Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <12345>»
Warthogs Millennium Falcon Build Options
Warthog
#41 Posted : 10 January 2015 12:23:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

dtssyst wrote:
Great start and I look forward to seeing more.

Cheers DT BigGrin

Spencer
Warthog
#42 Posted : 10 January 2015 12:36:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Outer Hull Plating.

Before questions are asked regarding Painting the outer Hull parts before building The falcon, I will only be doing the individual Panels in Fine surface primer. Any additional techniques will be applied towards the end of the build but there will be tests of said techniques on spare panels etc so that hopefully people can understand and try the techniques for themselves in preperation for the completed model.

To start off with I decided to make a few changes to the Armour plates. I'm not saying they are either right or wrong but as I have said in my first few posts, I will be doing this build to my satisfaction and any details that I feel need addressing I will modify. I used an Xacto Chisel blade to make the cutouts and a file to run the edge along the top of the panels to give greater depth. The side panels on the sides where filed down and additional inserts of plasticard inserted to cange the apperance as you can see in the pictures. This was then given a coat of Tamiya fine surface primer in white.

Any questions regarding the debate about the hull plating will not be answered here. I will advise on my techniques, materials used etc and that is all.

Spencer

Warthog attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
davetwin
#43 Posted : 10 January 2015 17:20:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Like what you have done with the mod there Spencer.

I havent quite decided what I am going to do with mine yet apart from the weathering
Warthog
#44 Posted : 10 January 2015 18:01:18

Needed to be done mate BigGrin

Spencer
Eagle Man
#45 Posted : 11 January 2015 13:55:17

Very nice work so far Spencer, do you intend to paint the whole ship eventually using the Tamiya white primer?
Warthog
#46 Posted : 11 January 2015 19:37:15

Eagle Man wrote:
Very nice work so far Spencer, do you intend to paint the whole ship eventually using the Tamiya white primer?

Hi Eagle Man and welcome to the forum and thank you for looking in on my build BigGrin I will certainly be using it for the hull sections but until I have at hand other internal parts, I wont know if it will be needed.. Hope this helps BigGrin

Spencer
Warthog
#47 Posted : 11 January 2015 19:40:17

Panel weathering (part 1)

The method below is to give those that are looking into weathering their Falcon for the first time. These are methods that I use but there are also methods that others will prefer to use. These parts being used are from the original test are not part of my build or off the current release.

The first picture shows the part primed with Tamiya fine surface primer in white. This gives a good base colour for the falcon but others may decide to choose an off white for their final builds. Tamiya fine surface primer has the advantage of being self levelling and once completely dry can be worked on with no sanding down to get rid of what is known to some as an “Orange peel” surface. This in effect is when the surface of the paint looks dimpled and will need to be sanded down to achieve a smooth finish. (A lot more work involved too!)

The second picture shows the panel lines airbrushed once again using Alcads Exhaust manifold. (ALC123) this can also be done with a dark earth or black ground artist’s pastel stick if you do not access to an airbrush. The odd area was also airbrushed to give it a “Dirty” look that will reveal itself later in the sequence of pictures.

Next it was time to mask off some of the panels that will need to be painted in grey and this can be seen in picture 3. I used Tamiya fine surface primer in grey for this purpose. Additional colours where added for effect only and for the purpose of this tutorial shown in Picture 4

Time to get Dirty!

Pictures 5, 6 and 7
I use artist oils for some of my weathering and on this occasion I used Winsor and Newton Burnt Sienna with some Turps. A wash was made up using the two and applied all over the turret area. Then using a clean brush with fresh clean turps, most if not all of the wash was cleaned away but allowing a slight colour change to the white. (This is more noticeable than in the pictures)

Scratches and scrapes

Picture 8 shows the turret with a few scratches and scrapes and this was done with a scalpel and some sand paper. You can do as little or as much as you want here but if your going for the authentic look of the original prop then you might want to study some close up images easily found on Google.

Picture number 9 shows two turrets, the finished one from this article on the left and another that was done as a test ages ago using some of the techniques described above and the final 2 pictures shows a toy that I repainted for my son to keep him happy due to the fact that no way was he taking the DeAGostini one home when its complete! No matter how much I love him.

