Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Gord's Samurai Build Diary Options
rosewoodhill
#21 Posted : 24 March 2015 16:54:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thanks for the info Andy regarding the stand. Now that I look at it again, I should have guessed something goes in those two holes!
Have I got long before I can hang what I've done on the stand? All the bits are in plastic bags...
Cheers, Gord.
Subscribed: Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

In The Last Few Years Builds: DeAgostini Samurai Armour Kobayashi Kougei: 1/100 Horyuji Kondo, 1/100 Horyuji Inner Gate, 1/36 Muro-ji Five-Story Pagoda, Public Bath House of Showa, Model Shipyard: 1/72 Los Morrillos de Cabo Rojo Lighthouse. 1/72 Kermorvan Lighthouse
Woody Joe: 1/150 Azuchi Castle.

Building: Kobayashi Kougei: 1/100 Himeji Castle, 1/70 ji Kinkaku.

Received but not started: Woody Joe 1/50 Ishiyamadera Pagoda
arpurchase
#22 Posted : 24 March 2015 17:27:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Gord

As your doing the 12 month build you will recieve parts quicker than I did as it was around 14 monthly issues here. So I think that by the time your around pack 7 you should have all the sides of the upper armour fitted along with the around half or more of the tassets. Hanging the armour on the stand will make the fitting of the tassets much easyer , well I thought it did anywayLOL. One other thing I will mention is that the sweat band for the helmet can be a tight fit but you do get another piece for this in the next issue if i remember rightly.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

rosewoodhill
#23 Posted : 30 April 2015 21:08:23

Welcome to Pack 5 of 12.

First off, thanks to all who stopped by to take a look!

In the previous post was the following question:

Which of the four subjects was not part of Samurai cultural and artistic endeavours?

1. Calligraphy
2. Literature
3. Mosquito Hunting
4. Flower Arranging

The answer is 3. Bonus points if you got the Monty Python reference.

Now, on to Pack 5.

The Cuirass Back:

The back of the cuirass was finished with a side piece and a top part and a hinge piece was added. At this point all of the panels could be attached together. With all the panels joined with pins, it can now be displayed as one assembly on the wooden stand. Now it’s starting to look like something! I still have to sand the wood and put a finish on it.

Neck Guard:

Plate four of the neck guard was laced to the rest of the neck guard plates. The neck guard is now finished, I think. Ready to be joined to the helmet.

Wooden Stand:

The final two pieces of wood have been added to the stand. It is ready for sanding and a finish.

Pole Support:

The pole support has been added to the back panel with two strips of leather and knots.

Leather Pad:

A pad has been attached to the bottom of the back with a long cord.

Cuirass Fastenings:

Also added this month was a U-tube and some cord as shown below.

The question for this month is:

Is the following statement true or did I just make it up because I’m running out of meaningful Samurai trivia?

“The most famous feature of the helmet was its Darth Vader–like neck guard, Darth Vader’s design was actually influenced by samurai helmets.”

That’s it for this month, cheers, Gord.

In The Last Few Years Builds: DeAgostini Samurai Armour Kobayashi Kougei: 1/100 Horyuji Kondo, 1/100 Horyuji Inner Gate, 1/36 Muro-ji Five-Story Pagoda, Public Bath House of Showa, Model Shipyard: 1/72 Los Morrillos de Cabo Rojo Lighthouse. 1/72 Kermorvan Lighthouse

arpurchase
#24 Posted : 30 April 2015 21:27:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Gord

She is starting to look the part now and when on the stand gives a good idea of the sheer size of the completed armour. Great work.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#25 Posted : 30 April 2015 21:53:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am loving your build and photos of this, its looking so neat and tidy Cool

Are you wearing gloves to keep all the finger prints away or polishing it up after each section?
delboy271155
#26 Posted : 30 April 2015 21:54:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Gord,BigGrin

Looking good, Cool

I`ve got this one in my stash for a later date and this and some of the other diaries will be an excellent guide for me, "when I get started".

Keep up the good work I`m really liking this.

Love Love Love

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

rosewoodhill
#27 Posted : 01 May 2015 05:39:36

davetwin wrote:
I am loving your build and photos of this, its looking so neat and tidy Cool

Are you wearing gloves to keep all the finger prints away or polishing it up after each section?

LOL I tried, but it was too hard to manipulate the cord and all the other stuff so i gave up on the gloves. There's fingerprints for sure.
I've decided that it can collect all the fingerprints it wants, when it's finished I'll go over it it with some alcohol and a microfiber cloth. I've have found that a can of compressed air is perfect for blowing all the crud off of the threaded areas.

