Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages 123>»
Leopold railway gun Dioramma Options
Nemesis
#1 Posted : 21 January 2015 14:32:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

"Build of the year 2015 entry"

Hi and thanks for looking in. This is a build I have been planning for a few years now, and I still need to collect some bits and pieces, and this seemed an ideal time to start or it was destined to remain under the bed and gather dust!LOL BigGrin

So what do we have in the build? I was given the Leopold as a Christmas prezzie a few years ago and I decided then that although it was a good kit as a stand alone model, it needed something else. So I made up my mind it was going to be a dio. A train was needed. I added the BR-52. Something for the shells. A wagon was added. Deffense. A flack gun was added!! Its going to be around 6 foot long when completed!! So as you can see in the picture its going to be a bit of an epic build, with pe sets, ally barrel, ally shells, loads of crew and anything else I can find along the way!!! Should keep me busy for a year or three!! So watch this post and you will see a modeler go slowly off the rails (pun intendedLOL ), and loose all his hair and sanity!!LOL LOL BigGrin BigGrin

ModelMania
#2 Posted : 21 January 2015 14:53:55

Groups:

Well Daran, I think I've known that you had this little lot in your stash as long as you have and I'm so glad that you've finally dragged it onto your modelling bench (that might be benches in the plural once you get going methinks)?!

Gonna love watching this build take shape mate, it is going to be an epic journey and I just know it is going to be an absolute stunner when finished - looking forward to watching it develop!! Drool Love Drool Love Drool ThumpUp ThumpUp

This'll take some beating in the competition, that's for sure!! Huh Blink Glare Glare

Good luck with it mate ..... I think you're gonna need it!! LOL LOL LOL

Kev BigGrin
Tomick
#3 Posted : 21 January 2015 15:29:00

Groups:

Great to have another entry aboard Cool

Good luck with it and hope she who must be obeyed does not give you to much grief about it taking over the house Laugh
Nemesis
#4 Posted : 21 January 2015 15:50:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tomick wrote:
Great to have another entry aboard Cool

Good luck with it and hope she who must be obeyed does not give you to much grief about it taking over the house Laugh

It was SWMBO that bought me the Leo!!!LOL LOL LOL
Tomick
#5 Posted : 21 January 2015 16:08:34

Groups:

Has she yet realised just how big this is? Laugh
Nemesis
#6 Posted : 21 January 2015 16:13:13

Tomick wrote:
Has she yet realised just how big this is? Laugh

Yes its over six foot and I have been told I can have a wall in the living room to mount it!!LOL She is very arty crafty and supports my hobbies, its bliss in my house!!LOL BigGrin
Nemesis
#7 Posted : 21 January 2015 17:01:13

So whats in the boxes?BigGrin I will go through each of the individual kits involved in this dio so you can see what is going to be involved, or how cuckoo I am!!LOL LOL

The BR-52.

There are 710 parts in this build, including the rail tracks. Each kit has its own set of tracks, and they will all be assembled together when I have found a base. The sprues are all in light grey and the parts are very crisp with no flash or sink marks.

The instructions are in a large booklet and very well printed and easy to follow.

A nice colour sheet for painting instructions, I will be doing the two tone camo scheme.

There are some good photo etch sets available for this kit, these are the two I am using, although I may use a third one. The PE set for the tender comes with a bag of scale coal!!

The only thing left to get is a crew for the train, and maybe the other PE set, but for now, this is what I will be building. The next post will be a look at the Leopold.BigGrin BigGrin

davetwin
#8 Posted : 21 January 2015 19:25:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I had a feeling you were going to unveil somethig bog for your entry, but holy cow Blink this is HUGH

Will be an interesting build to follow, one that I think I will enjoy.

So many amzaing entries into this competition that I forsee it being a tough job ot pick a favourite Confused

Nemesis
#9 Posted : 21 January 2015 19:34:02

Hi Dave and thanks for looking in and your comment. All I can say is, I am glad it only had to be started and not finished this year!!!LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
ModelMania
#10 Posted : 21 January 2015 19:41:39

Groups:

A nice bag of goodies there Daran, though with the amount of etch and small parts you are going to have to assemble across all of the kits, I can see you sitting cross-eyed and shaking nervously in the corner of your workroom before this is finished!! LOL LOL LOL Blink Blink Flapper Flapper

Where did you get your 'VoyagerModel' upgrades for the BR.52, was it in the UK? I like the look of some of their stuff, but most of what I see on Ebay is from Australia!! Blink Huh

Looking forward to you starting this Daran - should be good. ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
Gandale
#11 Posted : 21 January 2015 19:53:01

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

What a fabulous looking kit and am sure in your hands it will turn out to be something fantastic..... Drool Drool .. This is a build I will be following all the way so good luck with it Daran.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Nemesis
#12 Posted : 21 January 2015 20:12:05

Thanks for looking in Kev and Alan. Yes Kev they are from Down Under!LOL Cheaper to get the shipped than get them anywhere else!!Blink BigGrin
ModelMania
#13 Posted : 21 January 2015 20:28:49

Groups:

Nemesis wrote:
.... Yes Kev they are from Down Under!LOL Cheaper to get the shipped than get them anywhere else!!Blink BigGrin

Thanks for that Daran, did you get stung for any 'Import Duties' or extra Royal Mail delivery charges when they arrived in the UK?

Kev BigGrin

jase
#14 Posted : 21 January 2015 20:30:28

Very nice and yet another variation in the competiton.

Looking forward to this build very much.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Nemesis
#15 Posted : 21 January 2015 20:33:02

Hi Kev, no its about 4 quid delivery charge and no hidden stingers!!LOL BigGrin
Thanks Jase, should be an interesting competition with such a wide variety of builds, looking forward to making a start now.BigGrin
delboy271155
#16 Posted : 21 January 2015 20:36:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Awe c`mon Nem, Blink

You don`t need the other half on side for this one.

This country has so many sidings and goods sheds standing empty, you could rent one for pennies!!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Seriously though,

Good to see another entry aboard.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Nemesis
#17 Posted : 21 January 2015 20:38:35

Hello Derek, was more thinking a rail shed for the kids and convert their rooms!!LOL LOL LOL Thanks for looking in, its gonna be a fun year me thinks!!BigGrin
Warthog
#18 Posted : 21 January 2015 23:07:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Some very nice kits there Nem and it's going to look pretty nice indeed once it all comes together. A great choice for the competition and best of luck Cool

Spencer
Nemesis
#19 Posted : 21 January 2015 23:32:58

Thanks for the comment and looking in Spencer, after seeing the other entries I had to pull something out of the hat, some really great builds from some really good modelers!!Crying Blink BigGrin
stevie_o
#20 Posted : 21 January 2015 23:36:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal