Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages 123>»
Warthogs Millennium Falcon Build Options
Warthog
#1 Posted : 30 December 2014 12:16:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Here is my DeaGostini Millennium Falcon build diary. BigGrin

Spencer
mark 2
#2 Posted : 31 December 2014 20:43:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Spencer BigGrin .
I am very much looking forward to your build to see how this beauty comes together.
Best regards to you and family for 2015.
Mark
Warthog
#3 Posted : 31 December 2014 21:24:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

mark 2 wrote:
Hi Spencer BigGrin .
I am very much looking forward to your build to see how this beauty comes together.
Best regards to you and family for 2015.
Mark

Hi Mark

Many thanks indeed and the same to you and your family.

Spencer
MikeL
#4 Posted : 01 January 2015 02:02:09

Hi,
I will be very interested in watching your build of the Millennium Falcon. I'm happy for you in Great Britain, and, I admit, a little envious. I'm anxiously awaiting the release here in the US.
Mike
Warthog
#5 Posted : 01 January 2015 10:20:32

Hi Mike

Many thanks for popping in and hopefully your dreams will be comming true soon BigGrin
I don't do things by the norm and hope this build diary will bring to those building the Falcon something that they can learn from if they want to.

Regards

Spencer

delboy271155
#6 Posted : 01 January 2015 17:40:05

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Warthog wrote:

Hi Mike

Many thanks for popping in and hopefully your dreams will be comming true soon BigGrin
I don't do things by the norm and hope this build diary will bring to those building the Falcon something that they can learn from if they want to.

Regards

Spencer

Hi Spencer, BigGrin

Bring on the Un-Norm.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

REgards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Warthog
#7 Posted : 01 January 2015 17:50:39

delboy271155 wrote:
Warthog wrote:

Hi Mike

Regards

Spencer

Hi Spencer, BigGrin

Bring on the Un-Norm.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

REgards
delboy271155
(Derek)

What great timing Del! LOL

Warthog
#8 Posted : 01 January 2015 17:51:47

In this first instalment I will be examining the differences and improvements from the initial test issues before we get on with the build. As issue1 has only just been released it seems an obvious starting point and as further issues are received, I will compare the same up to issue 4 from the original test release where after that the build diary will resume to

Issue1 contains cockpit parts including the back wall, Sticker with printed instrument detail, an outer hull part, internal structure parts and 5 metal parts that make up one of the Quad guns with 3 screws to assemble.

From the series of pictures below, I have laid the test part to the left and the new issue1 part to the right so you can see the comparison and changes in detail.
Changes to note are obvious in some of the pictures but not so much until you look closer.

The cockpit back wall: This has had a change not only in the design but also to the diameter of the original. The new part being 72mm, where as the original being 69mm.

The cockpit base (Floor): This has also had a redesign with changes to the shape and areas that other future parts will be added. Detail to the centre console has also been improved making it look more like the original prop.

The metal internal structural parts: These have had a redesign also, they look the same but if you look at the other picture you will notice the difference with the original test parts underneath the new parts being smaller and more refined.

Quad Gun: This has had the biggest change with no less than 5 parts (9 if you remove the quad barrels) where as the original had only 3.
The Quad gun is a massive improvement on the original and from this alone sets the stage for the Ultimate Falcon available in this size.
The parts are well cast and go together with ease straight from the pack.

The outer hull: The part provided with this issue has also had a makeover, with new crisper details and noticeable change in size.

Blue Prints: The original BP was a tease to the size of the Falcon showing details such as the cockpit, removable panels etc but nothing to get excited about.
The new ones are just stunning with more detail of the falcon itself with nothing telling us what is what, all of this is info is on the reverse side, showing the superstructure of the metal parts holding this beast together and areas like the internal details and hull plating parts and locations. A very nice touch indeed.

Well that sums up the issue 1 contents and changes!

What will follow is the quad gun assembly from issue1
Warthog attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
3a.jpg
3b.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 01 January 2015 17:57:26

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Oh NO !!!!!

I`m becoming an instant "SCI-FI", dare I say it, "GEEK".

Drool Drool Drool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#10 Posted : 01 January 2015 18:33:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Spencer

You can certainly see the difference in quality between the Test and the latest parts should be an exciting build with the detail shown and your magic touchCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#11 Posted : 01 January 2015 19:09:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great post Spence

The improvements are fantastic and as you say certainly set the stage for a fantastic build.