(Included a penny shot for you too Jase as I know how much you like them)BigGrin

I hope this has helped and as usual, any questions feel free to ask.
Warthog attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
Gandale
#48 Posted : 11 January 2015 23:34:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great work Spencer and very well described....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
dandare
#49 Posted : 12 January 2015 09:56:45

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic Spence
Really appreciate the time you put in to give us virgin weatherers an insight into how to achieve this look.
off to buy some supplies and give it a try BigGrin

Regards
Dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
Warthog
#50 Posted : 12 January 2015 11:29:56

Thanks Dan BigGrin I might even do I video so it's easier to understand but there are so many out there already to learn from.

Spence
Warthog
#51 Posted : 13 January 2015 00:19:32

Gandale wrote:
Great work Spencer and very well described....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan BigGrin As long as people understand it enough to give it a try and it helps then I'll continue with more tips and styles etc as I go along.

Spence
stevie_o
#52 Posted : 13 January 2015 00:38:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Outerarm
#53 Posted : 14 January 2015 10:41:15

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Some nice, simple steps to get a great finish -- thanks for sharing!

Are you planning on painting the panel parts separately as they arrive, or paint the model as a whole once assembled (aside from some small sub-assemblies, of course)?

I'm undecided myself -- I'm currently thinking of base painting the parts as they arrive (i.e. prime, pre-shade and paint the panels in various shades), assembling when I have them all and then applying the weathering.
If it is only a game then why are you keeping score?
Warthog
#54 Posted : 14 January 2015 20:09:43

stevie_o wrote:
Some good techniques being explained in simple terms, nice one SpenceBigGrin

Steve

Cheers Steve BigGrin

Spence
Warthog
#55 Posted : 14 January 2015 20:11:53

Outerarm wrote:
Some nice, simple steps to get a great finish -- thanks for sharing!

Are you planning on painting the panel parts separately as they arrive, or paint the model as a whole once assembled (aside from some small sub-assemblies, of course)?

I'm undecided myself -- I'm currently thinking of base painting the parts as they arrive (i.e. prime, pre-shade and paint the panels in various shades), assembling when I have them all and then applying the weathering.

Hi Outerarm...

All the panels will just be primed and then any preshading etc will be done once the hull parts are all complete. The different colour panels will be done on the idividual panels as it makes it easier but I prefure to do all the major weathering etc in one go

Spencer
HunkOfFunk
#56 Posted : 02 February 2015 15:45:50

Hi, loving your posts so far. Very inspirational for a newbie like myself. One question with regards to the central gun platform. What colours (yellow & red) did you use? Thanks
tf64
#57 Posted : 02 February 2015 21:53:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great build Spencer learning stuff my self from your build even at my age

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Warthog
#58 Posted : 03 February 2015 00:58:12

HunkOfFunk wrote:
Hi, loving your posts so far. Very inspirational for a newbie like myself. One question with regards to the central gun platform. What colours (yellow & red) did you use? Thanks

Hi HunkOfFunk and first of all many thanks for your kind comments and at the same time can I welcome you MS! Great to have another Falcon fan onboard BigGrin

I use a mixture of colours from Vallejo Acrylics, Zero paints (model automotive) cellulose based and Alclads metalisers which all give me results I want for different effects etc. The yellow in particular is Zero paints Wiiliams FW Yellow airbrushed on and once dry it was washed over with Winsor and Newton burnt Sienna, some dry brushing and other effects. These are all tests plus a personal guide for those that wish to "have a go" so to speak and can easily be achieved over time and practice.. Lots more to come before the build is started to show and explain more effects and techniques etc.

Regards

Spencer

Warthog
#59 Posted : 03 February 2015 00:59:32

tf64 wrote:
Great build Spencer learning stuff my self from your build even at my age

Trev.

Many thanks Trev and always room to learn new stuff and still learning myself Blink LOL

Spence
HunkOfFunk
#60 Posted : 03 February 2015 07:51:34

Thanks for the feedback chsp. I've been seeing a lot of discussion around oils v acrylic with regards to this model. I can see the benefits of oils but I've heard varying reports on the drying times of oils. How quickly do the fast drying oils set?