Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Kevs' Tamiya 1:35 'Matilda' Mk.III/IV British Infantry Tank Build Options
ModelMania
#1 Posted : 06 December 2014 13:40:06

Groups:

Hello all,

To my eye, the 'Matilda' MkIII/IV Infantry Tank is one of the prettiest British tanks ever to be built and certainly one of the best looking tanks from WWII - especially in the three colour ‘Caunter’ camouflage scheme, and I'm really looking forward to this build.

Some Type History:

During World War II, the British Army fielded slow, heavily armoured tanks, which were developed to support infantry advances. The ‘Matilda’, built by the Vulcan Foundry, was the second such infantry tank. Made from thick cast metal and rolled steel components it was, for the time, formidably protected, with 78mm frontal armour and had side armour that covered and protected the suspension. It had a crew of four, was armed with a 2-pdr main gun, it had a Japanese ‘bogie’ (not the sticky green stuff – LOL!!) type suspension for good low-speed performance, and two AEC diesel engines (from a London bus believe it or not!) which were located side by side and gave it a top speed of 24km/h. The Mk.II, which also featured an air-cooled coaxial machine gun in it’s armament, followed then followed initial Mk.1 variant. Newer Leyland diesel engines of 95hp, powered the Mk.III Matilda, which was introduced in 1940 and the later Mk.IV featured further improved engines with increased horsepower.

Matildas first saw major combat in May 1940, near the French town of Arras, where shells from German tanks and anti-tank guns simply bounced off the Matildas' thick armour as they disrupted the German advance. The Matilda was also sent to North Africa, where it swept aside Italian opponents (well that ain’t hard is it? Could of used a wheel barrow and a catapult to do that? LOL!) and was respectfully called “The Queen of the Desert” by German forces. During operation “Battleaxe” to lift the siege of Tobruk in Libya, in June 1941, German forces famously used their 88mm Anti-Aircraft guns in a near horizontal anti-tank role, since they were, at the time, the only effective counter against the heavily armoured Matilda tanks!! The Matilda was the British Armys’ main tank in North Africa until mid-1942 when British versions of several types of American-built tanks began to take over. Matilda production continued until August 1943, with many of the 2,890 examples produced by then being given over to Allied countries such as Russia, where they continued to perform well until the end of the Second World War.

The Model:

This is Tamiya’s brilliant little 1:35 scale ‘Matilda Mk.III/IV British Infantry Tank’, which is packed with detail as per the usual Tamiya style, comes with three different decal options and even includes three figures!! I think I'll be building this model with the figures as I have an idea for a diorama at some point in the future, so I'll be using them with that in mind. As far as any after market items goes, the model doesn’t really need any though I will be making use of the Eduard Photo-etch set which is available for it and maybe some stowage items from my spares box. Normally, I would also change the plastic kit barrel for a turned metal one, since most tank kit barrels are usually moulded in two halves longitudinally, which leaves an awkward seam to remove, but unusually this kits’ barrel is moulded (and pre-bored!) in one piece of plastic and looks rather good, so I may well stick with that, but I’ll wait and see. I would normally also replace the horrible ‘silicone rubber’ or ‘band’ type tracks that kit manufacturers normally include in their tanks models with the very nice but very expensive (more than the cost of the kit!) Fruilmodel cast metal tracks, but the tracks on this kit are very nicely sprue-moulded in hard plastic, with good detail and since most of the track is hidden behind the side armour on the Matilda, I think I’ll save myself some money and use the kit tracks this time!! For reference I’ll be using two very good books by ‘Osprey' which can be seen in the photos below. As far as choice of scheme goes, I love anything to do with 'The North Africa Campaign' and I really like the tan, green and pale blue ‘Caunter camouflage on the box top art, so that’s the version I’ll be doing. She was called ‘Phantom’ and was part of the 42nd Royal Tank Regiment, 1st Army Tank Brigade, which fought in the North Africa Campaign in 1941.

The photos below show the kit and its’ contents, the Eduard Photoetch set and my reference material for this build.

Well there you have it, the pretty little ‘Matilda’ Infantry Tank in 1:35 scale!!

Next update will see the start of some building work.

