Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

38 Pages «<3334353637>»
Garth's Black Pearl Options
RM1
#681 Posted : 10 October 2020 19:58:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Very nice work with the Lathe Garth !!
Malc.
Garth
#682 Posted : 14 October 2020 04:34:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

goddo wrote:
Garth,
the most important part of your last post is the pic with the tea cup in it!!

Thanks Chris 😂BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin ....... if it was afternoon it would have been a beer bottle LOL LOL LOL
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Garth
#683 Posted : 14 October 2020 04:44:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

birdaj2 wrote:
Impressive lathe work Garth.

Always good to see someone that can use one of these to get both ends of the spar nice and even.

My attempts in the past have never been ideal.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Thank you for looking in and for the kind words.
We had lathes at school and since then I've always had a thing for lathes.
FYI I don't use the cross slide & cutting tool, I just use a sanding block to taper the yard.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Garth
#684 Posted : 14 October 2020 05:09:29

delboy271155 wrote:
That`s impressive work on the yards.BigGrin

Great use of a mini lathe. Cool Cool Cool

Looking forward to the next update.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Hi Derek,
Thanks for looking in and for the kind words. Sadly the lathes on loan and will have to be returned.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#685 Posted : 14 October 2020 05:11:29

Hi Phil,
Thanks for looking in and for the kind reply.
Regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#686 Posted : 14 October 2020 05:14:00

RM1 wrote:
Very nice work with the Lathe Garth !!
Malc.

Hi Malc,
Thanks for the kind words.
Regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#687 Posted : 14 October 2020 14:51:00

Part 10 Sails

My last real bit of scratch building on this build will be the sails. This part has been really concerning me as I had no idea where to start. I looked up some business that do alterations to clothes in our area and the reply was a questioning gaze …” you want me to sew what?!!!” Cursing
Well that idea put to bed I had to look elsewhere. I have my late aunt Ethel’s old Singer sewing machine in my garage. I have basically kept it as it may have some collector value. Fortunately, it is in superb condition and it still has the original manual. Crying
After a quick read through the manual, I was sewing basic rows in no time at all. Further scratching revealed some pins, and I was A-for-Away.Cool
If you are following my build, you will need extra linen. I think it came with issue 119. Otherwise any suitable cloth will work. Remember, the L drawings are for printing to scale. One other thing, I off-set the cut-out line by 7mm, perhaps leave around 10mm for the seam.
I cut the sails using my templates, folded and pinned the hems. Following that I sewed vertical lines at about 15mm intervals to suggest the various sheets of material. After a couple of hours, I had a set of sails – much easier than I expected.
In hindsight, I could have made the fore & main topgallant longer, but I am happy as is.
I painted the sails using matt black and draped the wet sails over a gas bottle hoping that they would maintain the gentle curve when dry. Not too successful though. Once dry I followed my grey dry brush formula and added a tinge of GW Sybarite Green.
I have some of the brass rings left over from my Victory jibs, a quick pass through the Brass Black and the jib was ready to go.
Once done I attached the sails to the yards as per the Victory instructions (HMSV Dual Pack 11 DL, p454) and added the blocks as per my drawings.

Kind regards,
Garth
File Attachment(s):
10 Sails 1of4_Large.jpg (1,167kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
11 Sails 2of4_Large.jpg (1,176kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
12 Sails 3of4_Large.jpg (1,075kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
13 Sails 4of4_Large.jpg (1,082kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
Garth attached the following image(s):
10 Sails 1of4_Small.jpg
11 Sails 2of4_Small.jpg
12 Sails 3of4_Small.jpg
13 Sails 4of4_Small.jpg
DSC_6975_02.jpg
DSC_6976_02.jpg
DSC_6977_02.jpg
DSC_6978_02.jpg
DSC_6981_02.jpg
DSC_6982_02.jpg
DSC_6984_02.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
z8000783
#688 Posted : 14 October 2020 16:37:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Great work Garth, an inspiration to us all.

Sticky Wickett
#689 Posted : 15 October 2020 20:50:11

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic attention to detail Garth. Superb build!Drool Love

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
Garth
#690 Posted : 21 October 2020 13:22:21

Thank you John & Phil for looking in and for the kind words.
Regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
goddo
#691 Posted : 21 October 2020 13:26:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Nice work Garth
Loving this build
Chris
Garth
#692 Posted : 22 October 2020 06:26:09

goddo wrote:
Nice work Garth
Loving this build
Chris

Thanks for the words of encouragement Chris.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#693 Posted : 22 October 2020 06:37:41

Hi All,
Before I begin, just a short summary of my running rigging process:

Anatomy of a Sail (on my ship anyway)Blushing

One of the reasons that I am attracted to sail ships, is the multitude of lines that fill the space between the masts & sails. They seem to traverse the model in a hap-hazard way and to the layman and look like a bird’s nest (What my fishing real sometimes looks like). I think that due to this, many people are put off by the complexity of the rigging.

