Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <1234>»
Santìsima Trinidad by Jack.Aubrey - De Agostini - Scale 1:90 - Full Model Options
jack.aubrey
#21 Posted : 03 November 2014 17:46:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007

New closer images of the decks, gratings and stairs ... same date as the previous message.
jack.aubrey attached the following image(s):
Page04pic001.jpg
Page04pic002.jpg
jack.aubrey
#22 Posted : 03 November 2014 17:48:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007

And now, let's change completely ...

Just in the middle of the planking activites of the ship hull, the magazine "management" decided to have a break in the main building plan and start, in another shipyard, to build one of the ship's boats (....)

The following is the longboat. It's length is about 13 centimeters. And the history begins ...

First, the hull assembly: the keel, the bulkheads. The several pieces are glued each other and then are glued turned upside down on a plywood tablet to maintain rigid the structure. I have unfortunately no photos of the boat at this stage.

Second, the planks. The stripes are very, very small but also flexible. I used a special kind (less liquid) of cyano-acrylate glue to mount the planks. I glued together with the boat also my fingers several times but, finally also this unbelivable step was terminated.

Third, finishing the hull: filler where necessary (two or three very small places) and sanding. Then I have fixed the keel, the front and the rear.

Fourth, the boat was removed from the tablet by cutting the bulhead hedges and then I started to work on the internal fittings and the rudder.

Fifth, sixth, etc. and finally the boat is completed.

At this point the boat should be terminated by painting her with matt transparent enamel. But I didn't like this kind of painting and so I decided to add some color here and there ...

Today the boat is finished without oars. The building instructions do not explain if the oars will be built in the future. If not I will decide at the proper time if it is worth to build them, in spite of the intructions, or not.

Next: the second boat ... but, for now, four images of the longboat.
Page04pic003.jpg
Page04pic004.jpg
Page04pic005.jpg
Page04pic006.jpg
jack.aubrey
#23 Posted : 04 November 2014 12:59:29

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007

Second part of the ship's boats history ............

Having realized I had to build another boat, smaller than the previous, this time I decided to pursuit another way.

Instead of using the instructions and the material shipped with the magazine I used another method: I found in a shop a hull of a boat, same size of the one I had to build and I started to work on it.

1) The hull was made with wood so what I had to do was only to plank it. I used mahogany veneer strips and vinylinc glue.

2) After the planking, I mounted the complete keel, included the front and the rear.

3) Then the plaksheer, made with plywood of the proper height and shape. And the internal fittings.

4) As in the previous boat I decided to paint (in red) the planksheer.

Here follows four views of the second ship's boat. I amused myself and I am happy with the result.
Page04pic008.jpg
Page04pic009.jpg
Page04pic010.jpg
Page04pic007x.jpg
jack.aubrey
#24 Posted : 04 November 2014 13:04:59

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007

The next four photos are dated March 25th, 2007.

The work on the Santisima Trinidad didn't progress too much in this period of time. I have highlighted with rectangles the area of activity.

Most important is that I have started the second planking.

The strips used are of two kinds: "ramin" for the upper part of the hull and "sapele" for the lower.

While the sapele strips are very, very good in terms of quality and consistency, the ramin one have not the same quality and are quite difficult to work. Anyway the work progresses quite well.

Added some more details to the stairs between the middle deck and the upper deck. Added the iron balls to the upper deck grating ... and so on.
Page04pic011.jpg
Page04pic012.jpg
Page04pic013.jpg
Page04pic014.jpg
jack.aubrey
#25 Posted : 04 November 2014 13:07:31

Posted: Fri May 18, 2007

Here we are at April 20th, 2007.

This month, for the first time when I started the Santìsima Trinidad, I have missed a shipment. More in detail the postal service has not yet delivered the box with the instructions and the materials.

So I cannot proceed on the model. But I decided to proceed anyway, also because it was easily intuitive what there was to do.

The risk to do something wrong was low, so I decided to finish planking the upper part of the hull.

Work very easy and with no surprises at all. The only boring task was to cut the gun holes every two lines of strips. But is was easy. The only problem came from the quality of the "ramin"strips ... but they were solved with some additional work. Last I've applied the danish oil to the decks and the planked sides.

At the time I'm writing the missed (april) shipment is finally arrived (a month later) together with the may's shipment. So now I'm working strongly in order to recover the lost time.

But this time I have made some photos of the planking that will be useful for my next message.