Please feel free to comment or criticise if you wish?

Kev BigGrin

ModelMania attached the following image(s):
DSCF8150[1].jpg
DSCF8154[1].jpg
DSCF8153[1].jpg
DSCF8151[1].jpg
DSCF8152[1].jpg
DSCF8157[1].jpg
DSCF8156[1].jpg
tf64
#2 Posted : 06 December 2014 13:54:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Kev,
Just picked up your thread, a warm welcome back, you have been a way to long with your builds, I for one enjoy your work, so I am looking forward to seeing Matilda progress. Hope you are now settled and can show us your skills again.

Regards
Trev.

Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Nemesis
#3 Posted : 06 December 2014 13:55:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cracking little tank and a good kit, looking forward to seeing your build diary!!BigGrin BigGrin
D.Bader
#4 Posted : 06 December 2014 14:24:18

Groups:

Looking forward to this as have a keen interest in tanks etc Drool and have this one in my loft somewhere.
Plymouth57
#5 Posted : 06 December 2014 23:48:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev, Welcome back from me too!BigGrin

I've always liked the look of the old Matilda too and I'm looking forward to watching this one come together!
You're right about the 88mm AA guns, apparently they were first used in that role during the Battle for France when the Matildas were keeping the Germans from reaching Dunkirk before the BEF.
A reputed story goes that a captured British Officer remarked to his German guards that he thought it was 'dashed unfair to be using an AA gun against his tanks' to which the German Officer replied that he thought it was dashed unfair of the British to be using tanks that only an 88mm AA gun could knock out!BigGrin

Keep them coming Kev!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
mark 2
#6 Posted : 07 December 2014 10:38:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Kev BigGrin .
I am so looking forward to your build BigGrin .
Best regards.
Mark

ModelMania
#7 Posted : 07 December 2014 11:18:58

Groups:

tf64 wrote:
Hi Kev,
Just picked up your thread, a warm welcome back, you have been a way to long with your builds, I for one enjoy your work, so I am looking forward to seeing Matilda progress. Hope you are now settled and can show us your skills again.

Regards
Trev.

Hello Trev,

So nice to chat with you again mate, I've really missed you guys!! ThumpUpCool

Thanks for the vote of confidence my friend and very pleased to receive such compliments from people like you, it means a lot to me. Glad to say things are all settled again and I've plenty of builds to show starting right here, so watch this space.

I've been watching your DeAg Spitfire build while I've been away and she's looking very good mate, a credit to your skills and I know you used to do (or still do?) a bit of R/C flying, so building all those wooden spars and ribs must be right up your street I bet? Cool BigGrin

Any more progress with your Airfix 1:48 Javelin? What a great kit that is (love those 1950's jets - my dad used to work on them) and you're doing such a fine job on her! I've read nothing but praise in all the reviews for that kit so I really should get one for my stash and maybe build it on here one day? Airfixs' new 1:48 Folland Gnat looks very nice too!?

Thanks for taking the time to look in and comment Trev, it's very kind of you and greatly appreciated. CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin

ModelMania
#8 Posted : 07 December 2014 11:24:14

Groups:

Nemesis wrote:
Cracking little tank and a good kit, looking forward to seeing your build diary!!BigGrin BigGrin

You're not wrong there Daran, they really were 'cracking little tanks' - gave the Germans a bit of a wake up call in the early war years didn't they? - and this Tamiya kit is a real beauty!! Diary update coming very soon mate, already made a start, so watch this space and thanks for looking in and commenting my friend! CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin

ModelMania
#9 Posted : 07 December 2014 11:29:46

Groups:

D.Bader wrote:

Looking forward to this as have a keen interest in tanks etc Drool and have this one in my loft somewhere.

Thanks for looking in on my build and making comment D. Bader, (now there was a true British hero?!) very kind of you. You should dig that Matilda kit out and get building, it's a real little gem!! Cool

Kev BigGrin
ModelMania
#10 Posted : 07 December 2014 11:38:18

Groups:

Plymouth57 wrote:
Hi Kev, Welcome back from me too!BigGrin

I've always liked the look of the old Matilda too and I'm looking forward to watching this one come together!
You're right about the 88mm AA guns, apparently they were first used in that role during the Battle for France when the Matildas were keeping the Germans from reaching Dunkirk before the BEF.
A reputed story goes that a captured British Officer remarked to his German guards that he thought it was 'dashed unfair to be using an AA gun against his tanks' to which the German Officer replied that he thought it was dashed unfair of the British to be using tanks that only an 88mm AA gun could knock out!BigGrin

Keep them coming Kev!

