Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <12345>»
Santìsima Trinidad by Jack.Aubrey - De Agostini - Scale 1:90 - Full Model Options
birdaj2
#41 Posted : 11 November 2014 21:21:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Jack

A very lovely looking build. So accurate and neat -, really looks brilliant.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jack.aubrey
#42 Posted : 11 November 2014 22:06:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007

PS: at the moment of writing I have received a new shipment (month of june) of material and instructions.

I have discovered that the last wale, the one close to the waterline is not complete: I have to install another strip in the position of the arrow of the second photo and to continue the wale towards the poop. This is an interesting curve to do !!

I am also modifying the stemson in order to have it made of three pieces, more similar as it was in reality. One of these pieces is showed in the first photo.
jack.aubrey attached the following image(s):
Page06pic013.jpg
Page06pic014.jpg
jack.aubrey
#43 Posted : 11 November 2014 22:10:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007

June 5th, 2007.

Finally I have finished to install the wales. Both sides are done ... and as usually, the second side done is resulting the better. The importance of the experience ...

As you can see I have completed the lower wales in the stern area with the critical curve near the sternpost.
Page07pic001.jpg
Page07pic002.jpg
jack.aubrey
#44 Posted : 11 November 2014 22:15:21

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007

After the wales I am now working on some details on the hull.

The first image shows some kind of reinforcements that were installed on the vessel in the proximity of what should be the waist (the waist was not present on the S.S.Trinidad because she was a four decker, but it's very common in the two deckers).

I have now to glue the last pieces of these reinforcements but I'm now soaking the strips, so I need another one or two days before having terminated this activity.

The remaining images are some details of the bow, with the stemson in evidence. I'm working on the small deck where will start the bowsprit.

In evidence the two half cylinders near the doors. I think everybody knows what they are ..... (the toilets)
Page07pic003.jpg
Page07pic004.jpg
Page07pic005.jpg
Page07pic006.jpg
davetwin
#45 Posted : 11 November 2014 22:52:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful work Jack, a pleasure to follow, she is a stunning ship
jack.aubrey
#46 Posted : 12 November 2014 11:39:42

Thanks davetwin for your comment, greatly appeciated. This model represents my return to active shipmodeling after 40 years of inactivity . .

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007

These three images are showing the model as it was yesterday, June 23.

They show the overall model. With respect of my previous messages I have done some new activities that I will show and explain better in the next messages, that will follow soon.
Page07pic007.jpg
Page07pic008.jpg
Page07pic009.jpg
jack.aubrey
#47 Posted : 12 November 2014 13:14:13

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007

As promised I'm back to show more details on the work done .....

Here I will show the results of my work in the stem area. During these activities I accidentally broke a piece of the stemson, just near the figurehead should be installed.

The reason of this accident was due to the wrong direction of the wood fibres, that made the piece fragile. To repair the mistake I had to:
- glue the broken piece
- plank in the right direction some strips of mahogany (1x5mm.)
- level the three strips in ramin (the quasi-white wood) and install three new strips over them.
After that the piece is fully repaired and strong enough. The only problem is that now it is two millimeters wider.

In the last photo it is possible to see also the now finished lateral reinforcements of the wales in the middle of the hull.
Page07pic010.jpg
Page07pic011.jpg
Page07pic012.jpg
jack.aubrey
#48 Posted : 12 November 2014 15:45:27

The next three photos show the work done in another area of the hull.

In practice I have installed the planksheer all around the sides of the hull. The plaksheer is done with a strip of mahogany of mm. 2x7 and, once installed, it lays not as a straight line, but as a very, very large curve. In order to install it properly I have adopted the following technique:

- I have applied on the surface to be glued, for the 90% the vynilic Pattex Express
- In the remaining 10%, at the two extremities and in the middle, I have used the Super Attack Gel.
- I have then positioned the plaksheer in the proper position with the large curve,
- I hold it for some seconds in order to have the cyan-acrilate gel dry and ... the piece was installed.
- Wait then for a couple of hours and the installation can be refined with sandpaper, ect.