By breaking this down and taking one sail at a time, I have only used 7 lines. Essentially the same set of lines are just repeated on the other side and then again on each sail above.

As I mentioned earlier, this is by no means a document on the design of sails. It is basically a ‘look-feel’ attempt to have a plausible set of sails on my model. So, for the purists out there – please forgive me. I drew in the lines in the instructions (01 Halyards, 02 Yard Lifts & 06 Brace) then added lines until my drawing looked busy enough. I have left out several lines, bow lines, tack braces to name a few.

I have attempted to illustrate this on the images below.

01 Halyard – raise and lower the yard.
02 Yard Lift – adjust the angle of the yard.
03 Sheet – adjust the tension of the sail above.
04 Buntlines – used to restrain the loose centre of the sail when furled. I fitted two to the lower sails.
05 Clew line – used to haul the corner of the sail up to the yard.
06 Brace – used to rotate the yard around the mast, that will allow the ship to sail at the desired angle to the wind.
07 Lower sail Sheet – adjust the tension of the lower sail.

Basically, every sail, bar the Jib and Lateen Sail are rigged in exactly the same manner, the only difference being the belaying point.
14 Anatomy of a Saill_01.jpg
15 Anatomy of a Saill_01.jpg
16 Anatomy of a Saill_01.jpg
17 Anatomy of a Sail_01.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#694 Posted : 10 November 2020 08:30:35

11 Running Rigging & Attaching the Sails

This wraps up my planning for the rigging. Once again only open the ‘Large’ drawings if you intend printing them.

Notes on my running rigging:
• I will show the rigging for the fore masts sails in detail; the main mast is identical the only difference being the belaying points
• I used the 0.25mm thread supplied with the kit for all the running rigging
• Each thread was pulled through my nubbin of bees’ wax a couple of times. This removes the fluff and seems to make the thread ridged
• A bit of pure white glue rubbed into the tip helps the thread to pass through the blocks
• All the knots are sealed with diluted white glue
• I ran a 0.8mm drill bit in a Pin vice through the blocks to clean out the hole before threading
• Good light is a must. I did most of the rigging on the veranda under an umbrella
• Only rigging sails at this point, (Halyard, yard lift, sheet, bunt & clew lines) will do verticals braces and lower sheet once these are complete. It’s mainly so that I can get my hands between the masts
• The cream numbers 1-31 are the belaying points indicated on the original plans, and the light blue numbers 32-62 are my belaying points
File Attachment(s):
18 Belaying Placement 1of2_Large.jpg (1,565kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
19 Belaying Placement 2of2_Large.jpg (1,350kb) downloaded 16 time(s).
18 Belaying Placement 1of2_Small.jpg
19 Belaying Placement 2of2_Small.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Gandale
#695 Posted : 11 November 2020 00:27:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Garth, this is such an outstanding build from start to present, you should be very proud of your efforts. The level of detail, planning and construction is certainly top notch, in addition you should be congratulated for the excellent upkeep of your build diary. Love Love

Your efforts have certainly been noticed, so much so it has been decided to recognise your achievements by awarding you with the Yellow Medal, an award that is for the construction of outstanding builds and is seldom given. Congratulations and very well deserved.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#696 Posted : 11 November 2020 07:55:28

Hi Alan,
WOW!!! What a surprise when I opened my diary this morning.
Thank you so much, it is so appreciatedBlushing (It has come a a time that I could do with a pick-me-up)
Once again thank you.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
delboy271155
#697 Posted : 11 November 2020 17:36:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp WTG ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

No more than you deserve for an excellent build and diary.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

nightwisher
#698 Posted : 12 November 2020 23:17:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Congratulations on your yellow medal. Very much deserved for an excellent build and diary Love
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
goddo
#699 Posted : 13 November 2020 00:32:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Garth,
Congratulations on your yellow medal award.
Well deserved, not only for the build but your excellent diary as well.
Chris
z8000783
#700 Posted : 13 November 2020 07:18:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Amazing work work, Garth.