Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages «<56789>»
Davetwin's Millennium Falcon Build Options
davetwin
#121 Posted : 22 September 2015 18:13:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Assembled some of the parts received, for the plastic I am using MEK glue as this works a treat with the ABS plastic that is used in the panels.

A few parts added to the large panel, lots of nice detail on show Love

The actuators have just been cleaned up and will not be stuck on until the coloured panels have been painted.

Stabliser halfs stuck together.

jaws062666
#122 Posted : 22 September 2015 20:25:15

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Dave,

Do you know if there are going to be decals for the plates later because there are parts that should have the various reds and blues that I don see on your parts. The first turret we received had the different coloring, but I have not seen any since.
My current builds: The Millennium Falcon, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Ford Mustang Shelby
davetwin
#123 Posted : 22 September 2015 21:31:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jaws062666 wrote:
Hi Dave,

Do you know if there are going to be decals for the plates later because there are parts that should have the various reds and blues that I don see on your parts. The first turret we received had the different coloring, but I have not seen any since.

Hi Jaws

The coloured panels, as were done on the turret, will more than likely be painted and this is the route I will be taking although I do recal a mention a while ago that decals will be provided I do not think they will be for the coloured panels. I think it was mentioned on the official Build the Millennium Falcon forum, but after checking the older threads are no longer there.

I'm afraid only DeAgostini will know this for sure though.
jaws062666
#124 Posted : 22 September 2015 21:35:50

davetwin wrote:
jaws062666 wrote:
Hi Dave,

Hi Jaws

The coloured panels, as were done on the turret, will more than likely be painted and this is the route I will be taking although I do recal a mention a while ago that decals will be provided I do not think they will be for the coloured panels. I think it was mentioned on the official Build the Millennium Falcon forum, but after checking the older threads are no longer there.

I'm afraid only DeAgostini will know this for sure though.

Thanks Dave,

The only reason I say this is because i have seen some of the plating on the back of the Falcon with the actuators, and the panels don't look like they have any red paint on them like the parts you got in issues 33 and 34. I would hope that we wouldn't have to pain tit on our own.
My current builds: The Millennium Falcon, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Ford Mustang Shelby
Dan Kramer
#125 Posted : 23 September 2015 00:34:05

That is so lovely seeing all that frame together.
There's something I'm wondering, though. Can you tell, now that you have the whole bottom frame, where the internal hold areas fit? I'm thinking I may need to mod the placement a little, but I've never seen a pic of the hold and corridor floors in place over the assembled frame.

My concern comes from the hall to the quad turrets is wrong, and fixing it means maybe having to move the whole internal setup to get it all aligned properly.
davetwin
#126 Posted : 23 September 2015 06:07:26

jaws062666 wrote:
Thanks Dave,

The only reason I say this is because i have seen some of the plating on the back of the Falcon with the actuators, and the panels don't look like they have any red paint on them like the parts you got in issues 33 and 34. I would hope that we wouldn't have to pain tit on our own.

You are correct in saying they do not have any coloured panels on them as they do not, however painting them really won't be that difficult if or when it comes to it. Rest assured that If they require painting it will be covered in detail in the magazine, much like the painting of the inspection pit was Cool
davetwin
#127 Posted : 23 September 2015 06:11:26

Dan Kramer wrote:
That is so lovely seeing all that frame together.
There's something I'm wondering, though. Can you tell, now that you have the whole bottom frame, where the internal hold areas fit? I'm thinking I may need to mod the placement a little, but I've never seen a pic of the hold and corridor floors in place over the assembled frame.

My concern comes from the hall to the quad turrets is wrong, and fixing it means maybe having to move the whole internal setup to get it all aligned properly.

Hi Dan

I haven't actually placed the hold yet to check where if all fits inside.

I can't check at the moment as I am at work, butt the blu prints should show how this fits with the turret corridors.

When you say it is all wrong you need to remember that the interior of the Falcon was always fictions and only existed as a studio set that would never have fitted inside the Millennium Falcon anyway.

