Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Wing Commander Guy Gibson in 200mm Options
Warthog
#1 Posted : 10 January 2015 11:00:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Wing Commander Guy Gibson, VC, DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar, was the first Commanding Officer of the Royal Air Force's 617 Squadron, which he led in the "Dam Busters" raid (Operation Chastise) in 1943, resulting in the destruction of two large dams in the Ruhr area. He was awarded the Victoria Cross, and in June 1943 became the most highly decorated serviceman in the country, but lost his life later in the war. He had completed over 170 operations at the age of 26.

Gibson's dog was a male black Labrador Retriever which became the mascot of 617 Squadron. Gibson owned the dog when he was previously a member of 106 Squadron. His dog often accompanied Gibson on training flights and was a great favourite of the members of both 106 and 617 Squadrons. The dog was noted for his liking of beer, which he drank from his own bowl in the Officers' Mess.
The dog died on 16 May 1943, the day before the famous "Dam Busters" raid, when he was hit by a car, he was buried at midnight as Gibson was leading the raid. The dog's name was the morse codeword Gibson used to confirm the breach of the Möhne Dam. The dog's grave is located at RAF Scampton, Lincolnshire.

Gibson sometimes used to call his dog "Nigsy", so its likely this will be the name used for his dog in the Peter Jackson "Dam Busters" movie remake, (or possibly "Digger" as the original name is now recognised as an offensive term).

"Mitches Military Models" - Wing Commander Guy Gibson 200mm resin figure and Mascot dog.
http://mitchesmilitarymo...abrador-squadron-mascot

Warthog attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
image1.JPG
Warthog
#2 Posted : 06 May 2015 22:39:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well time certainley does fly when your having fun as they say! Not a big update by any means but one that has had me scratching my head, reading up Bloggs and watching numerous video tutorials on how to paint faces has come to an end and I had to just bite the bullet so to speak and just get on with it. I've used a mix of pastels and Acrylics to get the result you see before you and to be honest I would do it over and over again to get it right but "what is right"? I'm happy with it and glad that I can put this part of the build to sleep.

The main body has had a good clean up and a coat of primer, it will need another clean up and more primer etc before work can start on Mr Gibson's Uniform.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Warthog
#3 Posted : 19 December 2015 12:46:26

A small update with regards to some base colours and some general details on the jacket to get the look I want. Still a long way to go though but being new to figures (ony 2 done to date) its another learning curve for me..

Spencer
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Nemesis
#4 Posted : 19 November 2016 11:42:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This build was handed over to me to put to bed, so here goes...BigGrin

I have built many things, but a black Labrador dog isn't one of them!LOL BigGrin The detail is really good, but he looked bald, so out came the Mr Surfacer to give him a fur coat. Coat of primer next and then some colour, never seen a grey lab!LOL BigGrin
Nemesis attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
birdaj2
#5 Posted : 19 November 2016 11:47:44

Hi Nem

Is a great kit that is for sure.

Be interested to see how you finish the dog which looks quite involved but sure you will produce a great result.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Nemesis
#6 Posted : 19 November 2016 12:22:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tony, thanks for looking in.BigGrin
I have given him a coat of primer and it has bought out the detail I added, really pleased. Now to let him dry and then make a black lab.....black!!LOL BigGrin
4.jpg
5.jpg
Nemesis
#7 Posted : 19 November 2016 13:59:14

It seems I now have a black Labrador!LOL BigGrin Next will be some of the details, collar, eyes and some highlights.BigGrin
6.jpg
7.jpg
Martyn Ingram
#8 Posted : 19 November 2016 16:44:16

BigGrin It makes me want to say here boy Laugh very nicely done Nem Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Nemesis
#9 Posted : 19 November 2016 20:09:08

Wing Commander Gibson had a nickname for his dog, and that was "Nigsey", so from now on I will refer to the dog as that, sounds better than just dog!LOL BigGrin
Now we have all seen the Dam Busters, and in the film Nigsey was portrayed as a pure black Labrador. Well after some research I discovered that actually he had a white diamond on his chest, so I have painted him as the photo's show him. This is not just a tribute to Guy Gibson, but Nigsey as well. They were inseparable on the ground and on training missions, even sleeping in the nose of Gibsons Lancaster when flying at 60 feet over the lake district training for the dams raid!Blink BigGrin He was also very partial to a pint, and the aircrews were always putting pint pots down for him, or filling his own bowl up with beer. His grave is to this day preserved with a tribute stone at RAF Scampton.

