Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How many clear coated? Options
zuff
#1 Posted : 18 December 2014 11:33:15

Groups: Registered

I am getting close to the point in the build where a clear coat decision is needed. So I thought it might be useful to ask how many builders on here went for the clear coat and how it worked out. Was it worth doing? What are best tips for success?

And for those who did not clear coat, what do the decals look like once the model has been finished a while? Would they be improved by a clear top coat so they dont look stuck on?

Any thoughts much appreciated.
RM1
#2 Posted : 18 December 2014 15:05:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Zuff. I didn't clear coat ( to be honest as I'm a bit new in this hobby ) but I think it came out just fine. The decals applied nicely with a little help from microset/sol and don't look stuck on at all.
Although I've only just finished the build some of the decls were put on a year or more ago. The model is in a display case, no direct sunlight.
Hope that helps.BigGrin
Malc.
Stupot
#3 Posted : 18 December 2014 16:09:50

Hi Zuff, I asked the same question when i was at the stage your at now. I'd never used clear before so I decided not to risk it. I had the horrible feeling that i'd get my model looking good & then spoil it right at the end. If you have any spare model parts you could practice on them & then decide if you want to go ahead with it. To be honest my model looks good without it. Not an easy decision this one. Stu.
zuff
#4 Posted : 18 December 2014 17:10:43

Helpful replies, thanks chaps.
zuff
#5 Posted : 24 December 2014 17:34:15

So, apart from our resident experts, did anyone else take the brave decision to clear coat?
Warthog
#6 Posted : 24 December 2014 22:39:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Rather than clear coat and run the risk of damaging your McLaren, you could try using Tamiya's model wax. Apply with a cloth that is sometimes provided (depending where you get it from) or there is one specifically for the wax from Tamiya sold separately. A few coats with a buff between applications gives a good polished finish.

Spencer
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 25 December 2014 01:05:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Having used both Klear and Tamiya's wax Im now using Klear less and the wax more now as its formulated to enhance model cars and gives a more scale finishCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .