Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Screw won't tighten into side of smokebox Options
Billy
#1 Posted : 31 December 2014 15:52:09

Red Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I'm trying to attached the lower boiler half to the smokebox. The 2x4mm screw won't screw into the smokebox. On either side. I've ruined a screwdriver tip trying to get the dang thing to screw in. I've tried a couple of screws in case it was the screw that was the problem. Could it be that the tap that created the hole did not complete the process properly. This happened before and I just left the screw out because the location will no be visible when the unit is completed but these screws will be visible and will be noticed if I do not put them in.

Thanks
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 31 December 2014 16:10:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Billy

Is your problem with the fitting of the screws into the white metal part at the rear of the smoke box, maybe if you could provide a picture of the problem area then it would help in answering your question.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Billy
#3 Posted : 31 December 2014 16:23:51

No, that is the self taping screw and that worked fine. It's attaching the lower boiler half to the metal ring on the smokebox. There is one on each side and four at the bottom. The four at the bottom screwed in nicely. It's the ones on the left and right side that won't screw in.
Sorry about pictures. I'm not that capable at the present time to do that. I'll have to work on that.
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 31 December 2014 17:00:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Billy

I guess your looking at stage 8 page 65 the only thing i can think of is to check if the white metal ring has had the threads fully tapped to the correct depth to take the screws full insertion. If it is a short taped thread then shortening the screw with a small file so it will fit may be the answer to your problem.

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Billy
#5 Posted : 31 December 2014 17:10:05

Thank you, I hadn't thought about shortening the screw. The screw can be shortened I didn't know that. Thank you for your help.
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 31 December 2014 17:14:25

Your welcome Billy glad to be of help and a Happy New Year to you and your family

mark 2
#7 Posted : 31 December 2014 20:29:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Billy BigGrin .
I had the same issue with mine and the way I got around it was to not tighten down the screws until all screws were in place then I tightened them down.
I hope this is of help to you and best regards for 2015.
Mark