Robin

Hello Robin,

Great to hear from you again and many thanks for the welcome back, very kind of you!! ThumpUp

Loved reading your little story about the German Officer, very funny - made me chuckle when I read it! HaHa! I bet the Matilda was a very abrupt reality check and quite a shock for them when they embarked on their 'Blitzkrieg' with their early Panzers and thought themselves unstoppable, eh?! She certainly stopped them dead in their tracks and gave them a cheeky little slap into the bargain for being so arrogant!! HaHa!! Lovely stuff. Flapper Glare LOL

Thanks for looking in my friend, I've loved watching your World War 1 'Messines Ridge' dio develop, simply amazing work, soooo much detail in that build and a real credit to your very great skills - well done to you sir, you are a master modeller and no mistake!! Cool Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin

ModelMania
#11 Posted : 07 December 2014 11:43:09

Groups:

mark 2 wrote:
Hi Kev BigGrin .
I am so looking forward to your build BigGrin .
Best regards.
Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks for looking in and your comment, very kind of you and glad you like it - it's a peach of a kit and should build into an equally good finished model!! Cool Cool

Kev BigGrin

jase
#12 Posted : 07 December 2014 21:07:18

Looking forward to this, one of my fave tanks. I wanted to call my first daughter Matilde but the x wife was having none of it Mad

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
ModelMania
#13 Posted : 07 December 2014 21:15:13

Groups:

jase wrote:
Looking forward to this, one of my fave tanks. I wanted to call my first daughter Matilde but the x wife was having none of it Mad

Jase

Hello Jase,

Thanks for looking in and for your comment, much appreciated my friend. ThumpUp

Yeah, the Matilda is a lovely little tank and certainly one of my favourites too along with the Cromwell and the Churchill?

Shame about you not being able to call your daughter Matilda though Jase, such a lovely English name. Hope your wife didn't become an 'ex' just over that little disagreement?! Lol!! Huh Blink LOL

I've been doing some of the build today, so an update coming tomorrow probably.

Kev BigGrin

stevie_o
#14 Posted : 07 December 2014 21:35:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ModelMania wrote:
jase wrote:

Jase

Hello Jase,

Yeah, the Matilda is a lovely little tank and certainly one of my favourites too along with the Cromwell and the Churchill?

Shame about you not being able to call your daughter Matilda though Jase, such a lovely English name. Hope your wife didn't become an 'ex' just over that little disagreement?! Lol!! Huh Blink LOL

Kev BigGrin

Although not entirely relevant to your build but "Matilda" is actually a name of German origin, meaning something to do with being strong and mighty in battleLaugh

Steve
ModelMania
#15 Posted : 08 December 2014 11:52:14

Groups:

stevie_o wrote:
ModelMania wrote:
jase wrote:

Jase

Hello Jase,

Kev BigGrin

Although not entirely relevant to your build but "Matilda" is actually a name of German origin, meaning something to do with being strong and mighty in battleLaugh

Steve

Well you live and learn something everyday don't you? HaHa! Thanks for that Steve, honestly thought it was an English name, like Rose and such like?

Quite ironic really though isn't it that a British tank, named after a German word for strength and might, should prove such a difficult tank for them to knock out (in the early war years at least) with anything but an 88mm Anti-Aircraft gun!! LOL LOL

Kev BigGrin

Wilfy the Sea Dog
#16 Posted : 08 December 2014 13:33:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice subject to start with. Look forward to seeing this progress.

Wilfy
Ponty
#17 Posted : 08 December 2014 13:56:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

nice second build choice Kev. can't wait to watch the build. it's builds like these and other model space members that have given me the inspiration to get into modeling.
best, Barry
Building - DeAgostini HMS Victory, McLaren MP4-23, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Lamborghini Countach
ModelMania
#18 Posted : 08 December 2014 15:47:00

Groups:

Wilfy the Sea Dog wrote:
Nice subject to start with. Look forward to seeing this progress.