I'm desperately fighting the urge to purchase issue 1 in the news agents and waiting for the delivery of my first pack
MikeL
#12 Posted : 01 January 2015 19:23:40

Hi Spencer,

Great job on reviewing the first series of parts. The differences in detail are quite noticeable and very welcome. Thanks for the high quality photos. I'm really going to enjoy this build.

I was wondering... Has there been any mention of a sound system for the Millennium Falcon? I think this model is crying out for sound. I know its early, but I'm curious. If not, I'm planning to add it to my kit.
Also, do you know if there are any plans to animate the lighting (led blinking or flashing, use of fiber-optics)?
Finally, I think it could be interesting to have the cargo ramp motorized.
Do you, personally, have any special early plans for customizing on this build? It sounds like you doBigGrin.

One other thing, it seems like DeAgostini's lead star wars figures might be scaled close to that of the Millenium Falcon, though I could be way off. The figures aren't very available here. What is your take on this?

Thanks again for the build diary.
Mike
jase
#13 Posted : 01 January 2015 19:27:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

will be following with great interest Spencer.

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Warthog
#14 Posted : 01 January 2015 20:26:44

Thanks for looking in guys and your words of encouragement BigGrin. Hopefully as the series gets going then things will move into full swing.

@MikeL... There are a lot of options that I have already considered but until the series parts start to show, it will be difficult to know what to do or to add. Plus it would spoil the surprises if I was to let on now wouldn't it! LOL

@Davetwin... Go and get yourself the first issue mate as its nice to have another set for the blueprints alone. Would be nice to have them framed so you can see both sides.

Also if anyone is thinking of subscribing to this series then I would suggest you do so quickly, you won't regret it, remember, not everything is around for ever!

Spencer
Gandale
#15 Posted : 02 January 2015 09:25:32

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Spencer, think a lot of members are going to thoroughly enjoy following and seeing your progress with this fantastic kit. I for one will be eagerly following how things go so best of luck with it, look forward to the next instalment....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
MikeL
#16 Posted : 02 January 2015 13:39:26

Hi Spencer,
I'm curious if there is a paint guide, or any type of information in the first set of instructions for color matching for painting the Quad gun? In your opinion, is it better to paint before or after assembly of the gun? Should the parts be washed in soap and water and acid etched with vinegar prior to priming the parts, or what is your method? Since I haven't seen or handled the metal parts, and I'm always looking for better ways to do things, I'd welcome your input.
Mike
MikeL
#17 Posted : 02 January 2015 14:06:31

Hi Spencer,
I know that you aren't planning to discuss the actual build until you get a little further. My questions in the previous post were because I like to shop around and have all my supplies at hand before I start building a kit. That way I'm not running out trying to find something during the build.
Thanks,
Mike
Warthog
#18 Posted : 02 January 2015 14:08:00

Gandale wrote:
Hi Spencer, think a lot of members are going to thoroughly enjoy following and seeing your progress with this fantastic kit. I for one will be eagerly following how things go so best of luck with it, look forward to the next instalment....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan BigGrin thanks for dropping by. no pressure then! LOL I hope very much that this build diary will at least show different techniques that can be achieved if you push the bar just that little bit further BigGrin

Spencer
Warthog
#19 Posted : 02 January 2015 14:15:02

MikeL wrote:
Hi Spencer,
I'm curious if there is a paint guide, or any type of information in the first set of instructions for color matching for painting the Quad gun? In your opinion, is it better to paint before or after assembly of the gun? Should the parts be washed in soap and water and acid etched with vinegar prior to priming the parts, or what is your method? Since I haven't seen or handled the metal parts, and I'm always looking for better ways to do things, I'd welcome your input.
Mike

Hi Mike

All of my efforts will come from resources freely available on the web of the original Prop. As for your questions regarding a painting guide and preparation of metal parts can be found on the official website http://forum.buildmillenniumfalcon.com

I hope you understand but I don't really won't my diary to become a questions and answers free for all but saying that I am more than happy to answer any questions regarding my build and the techniques I have adopted.

Spencer

JD4EVER
#20 Posted : 02 January 2015 22:37:45

Hi Spencer.
I am looking forward to your build diary and any tips we can all pick up from your expertise.
Having seen the first edition in the shops I can't wait to get mine as this is one model I have always wanted.
Did you read the posts about the seat colour and if so do you have any insider BigGrin information regarding this subject.
Tony