Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages <1234>»
Davetwin's Millennium Falcon Build Options
stevie_o
#21 Posted : 16 January 2015 18:58:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Warthog
#22 Posted : 17 January 2015 17:29:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Looking good mate but don't over polish it otherwise the paint/primer will not stick so well. Will look good as a nice polished spare though Cool

Spence
arpurchase
#23 Posted : 17 January 2015 20:02:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking the bisCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#24 Posted : 17 January 2015 23:17:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Dave, great to see....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#25 Posted : 17 January 2015 23:50:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cheers Guys

Its all primed now and I have mixed up a batch of Tamiya 50 / 50 deck tan and matt white that I think I am going to go with as my colour, after reading it being a good match to the original colour from various sources. It does look a close match also to the issued parts.

Im on nights at the moment so will get this done as soon as I can.

I am also working around the elements too seeing as my build area is in the garage. The garage door is just one of those basic fibre glass looking doors so I have ordered some weather stop insulation to put on the inside as well as putting a seal around the sides and bottom of the door to seal up all the gaps.

I realise that this will still be a long way off from being a heated garage but the other 3 walls are protected from the wind with the rear window and door being uPVC with double glazing. Hopefully these extra steps will make it a lot more comfortable in there, resulting in being able to spend more time out there BigGrin Fingers Crossed
davetwin
#26 Posted : 19 January 2015 16:43:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Its been pointed out that the window frame on the turret part isnt quite right and should be rotated a bit. I liked the look of it when it was rotated so thought I would give it a go.

So after advice from my personal modelling guru, Warthog, BigGrin I turned the part over and gently inserted a chiserl blade in to the join. I then just went round the inside like this a few times, it took a while but eventually it popped free. A little clean up of the glue and removing the molded o guide tab and I was ready to re-glue it. I used Revel Contacta Pro standard styrene glue for this, applying round the edge with a small paint brush. After sticking the window in I then flipped it over and ran some more glue around the inside edge, clamped up and left overnight. I wasnt sure how this glue would work with this plastic but it has stuck solid.

Comparisson shot using the blue prints, Excuse the test part laser in the picture but the new laser is in the drying booth.

Frame parts built, I am holding off on the cockpit for now until I have seen the paninting instructions supplied, I will then make a decision as to how I will proceed with it.

This is my drying booth, basically just a 40 odd litre clip lock container readily available in B&Q. You will notice the test turret primed in there, I will be having using this to have a go and weathering this week.

At the moment I am just getting done what I can when I can as its so cold in the garage, I am off for a week after tonights night shift so will also be taking the opportunity to draught proof the garage door sides, top and bottom, I also have some insulation to go on the door itself. I am hoping these measures will at least make it more comfortable in this cold weather
Outerarm
#27 Posted : 19 January 2015 17:21:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice work on the frame -- I think I'm going to give that a (careful) go later this week.
If it is only a game then why are you keeping score?
davetwin
#28 Posted : 19 January 2015 17:37:58

Outerarm wrote:
Nice work on the frame -- I think I'm going to give that a (careful) go later this week.

I was nervous at first but just took my time, stick the edge of the chisel blade in, take it out move along a bit and do it again, just keep going round like that and eventually it will just drop out.
LrdSatyr8
#29 Posted : 18 March 2015 03:56:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Awesome job so far my friend... I'm holding off on building it myself. considering whether or not to get some of the 3D printed pieces available and possibly work out where to put the fiber optics.
davetwin
#30 Posted : 27 March 2015 21:27:38

I have negleected this build lately while I decide what I am going to do with it.

I have seen a lot of people replacing the hold floor with grating or even a whole 3D printed one, this is something that I wanted to do myself but I just couldnt justify the cost of a 3D printed floor so I though I would make one myself. I did purchase the 3D printed floor grates.

I ordered some supplies and set about making a floor myself using metal sheeting styrene as the base, for those that dont know its like a corrugated effect.

Not got very far yet, dremelled the old floor out and now in the clean up stage before attempting my scratch build.

stevie_o
#31 Posted : 27 March 2015 21:48:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

davetwin
#32 Posted : 28 March 2015 18:26:52

Thanks Steve

Must admit I started having seconds thoughts after I had cut it out but it was too late by the BigGrin This plastic is quite tough and not easy to sand down Blink
birdaj2
#33 Posted : 28 March 2015 19:29:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Steve

Full credit to you with your scratch building. I am sure you will pull off a great result but I do know what you mean when you start cutting wondering if you have made the correct decision.

It looks a stunner of a kit and the "gods" keep trying to tempt me as I am even received emails now from FineScale Modeller magazine promoting this one BigGrin

I think I have about 3 SofSeas subscriptions still to come so that will be the decider as to what my next model subscription will be.

Chances are though that they will have something yet again to tempt us.

What time is that lottery drawn tonight LOL LOL LOL

Hope the rest of your build goes well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#34 Posted : 29 March 2015 00:34:20

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Dave, good luck with the flooring.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#35 Posted : 30 March 2015 19:49:55

Thanks Tony & Alan,

Tony, did you mean Dave not Steve LOL

A rather large box arrived today which contained packs 10-13 and the Han Solo figure which is quite nice, I forgot to take a picture though so that will have to wait until later.

Today I spent some time working on the floor to get my grates, bearing in mind that I am new to scratch building there was probably an easier and quicker way to do this. This is a work in progress and still lots to do.

I started by finishing tidying up the cut edges

This is what I will be using, I ordered 0.5mm plain sheet when I meant to order 1mm. As the original floor was 2mm thick and the corrugated sheet is 1mm I will need 2 layers of the 0.5mm

First of all a backing layer to stick the others to

Then 2 layers of 0.5mm cut to shape

Then the corrugated layer

All the layers will be stuck down now and then the cross pieces will be stuck to the 2 built up layers of 0.5mm a shown (the thinner lengths will have grooves filed into the corrugated part to sit in), the corrugated part will then be cut into tiles to fit into the grids produced and then cut out the hatches

delboy271155
#36 Posted : 30 March 2015 21:02:41

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Dave,BigGrin

The floor has cleaned up well, WTG. Cool

Wait with interest as to how the replacement floor will come together.

Good Luck,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

davetwin
#37 Posted : 30 March 2015 22:04:24

Thanks Derek

Although I was extremely nervous about this new experience of sratch building, and spent countless hours sitting and thinking, rethinking and then rethinking again, how I was going to do it I am actually really enjoying it, even the filing, test fit, file some more, test fit and repeat a few more times LOL

I have glued all the layers down now using Delux materials Super Phatic glue, while left to dry I got some pictures of Han Solo and assembled the metal framework up up to issue 12.

Not sure about anyone else but I am really really liking this metal frame Love Its going to look sweet when finished LOL

davetwin
#38 Posted : 01 April 2015 17:19:26

Unfotunately SWMBO works for a school so being easter holidays and working nights I have to putter along when ever I can get time and not having to do other jobs, I'm sure you all know what its like LOL

Hopefully I am not going too overboard with this work in progress on the floor, its my hope that someone will find it useful to do their own Cool

Cross sections added in, simply cut about 1mm longer than needed and gently filed down a little at a time until they fitted snugly

Floor grating part cut into sections, it will then be further cut into tiles, now at this point I realised it would probably have been easier to leave it in one piece to add the small sections that will run from left to right to ensure they were all in a line with each other, will now just stick to a bit of card to do it.

Inspection pit grills marked up ready for cutting, a lot of work with a blade so I had to resort to what I had to make it easier, this was simply a drill bit in my rotary tool BigGrin

Ready for clean up

LrdSatyr8
#39 Posted : 01 April 2015 20:09:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking awesome my friend... love the work on the floor grating so far. Can't wait to see what it will look like when its finished.
davetwin
#40 Posted : 01 April 2015 22:37:12

LrdSatyr8 wrote:
Looking awesome my friend... love the work on the floor grating so far. Can't wait to see what it will look like when its finished.

Thanks LrdSatyr8

I didn't realise how long this scratch building malarkey takes, file a little, test fit, file a little more test fit again, repeat several more times.

I must say though that it is quite enjoyable and relaxing Cool