As usually some picture of the ship on April 20th.
Page04pic015.jpg
Page04pic016.jpg
Page04pic017.jpg
Page04pic018.jpg
Page04pic019.jpg
davetwin
#26 Posted : 04 November 2014 13:22:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Simply beautiful Jack.

Love following your build logs
jack.aubrey
#27 Posted : 07 November 2014 12:05:22

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007

May 2007.

This month I have received the shipment of the previous month. Two days later I have also received the current month shipment.

After the usual review of the material/instructions included I realize that this month there is a lot of work to do: at least the equivalent of april and may together.

The first task is to plank the upper part of the hull with strips of ramin: this was already done (refer to my previous message).

The second task is to plank with mahogany veneer strips tho lower part of the hull. Previously I had to lay two strips close to the upper part and four strips close to the keel (see some previous images). Here there was nothing of really difficult, only two small stealers in the stern area.

Now I have to add three other strips from the bottom to the top: simple and easily done.
And after I have to start planking from the top in the direction of the bottom. Here there are some initial problems. But the instructions are very detailed and the work progresses nicely.

Some planks are not layed until the end of the stem or the stern. They follow the natural shape and curves of the hull and must stop before. The next four photos, two from the stem and two from the stern, explain better than many words what I mean. As you can see there are in these areas some small triangles where the planks are missing.

During these tasks I use the vinylic glue. It is fast enough to avoid clamps or other mechanical tools. What is now necessary and useful is sometimes (in the stem and stern areas) the usage of adhesive tape for some minutes.

The work is continuing ..... bye.
Page05pic001.jpg
Page05pic002.jpg
Page05pic003.jpg
Page05pic004.jpg
jack.aubrey
#28 Posted : 07 November 2014 12:09:56

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007

May 2007.

The job is still in progress .... some new planks of veneer are added from the top towards the bottom. A final effort and the task will be complete.

The next time I'll exercise myself by planking a eggplant or a water-melon.

The white triangles at the stem and the stern are also growing. In the next message I will explain how to cover them.
Page05pic005.jpg
Page05pic006.jpg
Page05pic007.jpg
jase
#29 Posted : 07 November 2014 12:50:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nicley done
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jack.aubrey
#30 Posted : 08 November 2014 19:26:04

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007

May 2007.

I have terminated to lay the veneer planks in the lower part of the hull.

Now there are a lot of short and long white triangles (or trapezium) where it wasn't possible to glue the plank. I think that the previous photos let you imagine very well what to do next: build for every unplanked area a triangle or a trapezium of veneer to glue inside.

This photo (a picture from the instructions contained in the magazine) explain how to build this piece of wood: take the proper measurement, cut the plank at the right lenght and after, using a cutter and a ruler, cut diagonally the strip. It's not so simple but at 90% this will be enough. In some cases you need some adjustments with the cutter and or sandpaper.
Page05pic008.jpg
jack.aubrey
#31 Posted : 08 November 2014 19:28:21

May 2007.

Once you have built the stealer or the drop plank (these should be the names of the triangles) and, more important, you have tested if the piece fits correctly, you simply need to fix it in place by using some glue and, optionally same adhesive tape.

The attached picture shows the method.
Page05pic009.jpg
jack.aubrey
#32 Posted : 08 November 2014 19:31:45

May 2007.

Once you have fixed the first stealer/drop plank, you need to repeat the same process for every empty area on the hull and, at the end (of the end), this should be the final and desired result.

It's very easy, do you agree ?

NB: This is not my model but a picture from the magazine, next some very (very) recent photos of mine model.
Page05pic010.jpg
jack.aubrey
#33 Posted : 10 November 2014 12:52:41

May 2007.

And this is the Santisima Trinidad after I have terminated the second planking.

I had to spend three hours with sandpaper, and in very few places with some colored filler ... before to achieve this result but I think it is satisfactory.

The photos have been taken before the application of the oil. For this reason the color of the wood is not fully enjoyable. With the oil it looks much better. Now I have to wait two or three days to allow the oil to dry and the next activity will be the istallation of the whales ....

But to do this I need to think a way to curve properly the strips for the whales (mm. 2 x 4).

I'm thinking to adopt the following method: build some woodden blocks of the right shape of the curves and lock the strips (kept in water and ammonium for sometime) in the between.
But I need also time to do some other tests with steamers and/or a candle. There are also special pliers. After I will decide.

Bye to the next time .....
Page05pic011.jpg
Page05pic012.jpg
Page05pic013.jpg
Page05pic014.jpg
Page05pic015.jpg
jack.aubrey
#34 Posted : 10 November 2014 12:57:38

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007

As anticipated in my previous message I have prepared some jigs to curve the strips I have to use for the whales. The whales are made of african walnut of mm. 2x4 and are very hard.