Cheers, Gord.

Impatience
#28 Posted : 01 May 2015 07:16:53

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Just read through your whole diary. Rally good stuff!! You almost had me convinced to look at doing one of these until you said CA glue, that stuff scares me!!! Then all the precision necessary to get all that threading to match, holy Christ you must have some serious patience!!! Your build is looking exquisite, looking forward to you future installments.

Ohh, digging the monthly trivia as well!! Keep it coming.
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7
rosewoodhill
#29 Posted : 02 May 2015 05:48:42

Impatience wrote:
Just read through your whole diary. Rally good stuff!! You almost had me convinced to look at doing one of these until you said CA glue, that stuff scares me!!! Then all the precision necessary to get all that threading to match, holy Christ you must have some serious patience!!! Your build is looking exquisite, looking forward to you future installments.

Ohh, digging the monthly trivia as well!! Keep it coming.

Thanks for the compliment!

My ex-wife said I must have the patience of a saint to have put up her for all those years! The threading is a challenge, for sure. Can be frustrating at times, but very satisfying when you've completed a section.
The CA glue can leave a type of "white fog" from the fumes on the gloss black paint so you do have to be careful...

Cheers, Gord.

rosewoodhill
#30 Posted : 08 June 2015 18:20:56

Welcome to Pack 6 of 12.

Is the following statement true or did I just make it up because I’m running out of meaningful Samurai trivia?

“The most famous feature of the helmet was its Darth Vader–like neck guard, Darth Vader’s design was actually influenced by samurai helmets.”

The answer is it’s true, because the internet says so… How's that for a Millennium Falcon tie-in?

Now, on to Pack 6.

The Shoulder Pad:

This pad is added to the inside of the suit to cushion the shoulder plates and the top of the shoulder area at the back. it was secured to the shoulder plates and the back plate with some thread included in this pack.

Helmet Lining:

This was the most challenging part of the kit to date!
It had some folds from packing so I ironed out the wrinkles before proceeding. You start by pulling some threads in order to draw the fabric into a cap shape. The next step is to sew, by hand, a stretchy strip of fabric to the perimeter. My kit came with 2 strips, one stretchy and one that isn’t stretchy. The one that isn’t stretchy was different shades of blue on each side, and this is the one the instructions said to use. So I sewed it to the lining with the correct colour facing out. Because it wouldn’t stretch it was impossible to install as per the instructions. Thats when I noticed the extra one is stretchy but the same colour on both sides. So I cut all the threads to remove the non-stretchy strip and sewed on the stretchy strip. That was the one to use. I don’t know why they give you two strips when the parts list only shows one is included. I glued some thin upholstery foam on the inside of the helmet, this made it feel better when done and it fits on the wooden stand just right.
With the lining stretched over the edge of the helmet, the completed neck guard assembly is added with three rivets secured with CA glue. The neck guard covers up the part of the stretchy strip that got glued on.
In reading the instructions, this part looked hard so I left doing this part to the end.

Tassets:

Three more assets were made up and attached to the cuirass. I think three more to go and thats it for the tassets.

The Guard Pad:

A guard pad that comes pre-finished was attached to the main body of the suit with lace at the top and thread at the bottom..

The Beard:

This was a very interesting procedure to do. You are supplied two packages of hair, can’t tell what animal its from…
The amount supplied was way more that you need, I’d rather have too much than too little. With the hair in and trimmed it really looks good, very pleased.

Here is a pic of the suit so far. I got a box that is just the right size for the wooden stand to sit on. It’s really coming along!

Which of the following is a name of a famous Samurai?

1. Alan Whicker

2. Herr Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm, and ask you - just quickly - if there's any particular thing that you remember about Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm

3. Date Masamune

4. Michael Ellis

stevie_o
#31 Posted : 08 June 2015 19:06:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

rosewoodhill
#32 Posted : 27 June 2015 21:05:19

Welcome to Pack 7 of 12.

Which of the following is a name of a famous Samurai?

1. Alan Whicker

2. Herr Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm, and ask you - just quickly - if there's any particular thing that you remember about Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm

3. Date Masamune

4. Michael Ellis

The correct answer is number 3. The others are characters from three of my favourite sketches from Monty Python. Oh yes, there will be more Python references.

Now, on to Pack 7.

The Tasset Plates:

The last of the tasset plates have been made up and atached to the main body of the armour. So 11 in all. Now it really looks proper.

The Neck Guard:

Three neck guard plates were attached to the chin area of the face armour. The lacing method was similar in concept to the tasset plates but quite challenging because of very little clearance between the plates to thread the lace through with fat fingers. A length of lace is used to hang the face plate from the wooden stand.

