and love the new tool....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#53 Posted : 06 October 2015 07:04:28

Hi Andy, Dave and Alan,
Thanks for looking in. Thank you Dave for the tips on adding text to images. I upload my pics from the pc, I don't us a separate host site. I will give it a go.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#54 Posted : 04 November 2015 07:21:49

Hi All,
Progress on my Pearl has been fairly slow lately. Every chance that I have had to model, I’ve spent it working on the Victory.
I added a little more planking and built the cells. I decided to build the cells as a sub assembly, this should make finishing the bars a little easier.
I glued a coffee stirrer to the edge of the deck to look like a Nibbing Strake – I’ll sand it later to follow the shape of the Supa wood.
Kind regards,
Garth
DSC_2486_02.jpg
DSC_2488_02.jpg
DSC_2489_02.jpg
DSC_2490_02.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Martyn Ingram
#55 Posted : 04 November 2015 07:52:20

BigGrin Nice to see back on the pearl Garth she is looking good Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Hans
#56 Posted : 04 November 2015 08:47:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good idea there Garth, off the model is often less complicated. Well done, clever little tool you have made there, appropriately named.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Gandale
#57 Posted : 04 November 2015 12:16:27

Looks good Garth and progress is progress regardless how slow it is.... Look forward to your next update....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#58 Posted : 06 November 2015 06:37:35

Hi Martyn, Hans & Alan,
Thanks again for looking in.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#59 Posted : 06 November 2015 06:37:44

Hi Martyn, Hans & Alan,
Thanks again for looking in.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
ian smith
#60 Posted : 06 November 2015 13:47:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Garth.
Progressing nicely. keep the pictures coming Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.