8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
Tomick
#10 Posted : 19 November 2016 20:16:58

Groups:

Poignant pics but great that he's still remembered.

Just a thought, dog's generally have wet noses, maybe some clear gloss on his nose might do the trick?
Nemesis
#11 Posted : 19 November 2016 20:28:24

Tomick wrote:
Poignant pics but great that he's still remembered.

Just a thought, dog's generally have wet noses, maybe some clear gloss on his nose might do the trick?

He is not finished yet. I will give him a coat of klear to seal the paint and then I can detail and some highlighting. Then a coat of varnish. Once I am happy then I will gloss his nose and eyes.BigGrin
Spal
#12 Posted : 19 November 2016 20:50:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well nobody can say this forum isn't varied on its content, I can't recall ever seeing anybody building a dog before BigGrin

Nice job Nem, i'm sure you will do him justice.

Al
pemberg
#13 Posted : 19 November 2016 23:40:14

Looking good and a great subject. The dambusters has always been a favourite film of mine.
Graeme
birdaj2
#14 Posted : 19 November 2016 23:50:53

Nemesis wrote:
Wing Commander Gibson had a nickname for his dog, and that was "Nigsey", so from now on I will refer to the dog as that, sounds better than just dog!LOL BigGrin
Now we have all seen the Dam Busters, and in the film Nigsey was portrayed as a pure black Labrador. Well after some research I discovered that actually he had a white diamond on his chest, so I have painted him as the photo's show him. This is not just a tribute to Guy Gibson, but Nigsey as well. They were inseparable on the ground and on training missions, even sleeping in the nose of Gibsons Lancaster when flying at 60 feet over the lake district training for the dams raid!Blink BigGrin He was also very partial to a pint, and the aircrews were always putting pint pots down for him, or filling his own bowl up with beer. His grave is to this day preserved with a tribute stone at RAF Scampton.

And for me that was the most upsetting part of the film when the poor dog was run over by a car. Have watched the film so many times over the years but whenever it gets to that part i go off to make a cup of tea Crying

You are doing a great job with this one i must say.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Tomick
#15 Posted : 20 November 2016 00:16:07

Groups:

There are a few stories that surround the dog.

Its been alleged by some sources that Nigsy was deliberately run over by an enemy agent in an attempt to attack the morale of 617 Squadron, as it happened on the same day the Dam Busters raid was launched. However, it is widely accepted that the driver of the car was an ordinary civilian who accidentally ran the dog over, though he had committed a criminal offence by not stopping or reporting it.

The dog used to portray Nigsy in the movie was an RAF dog, on loan to the production. When filming on location at RAF Scampton, where Nigsy and Gibson were to stroll through a group of RAF men waiting outside of a building for a briefing. The dog could not be persuaded to move off one spot, or even dragged past it on a leash. It later transpired that the location was where the real Nigsy had been buried, some 8 years before, whose gravestone had been temporarily removed for filming. In the end, the scene was filmed without the dog.

Also a story of the Nigsey ghost... http://www.dailymail.co....ador-WWII-memorial.html
davetwin
#16 Posted : 20 November 2016 07:47:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely work Nemesis and lots of interesting bits of history that's all new me BigGrin Cool
tf64
#17 Posted : 20 November 2016 10:38:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well done Nem, watching with interest, that dog's face is Haunting but memorable.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

ModelMania
#18 Posted : 20 November 2016 14:10:40

Groups:

Great to see this figure build resurrected and well done Daran for taking it on as figures aren't to most peoples' liking. Nice work on the dog so far, that'll be a tricky one to paint with all of that black and not a lot of detail to break it up, but I'm sure you'll sort it into something special mate.

Looking forward to seeing this finished. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Nemesis
#19 Posted : 20 November 2016 16:07:30

Thanks everyone for looking in and your comments.BigGrin
You hit the nail on the head Kev, how do you detail a completely black subject?!Confused Blink BigGrin A friend of mine has a black lab, and to be honest there are no shades, its all light reflection from his coat. As he moves the reflection changes, so I think I will give Nigsey a matt varnish coat and then flow some gloss klear into the creases in his coat and see what happens. BigGrin
Tomick
#20 Posted : 20 November 2016 17:15:34

Groups:

Just don't rub his belly Laugh LOL