The only exception is the two planksheers in the forecastle area. Here the curve was more sensible and it wasn't possible to force the strips in the right position.
Here the planksheer is made up of three pieces. I had to refine the results a little bit more but I am satisfied.
Page07pic013.jpg
Page07pic014.jpg
Page07pic015.jpg
jack.aubrey
#49 Posted : 12 November 2014 15:49:59

Then, as last activity done, I have started to paint the lower part of the hull. In the attached image the area below the blue line.

I the past the area was coated with danish oil that now is totally dry. In this area I don't foresee further activities, with the exception of the installation of the rudder.
So, in my mind, it was time to do something. I used then a transparent matt varnish with two main objectives:
1) fill as much as possible the invisible slits (I hope this is the right word)
2) protect the lower part of the hull from any possible accidental damage

Working on this activity I have done a quite strange experience. In practice I have applied the same paint, practically in the same moment, over two different types of wood, both coated previously with oil: 1) sapele and 2) walnut.
The result was that the day after the coat of varnish, I found it completely dry over the sapele wood and absolutely wet over the walnut !! It took four additional days to dry over the walnut !! I can't explain this fact. Has anyone tasted the same experience ?

Please note in the image the new stand. I had to build it when the keel clanper was no further usable on this model. It is very, very stable and, if needed, can be clamped to the workbench. Also the lateral wale reinforcements are clearly visible here.
Page07pic016.jpg
jack.aubrey
#50 Posted : 13 November 2014 10:09:49

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007

Back yesterday from my Tuscany trip in Pisa and Leghorn, but ....

The training ship "Amerigo Vespucci" was offshore ....
bad weather .... clouds and wind ....
no baths were possible at all.

In the meantime I received four new issues of the magazine and the work on Santisima Trinidad can be resumed.

Lot of small things to do .. with lot of patience. Next I will:

- build the rudder
- continue to work on the bow
- terminate the forecastle
- apply the last planksheers on the poop deck.
Page07pic017.jpg
jack.aubrey
#51 Posted : 13 November 2014 10:11:19

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007

First activity after my (short) holiday was this one. In practice a very simple detail on the bow. I don't know the name of this piece. They are two holes in each side of the hull, with their reinforcements, from which the anchors were raised or lowered. The difficulty here was to drill the hole considering the two levels of wood.
Page08pic001.jpg
jack.aubrey
#52 Posted : 13 November 2014 10:12:37

The next two photos are documenting another activity, this one much more long and difficult of the previous: the construction of the fiferail with its timber heads. I hope fiferail is the proper name. I've found it on "The 100-gun ship Victory", a book from John McKay, Conway Maritime Press.

I took about 3 hours to cut the timber heads and to sand them properly. In addition I had to use my Dremel tool to adapt the size of the square holes in the fiferail and in the underneath planksheer.

I consider the final result as very, very good. Then I have coated the fiferail and the timber heads with transparent paint. Next I will try to refine better the heads.

To complete the forecastle I need now to prepare 18 additional heads, 9 per each side and to fix them on the forecastle planksheer.
A very ..... boring job !
Page08pic002.jpg
Page08pic003.jpg
jack.aubrey
#53 Posted : 13 November 2014 10:15:28

Here are some images of the last activity, on the poop area.

Here I have finally terminated to install all the planksheers, with the same tecnique explained sometime ago. In addition I'm now working to prepare the transom to receive the decorations.

I have no idea how the work will proceed in this area because I have not yet received material and instructions bu I know the final result should be very similar to the first attached image. This is not my model, it's an image from a forum member that kindly sent me some photos of his model.
Page08pic004.jpg
Page08pic005.jpg
Page08pic006.jpg
Page08pic007.jpg
jack.aubrey
#54 Posted : 13 November 2014 10:17:54

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007

Five new photos of the work done yesterday afternoon.

I have built and installed 18 new timber heads in the forecastle. It seems easy but in practice I spent more or less 3 hours around them.

