Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Stevie's Revell 1/32 "Zero" Dio Options
stevie_o
#1 Posted : 09 December 2014 19:52:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

OK, on to the next oneBigGrin I know I promised the Red Arrows Hawk next but this one wont take longLaugh

I have an idea for this, aircraft ditched into shallow water on a white sand beach. I will set the dio in a clear perspex container around 350mm square, possibly turquoise tinted water or perspex, the container then half filled with polymer resin.

The aircraft will have extensive damage from the water ditching rather than the cause of the forced landing as you will see below. I also want it to look like the pilot left the aircraft after so perhaps some straps hanging outside the open cockpit.

The kit itself is old and low on detail and parts so would not be up to a stand alone display piece, hence the damaged dio. There are no etch sets available so it's an almost "box" build, but I probably wont be able to resist a few additionsBigGrin

As you can see below I have made a start on the damage already, some beer can tin to simulate the ripped metal and I have put in the 3 main spars twisted off too. I filled and sanded the ridge of the tin and am hoping the join is flat enough. None of this is meant to represent the real wing internals, it's just an effect so not accurate in any way. The longer wing with missing control surface is going to be partially sand covered around the tip.
The dio is not going to be aged, as Im hoping to replicate a recent ditching but there will obviously be some weathering.

I will possibly cut out the flaps and rudder to reposition them.

BTW, the engine is only 5 pieces, and a nice change from numerous parts that cant be seen - said this would be a quickie didnt I?Laugh

Steve
stevie_o attached the following image(s):
DSC08868.JPG
DSC08869.JPG
DSC08870.JPG
DSC08871.JPG
DSC08872.JPG
DSC08873.JPG
DSC08874.JPG
DSC08875.JPG
DSC08880.JPG
DSC08882.JPG
DSC08884.JPG
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 09 December 2014 20:16:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ooooo this is going to be fun to watch! Super start and love the damaged wings!!BigGrin
ModelMania
#3 Posted : 09 December 2014 21:04:55

Groups:

That looks amazing Stevie, definitely going to be watching your progress on this one!! Cool ThumpUp

Love the way you've done the damaged wing tips, very impressed!!

Kev BigGrin
Gandale
#4 Posted : 10 December 2014 00:25:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is going to be different and fun to see.... Will be watching to see how it all turns out.... Great start Stevie, ripped wing panels look fab....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#5 Posted : 10 December 2014 21:34:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks guys, yep, should be fun - nothing too serious in this one, Im keeping it simple...ishLaugh

Sincere apologies to anyone who knows anything about this aircraft - I thought the inside cockpit sides were too bare (well could they get any more bare)? I have had a dip into my spare etch box and stuck a few bits in randomly just to break it up a bitBlushing

I have cut out the rudder and elevators as these were molded in and will re-position in a moved, poss damaged pose.

Steve
DSC08886.JPG
DSC08887.JPG
davetwin
#6 Posted : 10 December 2014 21:52:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start Steve and love how you portrayed the damage to the wings
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 10 December 2014 22:04:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Steve, BigGrin

Great imagination showing through here and a FAB start.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Some serious bending of the prop would be in order too. Blink

I have some pics I can PM or email you if required, as I cant publish them direct onto the forum, copyright and all that you know. Blink

Looking forward to your progress with this one. Drool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

stevie_o
#8 Posted : 10 December 2014 23:18:32

Plymouth57
#9 Posted : 11 December 2014 21:43:33

Lovely work Stevie, I would never have thought that beer can metal was so malleable to achieve that 'rent metal' look, you've done a wonderful job on that!Cool
(And you seem to have a never ending supply of the cans too!!)BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Looking forward to this one coming together M8!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
stevie_o
#10 Posted : 11 December 2014 22:50:51

Thankyou Robin, certainly do keep plenty of beer cans handyBigGrin They are perfect really, they can be pressed into shape to form a skin but thick enough to hold their position. You can twist and tear it with pliers too.

Primed the wings, re-sanded, filled, primed and sanded again and then it looked not too badBigGrin Still have to sort some of panel lines out though.
Steve
DSC08888.JPG
DSC08892.JPG
DSC08894.JPG
ModelMania
#11 Posted : 11 December 2014 23:13:50

Groups:

Looking better with every post Steve. I think this is going to be such a cool build when it's finished and can't wait to see the ditched plane in its' full beachside diorama!! Cool Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
Ponty
#12 Posted : 12 December 2014 00:29:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Those wings look really cool!
Looking forward to seeing moreThumpUp
Building - DeAgostini HMS Victory, McLaren MP4-23, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Lamborghini Countach
Tomick
#13 Posted : 12 December 2014 10:17:55

Groups:

The end result should be real good Cool
jase
#14 Posted : 12 December 2014 20:03:47

Loving the idea of this duo. your wing damage looks really nice

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
delboy271155
#15 Posted : 13 December 2014 22:26:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Steve, BigGrin

This is Cool Cool Cool .

Those damaged wing edges have blended in really well.

A credit to your insight and skill.

WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

stevie_o
#16 Posted : 15 December 2014 20:53:19

Thanks for looking in guysBigGrin
A couple more pics of various bits, put a buckle in the one wing and the tail also, this will look way better with some heavy chipping and paint cracking in the bent areas.
Cockpit done also, pretty standard, nothing new added as very little will be seen, same with the engine really so this was just a steel and aluminium base with a black wash and that should do with the amount that is seen.
Going to leave the filler overnight before sanding. Will make a start on the prop nowBigGrin

Steve
DSC08897.JPG
DSC08901.JPG
DSC08902.JPG
DSC08905.JPG
Ponty
#17 Posted : 16 December 2014 01:06:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking really Cool
Amazing detail
Building - DeAgostini HMS Victory, McLaren MP4-23, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Lamborghini Countach
Gandale
#18 Posted : 16 December 2014 01:17:31

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Stevie, not very often we get to see someone trying to put a wreck together, normally its beautiful pristine builds.....LOL LOL.. Think you are doing a great job of this one, some very interesting and informative techniques being shown... very nicely done and look forward to seeing more....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#19 Posted : 17 December 2014 23:29:23

Thanks Alan, PontyBigGrin

Did some work on the cowl, cowl flaps and prop. Sprayed a base of Aluminium with a bit of chipping. The prop needed to look not only general weathered but also some damage from the impact with water / sand, fairly happy with it though but will prob get another filter type wash and perhaps some salt streaking when the rest is ready for weathering.

Steve
DSC08907.JPG
DSC08910.JPG
DSC08912.JPG
DSC08916.JPG
DSC08917.JPG
DSC08920.JPG
delboy271155
#20 Posted : 17 December 2014 23:36:02

HI Steve, BigGrin

Looking good and can`t wait to se the final scene with all the weathering etc.

WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)