Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Kevs' 1:9 (200mm) Bust of Ivan N Kozhedub (WWII Soviet Ace - 62 kills) Options
stevie_o
#21 Posted : 07 March 2015 23:50:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

tf64
#22 Posted : 08 March 2015 10:42:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Kev,
I do as always admire your work and this will be I think one of your best, but what is amazing to me is how did you paint the stitching on the straps.
Regards
Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Warthog
#23 Posted : 08 March 2015 12:39:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

That is looking pretty sweet Kev Drool top work once again mate

Spence
ModelMania
#24 Posted : 08 March 2015 14:52:33

Groups:

Thanks for the nice comments guys they are very much appreciated as always!! Looking forward to getting stuck into the shadows and highlights next. Cool ThumpUp

@ Derek - Not sure what you mean by 'clear', do you mean just leaving them grey as they are or painting them plain silver or blue as some figure modellers do? I get what you mean by painting them brown like the flying helmet beneath, but then to look really convincing it needs to be taken a bit further than just painting them plain brown? The approach to painting the lenses will be a kind of illusion of the flying helmet colours beneath but also overlaid with a sort of reflection of the outside world blended in and then gloss coated over to look like there is a glass/perspex layer - does that make sense? Easier to show than explain, so if you can wait until I get there I'll do a walkthrough of how to achieve the look for you? What scale are the 'Last of the Few' figures that you have Derek? I'd be very interested to see a photo of them if possible my friend - who makes them?

@ Steve - it was really easy to achieve the look of leather and it was done in just one layer of paint, though there is still more to do to that area yet. I'll explain how to do it when I get round to painting the flying helmet on my 'Johnnie' Johnson' figure as part of my competition entry with his Spitfire?

@ Trev - Thanks for the nice compliments Trev, much appreciated as always. I haven't painted the stitches in yet mate, it is just a trick of the light plus as I say in the text, the harness straps are painted in a 'grey' tinted white which does help the shadows show more when photographed? The straps will receive some more texturing later and there will be a wash added which will show the stitches even more.

Thanks again for your interest and comments guys. Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin