Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages <12345>»
Davetwin's Millennium Falcon Build Options
LrdSatyr8
#41 Posted : 02 April 2015 06:14:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

davetwinI didn't realise how long this scratch building malarkey takes, file a little, test fit, file a little more test fit again, repeat several more times.

I must say though that it is quite enjoyable and relaxing [cool wrote:

I know what you mean... gives you time to just lose yourself in a project. I once time travelled 3 days into the future working on a project, lost all track of time, was in the zone and didn't realize 3 days had passed. I didn't eat, drink, or even sleep the entire time. Was the weirdest and most profound experience I've ever had and I realized since that time I have to set a timer to remind myself to take a break or eat and sleep or I just get lost again! I love it!
davetwin
#42 Posted : 02 April 2015 17:18:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A bit more progress on the scratch built hold flooring

Inspection pit holes cleaned up and started with more of the sections to finish the grids

This is my tool to ensure everything is straight BigGrin

Progress so far

Still lots to do, now need to cut up the corrugated section in to the tiles to fit in the grid, then add the small strips accross them, oh and then scratch build the inspection pit overs.

We have friends coming to stay for the Easter weekend so this will be it now for a few days
davetwin
#43 Posted : 06 April 2015 22:56:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

First row of tiles complete, I was going to stick some styrene strips in the filed out grooves but I think I like it as it is

Honest opinions please

davetwin
#44 Posted : 07 April 2015 22:17:52

Second row of tiles done, as I was getting impatient to see what it would look like I hit it with a layer of primer. Still needs cleaning up where the tiles over hang the pit holes

davetwin
#45 Posted : 09 April 2015 22:45:57

Finally finished the floor, a lot of work went into this. What do you think? be honest LOL

Only just primed

davetwin
#46 Posted : 10 April 2015 23:15:06

I have spent a lot of time working on my Arduino board trying to learn to code it and getting no where fast. I managed to find an open source program that pretty much had everything I needed, but still needed to be modified, so I have now spend lots of time playing with the code to give the effect in the video.

I am also trying to figure out how to get a cool fade effect and maybe incorporate a remote control.

This is just on a test board and the colours of the LED can vary, I thinking of perhaps just using white LEDs, then bunching up a load of fibre optics on to an LED with heat shrink, this will then be run to where it is needed and then painted.

Video
davetwin
#47 Posted : 15 April 2015 22:13:31

Spent today priming all the out shell parts and making a start on painting the hold parts.

I decided to go with Vallejo metallic back for the floor and IJN Kure grey for the walls, I went for Kure grey as it was the darkest grey I had, Im not sure yet if I will keep this or go out and buy a darger one, or to go with metallic black on the walls too but thinking it might be too much black, opinions welcome.

Edit, I am now thinking perhaps to go for Vallejo metallic gun metal on the floor and the walls then darken it with washes and then steel dry brushed on to the grates

mogwai
#48 Posted : 16 April 2015 13:53:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi looks like a lot of work gone into that floor.time we'll spent in my opinion, because it certainly looks the part.well done look forward to more.cheers mick BigGrin BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
davetwin
#49 Posted : 16 April 2015 16:31:24

Thanks Mick,

I spent about a week making the floor, it certainly was a lot of effor but I am well chuffed with it.

I have chaged the colour of the floor and walls now, the walls have had a dusting of Tamiya Metallic Silver, the floor had the same treatment too, I have just finished the 2nd coat of black vallejo wash to dirty it up.

Its progressing nicely Cool
stevie_o
#50 Posted : 16 April 2015 17:29:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

LrdSatyr8
#51 Posted : 16 April 2015 20:02:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Someone's got wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much time on their hands! Awesome job bro... looks great! :)
Gandale
#52 Posted : 16 April 2015 20:38:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

And we'll chuffed you should be Dave... Stunning result...

Regards

Alan
LrdSatyr8
#53 Posted : 16 April 2015 21:35:41

A little bit of trivia for anyone reading this... the floor grates were actually those big plastic pallets. They had a bunch of them on the lot just taking up space so they used them for the flooring.
tf64
#54 Posted : 16 April 2015 21:59:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work on the floor, well done.

Regards
Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

davetwin
#55 Posted : 16 April 2015 22:21:54

Thanks for all the comments guys.

LrdSatyr8 - I just learnt the true meaning of taking my time and patience when I started using a ton of photo etch on my IJN Yamato build BigGrin

Today was one of those rare days where I had a day off and no list of chores from SWMBO Cool so the only thing to do was spend some time with my to Falcons Cool

After respraying the floor a slightly lighter colour and doing the 2 side walls metallic grey, the up rights and pipe base on the right wall a slightly darker shade than the walls for a little contrast, I thought I would try out pigments for the first time.

Here is what I used

And this is where I am now, too much? about right? Cargo dust on the left, plasma burn on left hand pit, rust on right pit and bottom right corner, grime on walls, uprights and pipe base as well as floor

Flash used on these 2, its not the best pictures using the flash but hopefully give you a bit more of an idea of what I did

davetwin
#56 Posted : 17 April 2015 22:05:43

Seats are almost finished, just need to fill and paint the backs, I resprayed the seats with Yamiya Tan (XF55) then hit them with Vallejo dark grey wash, then dry brushed Tamiya Tan again. I think it looks so much better, once of my spares in the photo for comparisson.

I have also started adding greebles to the interior, not very accurate, just letting my imagination have a play. Parts are left over plastic and PE from Yamato.

Bruce Judkins
#57 Posted : 18 April 2015 05:02:11

hi all I just have a few questions 1 does anyone know what the cost will be for the model as it has not reached New Zealand yet 2 how many parts is there I mean how many mags are there

so far that is all I have to ask but I was told the only question you do not ask is the dumb question but how do you know if it is dumb as you have to ask then ask
LrdSatyr8
#58 Posted : 18 April 2015 05:46:17

Bruce Judkins wrote:
hi all I just have a few questions 1 does anyone know what the cost will be for the model as it has not reached New Zealand yet 2 how many parts is there I mean how many mags are there

so far that is all I have to ask but I was told the only question you do not ask is the dumb question but how do you know if it is dumb as you have to ask then ask

Right now here in the states it's $66.98 a month... that's with shipping... I don't know how much it will be in NZ... but there are a total of 100 issues, 4 a month, 25 months total!
davetwin
#59 Posted : 18 April 2015 09:49:30

Hi Bruce

As LrdSatyr8 has said it is 100 issues, as to cost that is an unknown factor the same with if or when it will be launched in New Zealand.

Could I ask that you use the correct part of the forum to ask these type of questions though rather than high jack someone's build diary BigGrin Flapper Cool

Millennium Falcon Discussion Forum
davetwin
#60 Posted : 20 April 2015 22:37:59

I realised that after priming the cockpit tunnel I had forgot to attach the greebles so now done that

Upon arrival of my next pack 14 - 17 I assembled more of the frame, did I mention how much I love the metal frame LOL Love Flapper If I had the funds to spare for I would probably get a second one to build just as the framework.

Panels just dry fitted