I started from a plank of walnut of 4x4mm. Each head is 6mm long. When the 18 pieces were ready I drill all of them in order to insert and glue a pivot. In practice a nail of brass.

Then I drill 18 holes on the planksheer in the proper position and finally I have fixed the timber heads into them. As glue I used Super Attack.

That's all for now. Regards.
Page08pic008.jpg
Page08pic009.jpg
Page08pic010.jpg
Page08pic011.jpg
Page08pic012.jpg
jack.aubrey
#55 Posted : 13 November 2014 18:22:12

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007

Here is a sequence of images of the starboard side, fore and aft.

The activity here performed was the installation of the gun frames, made of (I believe) anodyzed aluminium, in the quarterdeck.

I had to adapt the gunport holes with a file but the result is very satisfactory.

In the first photo, the green circle in the extreme right higlights the square hole ready for the istallation of the cathead.

I had to use the cyanacrylate. It's the only glue useful in this situation: fast, clean and strong.

The real work will start in the underneath decks !!!! Here the frames are different and I have to adapt many holes to align them to the wales.
I made some trials and the proper tool is the Dremel with a milling cutter and a lot of patience.
I also think that before proceeding with the frames installation it should be better to paint the area with some coats of transparent paint. Also a coat of black in the refined holes. In this latter case I will need some days to complete this task and resume the frames.
Page08pic013.jpg
Page08pic014.jpg
Page08pic015.jpg
Page08pic016.jpg
jack.aubrey
#56 Posted : 14 November 2014 14:17:17

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007

Last, an image of the rudder, partially finished.
Page08pic017.jpg
jack.aubrey
#57 Posted : 14 November 2014 14:20:14

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007

I have made a lot of work in these days but, unfortunately, it is not so visible. It was concentrated on a lot of very small items. The rudder. Painting and mounting a lot of guns on their carriage, building and mounting some kind of containers for the iron balls, gun ports, and over all, I'm painting with transparent matt enamel the hull.
So, I don't have interesting pictures to show.

I've made also some researches about the ship and I have found some interesting pictures. I've discovered that my model doesn't match completely with the attached plans. I know that the vessel was rebuild several times, so, most probably, there is not a "right" plan or a "right" model. Or at least I hope, otherwise .....

Page08pic018.jpg
Page08pic019.jpg
Page08pic020.jpg
Page08pic021.jpg
Page08pic022.jpg
jack.aubrey
#58 Posted : 15 November 2014 10:23:45

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007

Here is the rudder close to be finished.

I have inserted the nail heads in the proper position. Everything is glued with the Super Attack. I have then painted the pintles with a dark green Humbrol matt enamel. Once dry I wiped the pintles with a cleaning cloth in order to obtain an used visual effect. Last a coat of transparent paint to fix everything.

Last a sample of the guns to be applied on the quarterdeck. They are completely made with metal. The gun carriage is painted with a dark red painting. I don't like too much these guns. I would like to find another (probably expensive) solution but unfortunately their size is difficult to find. I need to search on the market for alternatives. If successful I will evaluate what to do.
Page09pic001.jpg
Page09pic002.jpg
jack.aubrey
#59 Posted : 15 November 2014 10:27:17

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007

Some new details that are not included in the kit. The green arrows shows the shot garlands. These pieces are taken from plans I have downloaded from the internet http://en.santisima-trinidad.astillero.net/
They were very easy to reproduce. I have used a strip of walnut of 1.5X4 in size. Today I have added also the shots, six for each garland. There are eight garlands on each side.
Page09pic004.jpg
Page09pic005.jpg
jack.aubrey
#60 Posted : 15 November 2014 10:30:36

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007

Here are the shot garlands once terminated.

I didn't drill any holes for the balls. I used some lead balls used for fishing. There are different sizes. The one selected are of the same caliber of the guns provided.

I have mounted six of them on a nylon string and then I glued the result on the garland. That's why they are quite perfectly aligned !!
Page09pic006.jpg