Wilfy

Thanks Wilfy, glad you like my choice of subject and a build update will be here before the end of today!! BigGrin

Thanks for looking in mate. CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin

ModelMania
#19 Posted : 08 December 2014 15:54:49

Groups:

Ponty wrote:
nice second build choice Kev. can't wait to watch the build. it's builds like these and other model space members that have given me the inspiration to get into modeling.
best, Barry

Hello Barry,

Thanks for your great comments, gratefully received!! CoolThumpUp

A very nice compliment from you Barry, thanks, and I'm so glad that we are able to inspire other people to take up this wonderful hobby. It is certainly a great time to be a modeller with such a diversity of subjects available and with such high quality kits available now, so much more than we've ever had in all the years that I've being doing it. Exciting times indeed if you like building models and I believe that forums are right at the heart of the growth in interest worldwide!! CoolCool

Kev BigGrin

ModelMania
#20 Posted : 08 December 2014 17:58:59

Groups:

Hello all,

The building work has started in earnest!! Tamiya has a reputation for producing kits that are easy to assemble, with perfectly fitting parts and great detail included as standard – this kit is no exception!! What I have done so far has proved to be a pleasure to put together and it was great fun too even if a little repetitive at times.

I will try to write this build diary in a kind of 'walkthrough' way that is as close to following the instructions in the suggested sequence as I can get, though there are times when, through experience, it is best to leave some stages until later in the build or even bring some forward, just to make the job even easier!?

Stage 1: - The instructions deal with the forward part of the hull and the drivers hatch. Strangely the hatch isn’t needed until Stage 12, so why it is included here I have no idea, but I built it anyway as it was only two small parts to glue together. Check out the lovely cast metal texture that Tamiya have achieved on the front hull in the second photo – gorgeous detail!!The first two photos below show some of the components before and after construction.

Stage 2: – One of those repetitive jobs that goes with the territory in military modelling, which is the laborious task of cleaning up and assembling countless sets of wheels and sprockets!! But, it has to be done, so on with the CD player, get yourself a drink and just get on with it. Before you know it, job’s done!! The next two photos below show a large number of components, before and after construction.

Stage 3: – Back to constructing the hull, this time with the three major parts and a few other fittings inside and out. The ‘table’ like thing at the front is the horizontal part of the drivers’ seat. Photos 5-8 show the components for this stage before and after construction:

Stage 4: – This stage deals with constructing the various bogies and suspension parts. Not quite as many parts to clean up as there was with the wheels, but close. Back on with the CD player and a fresh cup of tea!! Photos 9 and 10 below show the components for this stage before and after construction, including the fitting of the wheels from the previous stage.

Stage 5: – Is a continuation of the wheels and sprockets assembly and deals with the construction of the front ‘jockey’ wheels and their suspension. These are the final parts to be done in the 'wheels and sprockets' part of the build. Photos 11 and 12 below show the components from this stage before and after construction.

Stage 6: – Deals with fitting the completed bogies, jockey wheels and sprockets to the main hull sides but I will be leaving them off for a while just to make it easier to paint them later, though even then, most of all the detail that you’ve seen so far will be hidden behind the side armour plates, but hey, if you can’t do it right then don’t do it at all, as my dad always told me?! The front hull (Stage 1) is also fitted to rest of the hull at this point. Photos 13 and 14 below show the front hull fitted and the work done up until now with the main lower hull and the completed bogies, etc, ready to fit at a later stage.

That’s where we are up to so far in this build diary, a little repetitive at times but still great fun. Next update coming soon.

Please feel free to comment or criticise if you wish?

Kev BigGrin
ModelMania attached the following image(s):
DSCF8159[1].jpg
DSCF8160[1].jpg
DSCF8163[1].jpg
DSCF8168[1].jpg
DSCF8162[1].jpg
DSCF8164[1].jpg
DSCF8165[1].jpg
DSCF8167[1].jpg
DSCF8169[1].jpg
DSCF8170[1].jpg