Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Gord's Samurai Build Diary Options
davetwin
#41 Posted : 30 August 2015 12:53:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Fantastic pictures! This does like a pretty amazing build and looks like you are doing a superb job of it, look forward to your next update. Cool
rosewoodhill
#42 Posted : 18 October 2015 02:43:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to Pack 9 of 12.

First off, thanks to all who stopped by to take a look and comment! I appreciate you stopping by for a look!

Now, on to Pack 10.

The Right Gauntlet Sleeve:

The second gauntlet has now been finished with this month’s pack. It went a lot faster than the first one, but I think the first one turned out better. The sleeves were the hardest part of the whole build. Glad there both done now!

The Second Thigh Guard:

The second thigh guard has had two more rows of plates added. Again, these are a breeze compared to the sleeves!

The Display Box:

This month I also received the display/storage box. I can report that it is very sturdy. It’s made of cardboard, but not corrugated cardboard. It’s solid cardboard, knd of like thin plywood. It’s quite sturdy and heavy. The outside is covered with shiny paper which looks very nice and should wear fairly well.

How on earth do you keep dust off of it? Maybe I'll keep it covered with a plastic bag until someone comes over to see it...Laugh

Only two more months to go!

That’s it for this month, Cheers, Gord.
Subscribed: Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

In The Last Few Years Builds: DeAgostini Samurai Armour Kobayashi Kougei: 1/100 Horyuji Kondo, 1/100 Horyuji Inner Gate, 1/36 Muro-ji Five-Story Pagoda, Public Bath House of Showa, Model Shipyard: 1/72 Los Morrillos de Cabo Rojo Lighthouse. 1/72 Kermorvan Lighthouse
Woody Joe: 1/150 Azuchi Castle.

Building: Kobayashi Kougei: 1/100 Himeji Castle, 1/70 ji Kinkaku.

Received but not started: Woody Joe 1/50 Ishiyamadera Pagoda
Gandale
#43 Posted : 18 October 2015 09:24:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work and a superb display piece..... Drool Drool Drool .. To keep the dust off I'd be tempted to have a display case made for it or make one myself.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to your next update..

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#44 Posted : 18 October 2015 10:31:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

rosewoodhill
#45 Posted : 12 November 2015 02:48:26

Welcome to Pack 11 of 12.

First off, thanks to all who stopped by to take a look and comment!

Now, on to Pack 11.

The Left Leg Guard:

This month saw the start of one of the leg guards. Six curved metal plates were joined together with lace. The top half’s were joined to the bottom half’s with a lacing pattern which was very difficult to do because of the tight clearance between the two plates. As much as I tried, I couldn’t observe the “mountain” and “valley” lacing so I’ve got mountains when I should have valleys and vis a versa. After each set of two was laced, the three pairs were laced to form a leg guard. This part of the lacing was easy.

The Thigh Guards:

The second thigh guard has had the remaining 2 sets of plates added. Then, the backing was glued on just like the first one.

Next up was to join the two thigh guards together with the waist band. I used a hot iron to make the waistband flat and also to iron the folds into the open edge of the fabric which would make the assembly much easier to put together. Rather than use glue as in the instructions, I found some hemming glue material in my junk drawer. See a picture below to see what I mean. I also used it to close the open ends of the waistband. You cut an appropriate length then place it between the two thicknesses of fabric then use an iron to melt it, which bonds the fabric together. This worked so well its just crazy.

After that a leather patch is glued on at the overlap of the two guards then some cord is added in the flower shape.

One end of the flaps of the thigh guard gets a button and the other end gets a loop so the flaps can wrap around and join together.

A length of lace was added where the waist band meets the thigh guard to add some strength to the joint.

Last thing was to add a length of cord to the decorative flower and wrap thread around each end for a decorative effect and to stop it unraveling.

Only one more month to go!

That’s it for this month, Cheers, Gord.

In The Last Few Years Builds: DeAgostini Samurai Armour Kobayashi Kougei: 1/100 Horyuji Kondo, 1/100 Horyuji Inner Gate, 1/36 Muro-ji Five-Story Pagoda, Public Bath House of Showa, Model Shipyard: 1/72 Los Morrillos de Cabo Rojo Lighthouse. 1/72 Kermorvan Lighthouse

arpurchase
#46 Posted : 12 November 2015 09:16:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Great work there all very neat and tidyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#47 Posted : 12 November 2015 13:55:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Awesome update Gord and some fantastic pictures too. Mustn't forget to say Excellant Job, really enjoying watching you put this together BigGrin Cool
stevie_o
#48 Posted : 12 November 2015 14:34:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

rosewoodhill
#49 Posted : 24 December 2015 03:33:59

Welcome to Pack 12 of 12.

First off, thanks to all who stopped by to take a look and comment!

Now, on to Pack 12, the last one!

The Leg Guards:

This final month saw the finishing of one of the leg guards and then starting and finishing the other leg guard. The six curved metal plates joined last month were laced to the foundation fabric using lace on the edges and across the middle. Leg guard bands were laced to this assembly with more lace, the leg guard bands wrap around the finished piece. Lastly, the backing fabric was added to finish the leg guard off. The instructions recommend using the cardboard core from a roll of toilet paper to act as a form for the leg guard to wrap around, first covering it with black tissue paper. The cardboard tubes were easy to get, but I couldn’t find black tissue paper in any store I went into. Wether it was a craft store, dollar store or party supply store, they looked puzzled why I would want tissue paper in black.
Then I remembered I had some black vinyl at home so I wrapped the cardboard tubes in that. See the pics for how that turned out.
The second leg guard was done this month from start to finish.

The Support Pole:

The support pole for a sword had a wooden core added, then a metal ring added to finish off the top of it. Then, it was laced at the bottom to the back piece of the suit.

The Helmet Cord:

Next to last thing to do to the helmet was to add the cord which would be used to secure the helmet to the Samurai’s head. I couldn’t follow the lacing pattern exactly as instructed to do because it seemed to be too short, so I improvised a bit. No one will know the difference.
Last thing to do to the helmet was to add the gold crest.

I then polished up all the metal to get rid of fingerprints and started to place all my hard work onto the stand and sit back and admire it! With no more delay here are the beauty shots:

Some final random thoughts;

-This is a great kit, someone clearly spent a great deal of time engineering this!
-Each month’s pack provides hours of work, not minutes. So, that makes it great value.
-Huge attention getter, everyone who sees it want to put their greasy fingerprints all over it!
-The parts are very high quality with a flawless glossy paint finish. I didn’t have any defects on any piece I received.
-The instructions show how to pack it away in the display box, good to know.
-The pictures in the instruction books show the storage box as wood, but the one you receive is cardboard, but very thick and sturdy.
-Seeing others diaries help me a lot with construction so thanks for going to the trouble.

Thanks to DeAgostini for offering this here.

Cheer, Gord.

darbyvet
#50 Posted : 24 December 2015 04:14:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Absolutely stunning Gord. A real showpiece to display

Carl
Gandale
#51 Posted : 24 December 2015 08:48:49

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work ending in a stunning result. Can see the care and attention you have put into this, very well done indeed....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#52 Posted : 24 December 2015 10:45:27

BigGrin Great work Gord and what a result, by the way the tube on the back plate was for a flag pole that had a small pennant to show what army you were fighting with.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

mpfiend
#53 Posted : 18 January 2016 17:28:54

You have made a beautiful job of building this Gord,
A really stunning display and a credit to the hours that you have put into it.
I have just ordered this today after reading your diary and I am really looking forward to receiving it and making a start.
Did you manage to source a display cabinet for this?

Regards

Keith.
delboy271155
#54 Posted : 18 January 2016 18:43:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Fantastic job there Gord.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

stevie_o
#55 Posted : 18 January 2016 19:51:07

birdaj2
#56 Posted : 18 January 2016 19:55:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks absolutly brilliant. Even better with your excellant and very clear pictures.

Its one i would love to build but have my d51, u96 and 3d printer subs ongoing at the moment so holding out to see what else might be offered before taking the plunge.

Just looked at your pictures and all of the material looks brilliant and of such good quality. This really is the sort of item they would could a heirloom item.

Very well done on a stunning build
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Nytetrain
#57 Posted : 19 January 2016 04:40:42

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great build Gord. Loved reading your build log and the trivia was great. So why was flower arrangement part of the samurai training? Your armor looks fantastic. You should be very proud.

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
rosewoodhill
#58 Posted : 20 January 2016 03:58:54

Hi all!

Thanks for the continued interest!

Thanks to Carl, Alan, Andy, Kieth, Derek, Steve, Tony and Ron and many others for your comments.

Thanks Andy for pointing out the purpose of the pole support at the back, yea, a flag pole support makes sense. I guessed as to it's purpose!

Keith; haven't got a case sorted yet, but it needs one bad as dust is super hard to remove. Right now I have a big bag over it for dust protection, which I remove at the first sign of visitors...

Ron; "Ikebana" (Japanese flower arrangement) was seen as a martial art, as it helped the samurai to concentrate his mind on a single object. Who knew?

Cheers, Gord.

mpfiend
#59 Posted : 20 January 2016 06:53:09

rosewoodhill wrote:
Hi all!

Thanks for the continued interest!

Thanks to Carl, Alan, Andy, Kieth, Derek, Steve, Tony and Ron and many others for your comments.

Thanks Andy for pointing out the purpose of the pole support at the back, yea, a flag pole support makes sense. I guessed as to it's purpose!

Keith; haven't got a case sorted yet, but it needs one bad as dust is super hard to remove. Right now I have a big bag over it for dust protection, which I remove at the first sign of visitors...

Ron; "Ikebana" (Japanese flower arrangement) was seen as a martial art, as it helped the samurai to concentrate his mind on a single object. Who knew?

Cheers, Gord.

Thanks Gord.

Do you know any where that have a display case available for this?
I see that Deagostini Japan offered one as an optional extra (along with some extra items) but
I'm not sure this is available over here?

Best regards

Keith.
rosewoodhill
#60 Posted : 24 January 2016 05:44:59

Hi Keith.

I didn't know that there was one available in Japan. I haven't received any indication that one would be available here or anywhere else.
I've always just assumed sorting a case would be up to me. I will build one but it will have to wait until I retire and have a woodworking shop again! Less than 3 years to go !

Cheers, Gord.