I will try and have a look later and also try to get a picture if I can Cool
Moonman
#128 Posted : 24 September 2015 11:39:43

Wow. Your shots of the completed framework really are impressive Dave. Your methodical approach to this build has also been a huge help for me. Always looking forward to the next installment!
jaws062666
#129 Posted : 25 September 2015 17:04:28

davetwin wrote:
jaws062666 wrote:
Thanks Dave,

You are correct in saying they do not have any coloured panels on them as they do not, however painting them really won't be that difficult if or when it comes to it. Rest assured that If they require painting it will be covered in detail in the magazine, much like the painting of the inspection pit was Cool

I just got an email from Deagostini letting me know that there will be a complete painting guide coming in upcoming issues. They also said that there is definitely a reason why we are not supposed to attach any plating onto the frame at this time.
davetwin
#130 Posted : 25 September 2015 19:43:03

That is correct, it has been mentioned quite a lot on the official Millennium Falcon Build forum that a painting guide and reference pictures will be supplied.

I always advocate following the instructions as you never know what is further down the line when building a partwork. There are groups on Facebook where lots people have raced ahead and already stuck their panels on as well as painting them which is quite risky.

I'm waiting for the instructions to say to apply the panels before I do and am only priming them at this stage. At a guess I would say that there is a specific order the panels need to be applied to get them all on and seated correctly.
dowbyhuz
#131 Posted : 25 September 2015 19:51:09

This tactic surely fits my plans, as I won't even be opening any parts until I have every one. BigGrin

I'll have them all (possible production delays aside) just a few months after I retire and truly enter the me-me-me age!
davetwin
#132 Posted : 09 October 2015 22:12:20

Start to make up the cockpit parts today, was struggling as suffering with the dreaded man flu Crying

I decided to add some colour to the side panels to make them a bit more interesting, ended up using a few different colours, all pictured. I will put some kristal clear over the colours once they have fully dried.

The interior of the cockpit will probably be sprayed Vallejo German grey primer

I have also started to redo my hold in a much cleaner look but dont have pictures of that yet.

A Thumbs
#133 Posted : 10 October 2015 00:59:41

Very elegant cockpit, Davetwin. Is that the Paragrafix console?
adriuus
#134 Posted : 10 October 2015 01:38:35

Loving your work... I too have been suffering the man flu .. Its a terrible time that not only loses income but also makes you revisit hold, cockpit .... Whatever fills the day... I think by comments we both posted on the " official" falcon forum that we are both happy to carry on and do our own thing to the build.. Good luck with what you are doing with yours .. Looks great ... As does everybody elses who takes it as there own personal model and does as they please...
darbyvet
#135 Posted : 10 October 2015 01:49:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great Dave,
the Modelair paints are wonderful.I used the red for my caboose

Carl
scraperjawa
#136 Posted : 10 October 2015 03:59:56

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice clean job on the cockpit, Dave. Never hurts to add a bit of color for interest.
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

davetwin
#137 Posted : 10 October 2015 10:26:51

Thanks all for stopping by and your comments Cool

It is the paragrafix console, I decided I would do a little bit of customisation and love working with photo etch.

I might yet give the side consoles a slight mist over with Tamiya Smoke after the krystal klear just to done it down slightly.
davetwin
#138 Posted : 25 October 2015 21:45:24

Not much been happening on this, I have put the chairs in the cockpit and finished the decals on the back wall, I just need to sort out how I am going to light it, this might wait until a later date when I can see what kind of space and there is and have enough parts built to work out wiring runs.

In the meantime here are the pars from the latest delivery. I have started to assembe the ramp but will refrain from attaching it to the frame and motor for the time being as I am still having a think about what I am going to do with it.

I have also now gone around the frame and made sure all the screws were tight, once done I took some super glue and put a blob on the end of each screw, this should stop them from coming lose in future. As you can imagine this took some time to do Blink

davetwin
#139 Posted : 30 October 2015 22:59:21

A little more work has been done on the cockpit, Im not in any rush as I have other projects that need to get finished.

arpurchase
#140 Posted : 30 October 2015 23:40:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good DaveCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .