Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<4567>
Warthogs Millennium Falcon Build Options
kryten2b
#101 Posted : 24 February 2015 18:07:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Spencer, great build & I have now started following your YouTube weathering videos, they are very informative.BigGrin

I only have one complaint - you are costing me too much money when watching the videos - 'ooh, I need that, & that.....' Drool

Keep up the good work ThumpUp

Well spin my nipple-nuts & send me to Alaska

Current Builds:
McLaren MP4-23Finished
007's Aston Martin DB5Finished
Millennium Falcon
R2-D2
BTTF Delorean (Maybe)
Tomick
#102 Posted : 24 February 2015 18:30:31

Groups:

Laugh LOL LOL
Heron72
#103 Posted : 24 February 2015 18:31:53

Could you post a link to the videos, wouldn't mind taking a look :o)
Zoobeef
#104 Posted : 16 March 2015 23:37:10

Groups:

Message was deleted by User.
ian smith
#105 Posted : 18 March 2015 14:17:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Spencer.
your weathering of parts is realy superp.
look forward to seeing more IanCool Cool
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Warthog
#106 Posted : 18 March 2015 15:41:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Cheers Ian BigGrin im certainly having fun doing this.

Spencer
DigitalJackson
#107 Posted : 19 March 2015 03:30:08

Hi Spencer, Incredible work! Thanks for sharing your weathering techniques!

I'm in the US and just received my first batch of parts (US gets them monthly instead of weekly). Looking forward to working on this. I'm trying to decide if I want to go through a full repaint of the outer panels. A bit nervous about messing this up ...it's a big hunk of money!

If I decide to not repaint the exterior, will the weathering techniques you describe (oil, pastels, nuln oil, etc.) still work without having the surface primed/repainted?
darbyvet
#108 Posted : 19 March 2015 04:07:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

HI Digitaljackson
welcome to the forum.I look forward to seeing you post some build photos of your Falcon.I have experimented a little on my falcon and it is possible to use washes and pastels on the painted model without repainting it.

I am US forum support so if there is anything I can do to help let me know

Best regards

Carl
dandare
#109 Posted : 19 March 2015 08:50:43

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Spencer
tracked down your you tube tutorials.... great stuff
looks like ill be spending some pennies on some supplies and following your techniques Cool

regards
Dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
Warthog
#110 Posted : 19 March 2015 09:14:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

DigitalJackson wrote:
Hi Spencer, Incredible work! Thanks for sharing your weathering techniques!

I'm in the US and just received my first batch of parts (US gets them monthly instead of weekly). Looking forward to working on this. I'm trying to decide if I want to go through a full repaint of the outer panels. A bit nervous about messing this up ...it's a big hunk of money!

If I decide to not repaint the exterior, will the weathering techniques you describe (oil, pastels, nuln oil, etc.) still work without having the surface primed/repainted?

Hi there DigitalJackson and great to have you onboard here at modelspace BigGrin thank you very much for your kind words, they are very much appreciated and welcome Blushing

To answer your question: there is no reason why any of the techniques using oils and patels should not work or help those not doing a repaint etc but i will be showing how to prepare the surface etc ready for this and how to seal in the weathering using pastels etc once done.

Spencer
Warthog
#111 Posted : 19 March 2015 09:31:54

dandare wrote:
Spencer
looks like ill be spending some pennies on some supplies and following your techniques Cool

regards
Dan

Cheers Dan BigGrin glad you like them mate and plenty more to come. Oh and sorry about the additiona expenditure LOL

Spencer
dandare
#112 Posted : 19 March 2015 11:11:29

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Warthog wrote:
dandare wrote:
Spencer

regards
Dan

Cheers Dan BigGrin glad you like them mate and plenty more to come. Oh and sorry about the additiona expenditure LOL

Spencer

well if i can get my Falcon to look half as good as yours will be, then the expenditure will be well and truly worth it Cool

Regards
Dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
Warthog
#113 Posted : 19 March 2015 18:45:46

dandare wrote:
Warthog wrote:
dandare wrote:
Spencer

regards
Dan

Spencer

well if i can get my Falcon to look half as good as yours will be, then the expenditure will be well and truly worth it Cool

Regards
Dan

Keep watching the videos and the new "custom" falcon build and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to mate BigGrin

Spence
Warthog
#114 Posted : 08 April 2015 22:03:41

To kick off my custom build I have decided to completely strip the Nosecone of any outer molding lines etc and re-do with 1mm evergreen strip and card sheet. This is not to accurise it but to maintain the look I think it should have. Once this was complete then the interior was given some detail along the inner frame lines. Once again I used some Resin upgrade parts from a 1/32 scale Tornado. The parts although not accurate do give it a more three dimensional appearance.

In the next installment I will be working on the rear bulkhead door into the cockpit and some added details to the instrument panel and cockpit seating.

Spencer
Warthog attached the following image(s):
1.JPG
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
6a.JPG
7.jpg
8.jpg
Warthog
#115 Posted : 09 April 2015 10:07:47

Due to work commitments, this build is on hold, thanks for looking in.

Warthog
#116 Posted : 19 April 2015 22:05:38

I decided that the sticker just didn't cut it and it needed to have a bit more depth so I decided to scratch build one using 1mm plasticard. The details where copied from the original sticker as it seemed to be accurate enough to work from.

