Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages 123>»
Davetwin's Millennium Falcon Build Options
davetwin
#1 Posted : 30 December 2014 12:51:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Coming to the forum in the not too distant future

For those that havent already seen this, this is the size of the Falcon we will be builing. This blue print is 3 x 3 A4 sheets of paper in size

MikeL
#2 Posted : 01 January 2015 01:59:00

Hi,
I look forward to following your build of the Millennium Falcon with intense interest. I'm happy for the folks in Great Britain that this model has been released. I look forward to the release in the US.
Mike
davetwin
#3 Posted : 07 January 2015 13:44:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A lot of people are already well on their way with this build and I am all very eager to get cracking on myself.

Unfortunately most of my modelling supplies, paints etc were purchased specifically for my Yamato build. Due to this I have not wanted to rush into my Falcon build until I can build up a few supplies to get me going.

To that end I have been studying other peoples builds on here, studying my Star Wars The Blue Prints an the Millennium Falcon Haynes Manual as well as numerous studio prop pictures.

Weathering is also something that is new to me so I have been studying numerous websites trying to learn as much as I can about weathering models as well as other peoples various Millennium Falcon plastic model builds.

My first lot of supplies arrived this morning, just a couple more to get, also need to get to an artists shop to get some decent brushes, my Fiance's daughter has kindly donated some of her old brushes she used for her GCSE art for the pigments as I am aware that this process ruins brushes.

Here is where I am at the moment with this build, I do have 2 copies of issue one purchased from the news agent to practice some techniques on, as well as my subscription that should start to arrive shortly.

I hope all this learning of techniques and patience will pay off Cool

Outerarm
#4 Posted : 08 January 2015 19:23:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks like a good collection of paints and pigments -- I've heard good things about the Mig Abteilung range, though have never used them myself.
If it is only a game then why are you keeping score?
davetwin
#5 Posted : 08 January 2015 19:50:53

Outerarm wrote:
Looks like a good collection of paints and pigments -- I've heard good things about the Mig Abteilung range, though have never used them myself.

Thanks Ian

I did do lots of research and they paints kept coming up so thought it would be as good as anything. I have read and printed for referencec lots of guides about weathering so hoping that when I start it will all pay off.

Just sorting out some brushes now
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 08 January 2015 19:55:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here is an excellent series of youtube tutorials on weathering the Millenium Falcon.It uses the Fine molds kit as an example, but it will be fine for the Deag falcon-you will just need more paint!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wreblsPaUhU

PS I believe he uses the Mig abteilung paints too.he also has a website that sells some really cool steampunk and mech kits (www.industriamekanica.com)
Nemesis
#7 Posted : 08 January 2015 20:02:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I use the MIG range, brilliant stuff!!!
davetwin
#8 Posted : 08 January 2015 23:02:11

darbyvet wrote:
Here is an excellent series of youtube tutorials on weathering the Millenium Falcon.It uses the Fine molds kit as an example, but it will be fine for the Deag falcon-you will just need more paint!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wreblsPaUhU

PS I believe he uses the Mig abteilung paints too.he also has a website that sells some really cool steampunk and mech kits (www.industriamekanica.com)

Thanks darbyvet

I have those tutorials in my favourites as well as many other bookmarked build logs of the various falcon kits and lots of bookmarked sites on weathering.

I must have printed of about half a ream of paper worth of info about weathering last night on my night shift which is now all filed in a large lever arch folder.

It will be a be a new technique for me so wanted to be fully clued up, the same principle applied, research research research, when I decided to start Yamato with full PE as my first model build and thats turned out pretty good so I am hoping that all the weathering will turn out good too Cool
davetwin
#9 Posted : 09 January 2015 23:09:12

These are the new blue prints or Technical Drawings as they are referred to outside of the states.

A lot more detail on these compared to the test one, as well as all the extra info on the back

davetwin
#10 Posted : 11 January 2015 17:37:23

I set about doing a litle tinkering today.

After reading Spencers (Warthog) build diary and seeing his mod to make the armour a bit more defines I decided I wanted to give it a go as I really liked the effect. Hope you dont mind me copying it Cool

I have not done any kind of modification like this before to a model, but seeing as I now have 3 copies of the first issue I thought I might as well go for it, thanks go to Spencer for passing on the instructions as to how he acheived this.

I also decided to start filing down the seams on the quad laser

This is still a work in progress as I havent re-noticed the armour yet

dandare
#11 Posted : 11 January 2015 17:59:48

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Davetwin
im in the same position as yourself regarding washes etc
will be collecting the issues until i finish my MP4/4, so will be watching with intrest on how you get on

regards
Dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
Warthog
#12 Posted : 13 January 2015 00:26:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Hey no problem at all Dave as that's what sharing tips and info is all about and looks like you've done a great job so far. Just be careful with that chisel blade when you get them. Take it slow mate your doing a fantastic job so far Cool

Spence
stevie_o
#13 Posted : 13 January 2015 00:41:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Outerarm
#14 Posted : 14 January 2015 10:37:13

Good work on the seam cleaning Dave -- that is something I hope to start soon on my build.
davetwin
#15 Posted : 15 January 2015 22:38:23

Thanks Spencer, Steve & Outerarm

I spent some more time today cleaning up the seams on the quad lasers. This took me a while to do, the metal is quite hard and I wanted to be gentle so as not to file a flat spot on the barrel. Just need to get some fine wife will to finish it off.

I also decided to give drilling out the ends a go like I have seen others do.

I finished the armour plating notches too, dont think they came out too bad, look a bit rough in places with the close up pictures but I thought they would fit in with the overal look of this hunk of junk BigGrin

Honest opionions welcome, good or bad

Gandale
#16 Posted : 15 January 2015 23:46:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice work Dave, looking closely with interest.... Think the Falcon is going to be amazing to see come together....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#17 Posted : 16 January 2015 17:25:09

Gandale wrote:
Nice work Dave, looking closely with interest.... Think the Falcon is going to be amazing to see come together....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, it certainly is going to be somehitng special
davetwin
#18 Posted : 16 January 2015 17:30:57

I have decided I am going to be taking this really slow, after all there is no rush BigGrin

I still havent decided if I am going to use my modified hull part or go with the kit one. I think I will have to go down the route of buying another copy of each hull part that comes and decide from there based on if I ruin the part or not.

Back to the quad lasers, it was recommneded to use 0000 wire wool to polish the parts up and get rid of the filing marks, so off into down I went to find some.

After looking around I stumbled across a dremel, now I have been wanting one of these for a while, so I decided to purchase a dremel 4000 with the polishing extras.

Upon getting back home I set about polishing the quad laser parts with the dremel and am well impressed with the finished results BigGrin nice and shiny, hope theres no magpies about LOL I also enlarged the barrel bore holes a bit more.

All parts now washed and drying ready for priming

Nemesis
#19 Posted : 16 January 2015 17:36:09

Great result on the lasers, I have a Dremel and I wouldn't be with out it. You should get a flawless finish on the paint now.
Outerarm
#20 Posted : 16 January 2015 17:36:43

They look nice and smooth Dave! I was going to suggest enlarging the barrel holes but you neat me to it.