The following photo shows one of the jigs I have done. The jig consists of two parts, that I call male and female. There is also an example of the strips obtained. The thickness of the jig can accept three strips at a time. Every whale is made of up to three stripes.

I proceed as follows:

- soak in water and ammonia for 24 hours three strips;
- preadapt the soaked strips to the curve by working with a candle;
- block these strips between the male and the female components of the jig;
- with some rope and adhesive tape, keep together the male and the female;
- leave the strips to dry for 24 hours;
- in the meantime I soak in water and ammonia three other strips.

As you can see the stripes are curved in the right way and, most important, they maintain the desired shape.

The installation at this point is only a matter of patience:
- take care to glue the stripes in the proper position on the hull (this is particularly important for the first of the three);
- once the whale is done, level the stripes with sandpaper.

Initially I used the vinyl glue but I wasn't satisfied, so I tryed with the cyan glue and I found this method perfect.

I had some problems with the quality of the stripes, mainly for differences in the color and in size. I have solved the differences in size with sandpaper but I haven't a same solution for the color.

I think I will adopt one of the followinf two solutions:
- use mordant color for wood to uniform the colors or
- use black enamel to color the whales.
Page05pic016.jpg
jack.aubrey
#35 Posted : 11 November 2014 14:04:12

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007

The next photos are done after the installation of some wales on the starboard side. I have decided to finish this side before attacking the larboard one. Please note the noticeable color differences of the wales.
Page06pic001.jpg
Page06pic002.jpg
jack.aubrey
#36 Posted : 11 November 2014 14:07:33

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007

In the meantime I am preparing and installing the wales of the startboard side, I made another interesting activity.

In the previous photos of the hull you have probably noticed that the sternpost, the stemson and the keel are not there.

In the may shipment of the magazine these pieces are included.

Unfortunately, after a quick review of this material I found them of poor quality: I was expecting some kind of solid wood and I found'em made of plywood !! Also the cut wasn't perpendicular !!
I decided this was unacceptable for me and so I have used this material as a sample to reproduce my own pieces.
Obviously they are all made with solid mahogany wood.

I then mounted the sternpost and the keel in the proper position on the hull. At the moment I have not yet installed the stemson because I have to finish the whales before. But the piece is ready.

The following image shows the stemson ready for the installation.
Page06pic003.jpg
jack.aubrey
#37 Posted : 11 November 2014 14:10:19

The following two pictures show the same detail of the sternpost and part of the keel. The second was made some seconds after the first. For the second photo I used the flash. Note the difference in color ... they seem two different models !
Page06pic004.jpg
Page06pic005.jpg
jack.aubrey
#38 Posted : 11 November 2014 15:18:57

And here are two other images taken in the same day. I like particularly the second one. Note that I have applied the danish oil in the lower part of the hull.

THE OIL ! I have to say that this oil is simply fantastic. Once it is dryed perfectly (3-5 days) the appearance of the wood is very, very nice.

Compare these photos with the same without the oil and you will discover the difference ! I'm honestly thinking not to use the varnish as final painting and, instead, to apply another coating of this oil.

Has anyone soggestions / experiences regarding this idea ? Any comment is well accepted.
Page06pic006.jpg
Page06pic007.jpg
jack.aubrey
#39 Posted : 11 November 2014 15:22:38

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007

The starboard side of my Santìsima Trinidad is now completed. In addition to the wales, made with walnut, there are, in the topmost side of the hull, some veneer stripes of mahogany.
Page06pic008.jpg
Page06pic009.jpg
jack.aubrey
#40 Posted : 11 November 2014 15:26:10

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007

Three more detailed images of the starboard side of my Santìsima Trinidad.

In these images you can easily see that the whales have been coloured. Normally they should be black but I have decided to use a different method.

Instead of using an acrylic black paint I have used a powder for coloring wood to be diluted in water. I think its name is mordant but I am not 100% sure. This powder is available to simulate several kind of woods. I have choosen the ebony type. As you know ebony is practically black.

I have applied this liquid with a paintbrush for three times in order to fill as much as possible the color. Finally I have applied another color (mahogany) for a fourth time.

The result is a very dark brown, close to black, that I like very much.
Now I'm working in the same way on the larboard side.
Page06pic010.jpg
Page06pic011.jpg
Page06pic012.jpg