I also scratch built one of the rear passenger chairs from an old Airfix ejector seat (Martin baker)1/48 and pretty happy with the results without having to resort to buying 3D printed parts. (thats not to say that I won't be using such during the course of this build but I will do my best at making my own scratchbuilt parts first)
Also there are some pictures of other areas being worked on while i have certain materials (and idea's) to hand but all this will be covered in future updates.

Thank's for looking in BigGrin

Spencer
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
Warthog
#117 Posted : 18 May 2015 22:12:53

Oh My! Dose'nt time fly when your evading the Empire!

Time for another update on the progress so far and today's update hinges around the cargo hold area. I am still working on the cockpit area but with the small details being added to it i felt i needed to move on to the larger areas that will all come together once the build really starts to move up a gear.

The cargo hold floor has been completely sanded down, primed and then areas marked out to reflect the floor tiles. These where then individually picked out to resemble the grated flooring in the films. I used some photo-etch as a guide and a panel line scriber to remove small amounts of the plastic flooring for which a video of the process can be seen here: Flooring
Once completed the flooring was given another prime and than black winsor and newton oils rubbed in to the recesses and then any excess wiped off.

The cargo hold walls have also had some work done on them with areas cut out and additional detailing added and this is ongoing as is the whole of the cargo hold area with beams being added and additional areas to be fitted.

so until next time!!

Spencer

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
3a.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
111.jpg
222.jpg
777.jpg
Warthog
#118 Posted : 10 October 2015 16:52:35

An update albeit a small one as work continues on the cargo hold which will be updated with some info and pictures once I have all the LED lighting required but until then here is an update regarding the side panels of the top Tunnel section otherwise know as TP1 and TP2

Stock evergreen styrene sheet at 1mm was used and a nibbler tool that I got from a well know auction site (£9.99) assisted greatly with cutting out the notches of the said panels. Then evergreen “T” strips where used to match those of the provided parts.

All of the detail was removed as can be seen right down to the base level so to make the appearance of the panels once fitted suitable for what I wanted to achieve.
Other panel details and styrene strip was added to finish off then a coat of white primer ready for my own mix of ESB off white for later in the build.

The tunnel has had some small details added to give it a more industrial look with exposed pipes and once again evergreen rod of different sizes and some other kit parts where used for the effect. A base colour of Halfords grey primer was used and a good rubbing over with some black oils from Winsor and Newton for the recesses. A light going over with the airbrush using Exhaust manifold from Alclad finished the deal for that area but more added effects will be added over time as this area is completed.

So that I could get a feel of how I was going to get as good a finish regarding the outer hull panels and as a test I decided to prime all the panels in one go while attached to the framework. This was then picked out around areas that would accumulate dust/dirt and other foreign particles to give it a sense of depth and shadows. A light dusting over with Halfords White primer was used so that any panel lines etc would still show through and then a mix of my very own colour was added in certain areas but not all over. Smaller details like streaks etc where then added using the airbrush and Alcads Stainless steel and Exhaust Manifold. Later in the build when all the panels are attached then the fun begins with oil panel colours to match those of the prop and oil streaks and some rusting etc.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
15.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
Warthog
#119 Posted : 16 December 2015 23:19:44

Back for another update and work has started on the lower hull section as I wait for materials and learn more about LED Lighting for the Interior and Cockpit, so hopefully an update on that sooner rather than later. I was going to leave all the paint work until the end of the build but that won’t make for a good build diary so I thought I would start on the lower hull to give me something different to do.

The sections where added to the frame work as per the instructions and then given a few coats of Halfords Grey Primer. This was then given some pre-shading in the recesses etc to give it depth ready for the top/base colour which here I used Halfords White Primer. I light dusting was given to allow some of the Grey and darker panel lines to show through but not enough to add overkill to the panels as this will be added later again using Alclads Exhaust manifold.

I had a “Eureka” moment while I was in an Art shop and picked up the Easel for £20! Bargain and as you can see it makes everything so simple to work on.
I used Zero paints to give some colour to the panels in Yellow and Red but these would not be the final colours used as you will see later in the series of pictures.

Oils and washes where added and then a series of different Vallejo paints to get the “Dirty” look. More streaks and stains will be added towards the end of the build but a section was worked on so that I could get a feel of how I wanted the Falcon to look.

Some dry brushing and some scraping here and there with scalpels and sand paper was added to give it some character.

The “Laser Blast” Damage will be worked on later with a Dremel so it’s closer to the Prop Damage.

Videos of the Lower Hull being painted etc will be uploaded soon and links provided here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHrvyqOCJH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lao1nLZ3l5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXgWt0zmbN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7c3N_doync

Paints Used:

Halfords Grey Primer
Halfords White Primer
Zero Paints Rosso Scuderia (ZP-1007
Zero Paints Williams FW14-B Yellow
Zero Paints Grey Primer (some panels)
Vallejo SilverGrey
Vallejo Deck Tan
Vallejo Medium Sea Grey
Vallejo Red (RAL3004/FS30160)
Nuln Oil (Citadel)
Winsor&Newton Burnt Sienna and Cadmium Yellow

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
Warthog
#120 Posted : 10 April 2016 20:40:01

Ramp Access area...

A long overdue update and in this section I have decided to modify the Ramp Walkway access area. There was a lot of cutting to remove the supports for the motor that raises and lowers the ramp and this will also be modified so that the ramp still opens and closes. Later on in the build I will hopefully have a modified motor system working.

1mm thick plasticard was used and I used reference pictures from the films to get an Idea of how I wanted it to look. More details will be added over time including working ramp pistons etc..

Panels where primed and then a coat of white with the usual panel detail etc

Spencer
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg