Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<34567>
Warthogs Millennium Falcon Build Options
Warthog
#81 Posted : 16 February 2015 22:35:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

dandare wrote:
Spencer
Certainly helps me!
ive read all sorts of books on weathering etc but just can't seem to understand a lot of the techniques they talk about (pastels oils etc but then all the books seem to be about armour or planes) you at least tell us exactly what your using and how to use it, Something as simple as warm water and a rub of a thumb brings out a great worn look.
I will be following all your techniques when I use an old AMT millennium kit as a test model, hopefully it should give me some confidence in applying to the deagostinin one BigGrin

Regards
Dan

You will be very surprised on how easy it is to do once you let your imagination run riot.. I cheap(ish) kit is a good way to start on and does not even have to be SciFi. Any modern monotone jet or Heli will be good to try different shades of grey/white and rust etc. Good to see I've helped Dan and thanks again BigGrin

Spence
Warthog
#82 Posted : 16 February 2015 22:50:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issue 6 arrived last week and it was time to start adding a few details and changing a few things. Cockpit was done using parts from other kits, instrument clusters etc as the flat sticker really didn't float my boat. Ok it's not accurate but i'm not doing Accurate.

Inside the "cone" frames, I used some old Resin upgrade parts for the Revell 1/32 Tornado and after a dusting and some light wash, was actually pretty chuffed with the way it turned out.

The outside was given the treatment that has been described in the last few chapters and at first I was a bit uneasy with doing the panels individualy due to them not matching and looking like a patchwork quilt but I can say that I need'nt have worried.(at this point anyway)

the panels and subtle shading was once again done using a combination of pastels and the Airbrush, masking tape applied to area's and then a light dusting along the edge of the tape so one it was removed it gives the impression of different panels etc.. rust and dust added and next time it's the "Greeblies"

Spencer
Warthog attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
tf64
#83 Posted : 16 February 2015 22:51:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

HI Spencer,
looking good very clever paint work,and your builds all help us Spencer.
Regards
Trev.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

stevie_o
#84 Posted : 16 February 2015 22:55:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Warthog
#85 Posted : 16 February 2015 22:59:19

Cheer's Trev and Steve BigGrin Starting to look like a "Hunk of Junk" now BigGrin

Spence
davetwin
#86 Posted : 16 February 2015 23:04:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic work Spence, love what you have done to replace the console sticker.
claret
#87 Posted : 17 February 2015 11:55:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Spence,

Looking excellent, keep the weathering tips coming.

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
dandare
#88 Posted : 17 February 2015 12:35:54

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

blooming Great stuff as always
love the cockpit detail.
The way this ones coming together im starting to think you may have been on the film set to build the current falcon lol

regards
Dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
Ohnhai
#89 Posted : 17 February 2015 18:58:14

Loving your stuff..

Been modeling mainly digitally* or in paper for the last 20 years, so this physical plastic, filling, filing and painting lark is coming as a bit of a shock.

Looking forward to some step by step tutorials (if you go that route)

Especially love the brown weathered panels on the cockpit tube.

I will be following closely and weeping at my ineptitude..

* computer game artist

delboy271155
#90 Posted : 17 February 2015 20:40:27

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Spencer, BigGrin

Impressive work, loving the detail and weathering.

Keep up the brill diary. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

ModelMania
#91 Posted : 17 February 2015 21:15:57

Groups:

Very impressive work Spencer, those subtle panel shades look very realistic and add greatly to the overall appearance plus the new instrument panel looks very neat and totally believable - well done my friend, top work!! Love Cool ThumpUp

Keep up the good work mate. ThumpUp

P.S. - Might send some photos of this over to George Lucas in Hollywood - it's as good as any of the real Star Wars modelmakers' work imho!!

Kev Smile
Warthog
#92 Posted : 17 February 2015 22:15:21

Many thanks for the kind words guys Blushing if you lot keep on enjoying my work then I'll keep doing it BigGrin

@Dan... I wish! Need a lot more Alcad I think lol

@Ohnhai... Kind words indeed and I've seen your build too and your doing a great job. If you go to the beginning of this build there are a few steps but tutorials take a lot of time. Maybe a video tutorial of sorts one day Wink

@kev. What can I say mate! kind words indeed and I think Mr Lucas might have his hands full at the mo LOL (but I'm not stopping you) BigGrin

Spence
Gandale
#93 Posted : 17 February 2015 23:14:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Another fabulous build session Spencer, you technique using pastels really pays off....Drool Drool .. I'm glued to this build till the very end....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jase
#94 Posted : 17 February 2015 23:22:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent scratch upgrading certainly looks the part. Cool Cool Cool

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Warthog
#95 Posted : 18 February 2015 21:37:28

Cheers for the comments and encouragement Jase and Alan BigGrin plenty more stuff to come and a lot of scratchbuilding to add.

Spence
Heron72
#96 Posted : 19 February 2015 15:10:29

Hi Spencer, I'm new to the forum.
Truly great work on the build, your weathering is amazing. Definitely a build to aspire too. Could you tell me how you modded the nose cone on the falcon? Did you fill the gaps with model filler then plasticard?

It makes such a difference to the overall look of the falcon and I wish to do something similar. Also have you just kept the base colour of the falcon as is and just weathered on the top? my falcon is quite grey looking in comparison. Sorry for all the questions.

Regards

Mark
Warthog
#97 Posted : 20 February 2015 15:40:29

Hi Mark and welcome to MS and thank you for looking in on my build and your kind words of encouragement BigGrin

The cone was very easy to do (for me anyway). both halves where put together dry and marked out on the bottom front section by about 2mm where the top section window frame meets up. this was cut out using a mitre saw and then filled out to give the correct (not 100% sure)window depth. The side panels where the joins are where filed down smooth so no joint ridges/seams and then 0.5mm plasticard placed over the top. The reason for the card was to give it a bit more paneling that was raised and will be doing more of this throught the build.

If you look back over the build you will see that I have been doing a total repaint.

I will do a seperate photo sequence of what I did so it is more understandable soon but here is one from earlier in the thread.

Spencer
Warthog attached the following image(s):
3.jpg
RobT
#98 Posted : 20 February 2015 15:44:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Great stuff, looks awesome.

Have you done anything to the cockpit floor? I'm trying to think of a good way to get rid of the shiny plastic look.
Warthog
#99 Posted : 20 February 2015 16:08:57

Hi Rob

I gave the flooring a coat of Halfords matt black after a coat of primer to take the shine away but to be honest, once everything is put together and enclosed, your not really going to see it.

Spence
Heron72
#100 Posted : 20 February 2015 18:46:31

Thanks for the info Spencer, Plasticard ordered. I'll give it a go and post some pics of my progress, providing I Don't mess it up!Crying