Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

adding driving light bulbs? Options
Eagle
#1 Posted : 22 November 2014 15:14:03

Red Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I notice the production model does not have working driving lights- and on the Youtube video build the modeler added them, but with a separate power supply. I don't have any experience in this area, but could'nt you just splice into the headlight wires for a power source when adding these?
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 22 November 2014 19:28:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Eagle wrote:
I notice the production model does not have working driving lights- and on the Youtube video build the modeler added them, but with a separate power supply. I don't have any experience in this area, but could'nt you just splice into the headlight wires for a power source when adding these?

HI Eagle, BigGrin

The problem , as I see it, without knowing the electronic values of the relevant components involved is as follows:

You can splice into the other power supply but two possible outcomes spring to mind.

1) There won`t be enough power output to run all the lights, resulting in dim lights.

2) the combination of lights could draw too much power and burn out components and/or (dependant on parts) actually cause a fire.

In conclusion, if you know the value of the components and know how to calculate the power required to run them safely then no problem, but if you don`t, play it safe and use a separate supply or leave the kit as it is and be safe.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"