Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Fine Molds 1/72 Millennium Falcon + PE & Lighting Options
davetwin
#1 Posted : 09 January 2015 14:49:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Build of the year 2015 entry

Have settled on this as my entry,

Update to this post to follow later this evening with more information and some pictures

Many of you will know after following my Yamato that I am not a fast builder but will hopefully plod along at a steady rate

PLEASE NOTE: This will be a separate build to my DeAgostini Millennium Falcon. I do not want my thread to be used as a spot the difference or comparison between the two. Please respect my thread and do not ask me to make comparisons. Thank you for your understanding
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 09 January 2015 19:39:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dave

Great choice of kit. Wish you very well with your new build.

I built ( in my opinion) a really great generic lighting kit for a Star Trek enterprise a few years ago just wish I could try and post it as a video as I am sure there would be some interest.

Look forward to your updates on the falcon as you have yourself a stunning kit to work with.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 09 January 2015 20:00:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice kit il be looking forward to your buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

stevie_o
#4 Posted : 09 January 2015 21:52:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

davetwin
#5 Posted : 09 January 2015 23:04:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks guys

Rather than duplicate the pictures you can see the unboxing review I did here.

Some pictures of the lighting parts. There is a small bush button on the circuit board which adjusts the engine flicker. Luckily the instructions are quiet details about how to wire it all up as this will be my frst foray int lighting, however they do not show where they all go so thats something I will have to work out as I got.

Tomick
#6 Posted : 10 January 2015 11:46:24

Groups:

This is going to be amazing Cool
Warthog
#7 Posted : 10 January 2015 11:52:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Going to be a stunning build Dave and very much looking forward to your progress mate Cool Good luck with your entry BigGrin

Spencer
davetwin
#8 Posted : 21 January 2015 22:05:44

The build has begun Cool

Decided I will start off this build with the slow tedious job of filing and cutting out all the armour plate notches

I havent decided if I am going to attempt the over hang of the armour plate over the mandibles yet, mainly as I really am not too sure how I could go about it or even if I would be capable. For those that arent sure what I am talking about, where I have cut notches on the 4th photo, where the vertical and horizontal meet there shouuld be an overhang rather than a straight wall.

One idea I had was to put down some masking tape as a barrier to protect the plastic I dont want touched and then use a small sanding or cutting wheel on the Dremel to gently touch into the plastic Confused Hope that makes sense.

Warthog
#9 Posted : 21 January 2015 23:11:09

Groups: registriert, Registered

Top choice Dave and looking forward to this one. Cool

Spencer
Nemesis
#10 Posted : 21 January 2015 23:29:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now this is going to be something special!Drool Looking forward to watching this build!!BigGrin BigGrin
stevie_o
#11 Posted : 21 January 2015 23:38:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale
#12 Posted : 21 January 2015 23:49:33

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice to see you started Dave, going to be enjoying this one.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#13 Posted : 21 January 2015 23:51:21

Thanks for the comments Spencer, Darran and Steve

I am thinking of really pushing myself with this, been thinking more about the over hand I think that I can do it with the dremelsanding disk. I have an idea of removing part of the pipe work in picture 4 for access then replacing it with a bit of styrene rod BigGrin
Nemesis
#14 Posted : 22 January 2015 11:45:28

I think being able to show more is a great idea, makes the build more special to you , and I am a firm believer in showing off interior where possible, all that work just to cover it up! Looking forward to seeing where you go next!Drool BigGrin BigGrin
davetwin
#15 Posted : 31 January 2015 13:42:01

I got a bit carried away on eBay, I actually went on to get hold of a switch and a 9v battery connector but ended up with this lot, wires, LEDs, Fibre optics, resisters and generic on/off PCB

The right half is the lighting kit I already had and the left half is my eBay haul LOL

Think I have got every possibilty covered now LOL

Nemesis
#16 Posted : 31 January 2015 14:09:17

Blimey!! Looking at that lot it should actually fly!!!LOL LOL This is certainly going to be an epic build, and will look fantastic all lit up! Looking forward to your next post!!BigGrin BigGrin
davetwin
#17 Posted : 12 February 2015 15:37:45

Still not a great deal happening with this yet due to Yamato getting in the way, I have all year though and this will become my main build once Yamato has been put to bed Cool

Just a small update, I have been searching for quite some time for the clear resin engine nosels to go with the lghting and have not had much success. After recently losing out to a set on ebay I decided to just spend the extra money and order some 3D printed ones from shapeways.

They look pretty cool, will be dusted with a layer of Tamiya smoke

darbyvet
#18 Posted : 12 February 2015 19:14:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dave starship modeler has some replacement clear resin engine grilles too

http://starshipmodeler.b...-replacement-parts.html
davetwin
#19 Posted : 12 February 2015 19:34:59

darbyvet wrote:
Dave starship modeler has some replacement clear resin engine grilles too

http://starshipmodeler.b...-replacement-parts.html

Thanks,

Everytime I checked them they were out of stock so gave up. All good now, think I have everything, maybe another switch and battery connector
davetwin
#20 Posted : 23 February 2015 22:56:28

Seeing as the Yamato is now finished I thought I would crack on with the Millennium Falcom this evening.

I started by carrying on cutting out the armour notches, this is a very boring long winded task so I broke it up by starting on the photo etch cockpit and also one of the docking ports.

You would think I would have had enough of photo etch after Yamato LOL