Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <1234>»
Warthogs Millennium Falcon Build Options
Warthog
#21 Posted : 03 January 2015 10:45:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

JD4EVER wrote:
Hi Spencer.
I am looking forward to your build diary and any tips we can all pick up from your expertise.
Having seen the first edition in the shops I can't wait to get mine as this is one model I have always wanted.
Did you read the posts about the seat colour and if so do you have any insider BigGrin information regarding this subject.
Tony

Hi Tony BigGrin great to see you have subscribed to this amazing series Cool

I have no official involvement in the series and any questions are best asked on the official website as noted in my last post.

Spencer
jase
#22 Posted : 03 January 2015 11:46:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Would love to buold this but cannot afford it so will be living this one through your build - enjoy
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Warthog
#23 Posted : 03 January 2015 12:21:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jase wrote:
Would love to buold this but cannot afford it so will be living this one through your build - enjoy

Never say never Jase BigGrin and thanks for looking in Cool

Spencer
Warthog
#24 Posted : 03 January 2015 12:23:00

Quad Gun Painting and detail

Before any painting can commence on the metal parts they where degreased using white vinegar then given a coat of Mr Hobby Metal primer.

Once completely dried overnight a coat of Tamiya’s fine surface grey primer was applied and once again allowed to thoroughly dry before a coat of Zero Paints Fine white Primer. This is my preferred basecoat as it gives a nice finish to work on. All parts where then reassembled.

Once completely dry a wash of Citadel Nuln Oil was applied and once again allowed to completely dry.

Now it’s time for some dry brushing. This was applied all over the Quad Gun to achieve a result that I am happy with. Dry brushing is a method that many modellers like to use that make raised details stand out and is a very simple technique to learn.

In this method I used Vallejo Foundation White (70919) and used a 6mm (1/4”) Winsor and Newton sable artists brush.
Some paint was applied on to the tip of the brush and then using some paper Kitchen towel, 99% of it removed and then worked into all the areas of the Quad Gun. I repeated the same procedure until I was happy with the end results.

Next it was time to add some shading and this was done using Artist soft pastels. (Faber Castell Dark Earth brown) I used a sharp edge of some scrap metal to scrape at the pastel stick to create some dust that would be applied to a few areas that in theory would collect up any dust and muck.

Last but not least was to apply some burning to the ends of the Quad cannons and this was done using Alclads Exhaust Manifold (ALC-123)
Warthog attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
davetwin
#25 Posted : 03 January 2015 13:07:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Spencer

That is some awesome work, those quads look fantastic.

For someone like myself that only has 8 months modelling experience and no experience at weathering the information you have given in the steps above are invaluable. Did you apply a Matt coat to protect it all?

Keep up the fantastic work ThumpUp
Nemesis
#26 Posted : 03 January 2015 13:22:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Superb work, they look spot on!! Dry brushing is such a simple technique to learn, but gives stunning effects. ThumpUp Cool BigGrin
jase
#27 Posted : 03 January 2015 13:46:33

Text book finishing Love Love

looks perfect

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#28 Posted : 03 January 2015 13:55:30

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

A stunning piece of work Spencer and very well described technique too... Can already see your Falcon is going to be something to behold.....Drool Drool Love Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Warthog
#29 Posted : 03 January 2015 20:01:25

Thanks for the input and encouragement guys BigGrin it's very much appreciated and hopefully as the build continues, more techniques will be explained along the way.

@davetwin. I tend not to use a clear coat as such but a part of my arsenal is some unscented hairspray decanted into the airbrush cup. This will seal the pastel weathering in. (It's also great for paint chipping effects)
stevie_o
#30 Posted : 03 January 2015 21:46:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

cruorangelussilicis
#31 Posted : 04 January 2015 10:23:22

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

That's a mighty fine paint job there, I look forward to seeing your further custom work on the model, will be watching with much interest!
Warthog
#32 Posted : 04 January 2015 10:51:44

stevie_o wrote:
Very nice Spence, look forward to more of this oneBigGrin

Steve

Cheers Steve BigGrin

Spence
Warthog
#33 Posted : 04 January 2015 10:55:00

cruorangelussilicis wrote:
That's a mighty fine paint job there, I look forward to seeing your further custom work on the model, will be watching with much interest!

Thanks for looking in cruorangelussilicis (spellchecker loved that name! Lol) a 2 year project should give me enough time to perfect my skills BigGrin

Spencer

dandare
#34 Posted : 04 January 2015 10:58:54

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Superb Spence
looking forward to another of your fantastic builds

Regards
Dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
Warthog
#35 Posted : 04 January 2015 11:00:57

dandare wrote:
Superb Spence
looking forward to another of your fantastic builds

Regards
Dan

Cheers Dan BigGrin

Spence
MikeL
#36 Posted : 04 January 2015 13:43:14

Hi Spencer,
You're preparation, list of materials and use of said materials, and photographs remind me of an old midwest saying,"That's finer than frog's hair". And Spencer, that's mighty fine. BigGrin Job well done!
MIke
Warthog
#37 Posted : 06 January 2015 19:39:31

MikeL wrote:
Hi Spencer,
You're preparation, list of materials and use of said materials, and photographs remind me of an old midwest saying,"That's finer than frog's hair". And Spencer, that's mighty fine. BigGrin Job well done!
MIke

Well what can I say Mike! Thank you very much and I hope as the build progresses I can share more techniques old and new BigGrin

Spencer
Outerarm
#38 Posted : 08 January 2015 19:29:56

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice start on the cannons! Looking forward to following this (and all the other Falcon builds).
If it is only a game then why are you keeping score?
dtssyst
#39 Posted : 08 January 2015 21:27:41

Great start and I look forward to seeing more.
Warthog
#40 Posted : 10 January 2015 12:23:36

Outerarm wrote:
Nice start on the cannons! Looking forward to following this (and all the other Falcon builds).

Thanks Outerarm BigGrin

Spencer