The Gaunlet:

This month saw the start of the gauntlets, starting with one arm. You don’t have to assemble it from individual links, you receive a sheet and a strip of pre-assembled large and small links, you simply remove the links that are not required. There is quite a few links to open and close to join sections but it was much easier and quicker than the instructions would have you believe. Also supplied this month is a very nice pair of smooth jaw needle nose pliers for this very purpose.

So, looks like the bulk of the build going forward will be gauntlets

Emperor Meiji abolished the samurai's right to be the only armed force in favor of a more modern, western-style, conscripted army in what year?

1. 1853
  2. 1873
  3. 1877
  4. 1867

rosewoodhill
#33 Posted : 25 July 2015 20:54:24

Welcome to Pack 8 of 12.

Emperor Meiji abolished the samurai's right to be the only armed force in favor of a more modern, western-style, conscripted army in what year?

1. 1853
2. 1873
3. 1877
4. 1867

The correct answer is 1873.

Now, on to Pack 8.

The Gauntlet:

The start of the chain link from last month was finished this month with the addition of the hand portion. The edges of this chain assembly was then sewn to the foundation fabric then the body of it was sewn to the same foundation fabric so it would not move against the fabric. A cord was added around the wrist then a fabric backing was added to finish the back of the sleeve and hide the threads that hold the chain links to the foundation fabric. Holes were then punched around the edges to be able to add blue cord on the back side to form a sleeve. Next, was two decorative knots at the tips of the fingers. Finally, two toggles were made up to be able to hang the finished sleeve from the shoulder plate. I goofed up and put one hanging toggle on each shoulder instead of both on one shoulder, so I won’t be able to hang the finished sleeve until I receive the other toggle materials in a future pack. This whole assembly took many hours to finish, very involved and time consuming, but the results are very much worth it. I can’t believe I’m going to have to do it all over agin for the other sleeve…

The Thigh Guard:

The rest of this months work was a start on the thigh guard. Small metal plates are laced together then sewn to the thigh guard fabric backing with lace. Two rows were added with, I think, three more to add for a total of five rows. This was way easier than the arm so a welcome bit of easy work.

That’s it for this month.

Cheers, Gord.

arpurchase
#34 Posted : 25 July 2015 21:13:53

BigGrin Very nice work Gord, the sleeves take a lot of work but all worth it in the end and you have done a great jobCool

stevie_o
#35 Posted : 25 July 2015 21:32:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

rosewoodhill
#36 Posted : 29 August 2015 22:24:14

Welcome to Pack 9 of 12.

First off, thanks to all who stopped by to take a look and comment!

Now, on to Pack 9.

The Thigh Guard:

The first thigh guard that was started last month was finished this month. Four more rows of plates were added for a total of six rows of plates. Next operation was to add the blue fabric backing which was held in the proper position with a drop of glue at each corner. Then, the faux suede edging was folded over onto the edge of the blue fabric backing and glued down with CA glue. This was done all around the edge. The very top edge isn’t sealed, but I’m sure the reason why will be revealed in a future pack. It turned out very well.

The Second Guantlet:

The second gauntlet was started and finished with this pack. Good thing the instructions said to make sure its a mirror image of the first one! Wouldn’t want to end up with two left hands!

The Second Thigh Guard:

This month also saw the start of the second thigh guard. Two rows of plates were added, just like the first one. Tiny white dots indicate were to punch the holes for the lace, no guesswork here. Rather than using the recommended awl to poke holes, I used the supplied punch and sharpened it, then used a hammer to punch a nice clean tiny hole. I sharpened it by putting it in the cordless drill and spinning it against successively finer grades of sandpaper.

That’s it for this month, Cheers, Gord.

stevie_o
#37 Posted : 29 August 2015 22:34:50

arpurchase
#38 Posted : 29 August 2015 22:45:04

BigGrin Hi Gord

Great work on the thigh guards, the reason the top is left open is that both thigh guards when finished will be added to a silk belt that attaches both guards together. Keep the pics coming.

Regards

AndyCool

rosewoodhill
#39 Posted : 30 August 2015 05:37:11

Thanks Steve and Andy for the kind comments, and for answering the question of why the top isn't sewn shut yet.
Sure is going to be quite the sight when done, three more packs to go!
Cheers, Gord.

Gandale
#40 Posted : 30 August 2015 11:07:56

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Gord, have to give you credit for producing a beautiful piece of work, can see you have put a great deal of care and attention into this.... Absolutely fab....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan