Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<34567>
Leopold railway gun Dioramma Options
mark 2
#81 Posted : 20 May 2015 07:20:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Daran BigGrin .
I am so glad you are back doing this build and I hope you are well.
I have no doubt that a craftsman like yourself will do this build justice.
Keep up the fantastic work as I look on in wonderment.
Best regards.
Mark
Nemesis
#82 Posted : 25 May 2015 23:24:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

So here is the next installment, some more pe done, although it doesn't look like it, and the air tanks positioned. Air tanks need a lot of work yet and not glued proper. I have included a picture with the tender upper so you get an idea of the size, my cutting mat is 44cm wide!!Blink Blink LOL BigGrin

Need a break from the pe on this, little bolt heads are driving me nuts,Crying Blink LOL so I am going to start the Leopold!!BigGrin BigGrin
Nemesis
#83 Posted : 26 May 2015 17:38:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

So I have made a start on the Leopold. Started with the breach and cradle and the barrel. The barrel has an insert that fits in to the original kit parts and that then supports the barrel. looks the part in turned ally, and no seam to try and smooth out.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin It is massive, and the barrel and breach assembly are longer than the BR-52!!Blink LOL The back of the breach will be filled with lead shot as a counter balance to the weight of the barrel.BigGrin

stevie_o
#84 Posted : 26 May 2015 20:03:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

mogwai
#85 Posted : 26 May 2015 22:10:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi this is just looking fantastic, look forward to following this one.cheers mick. BigGrin BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Nemesis
#86 Posted : 27 May 2015 10:09:29

I have found some small issues with the kit, but nothing that cant be fixed or modified.The breach block fit in the main cradle was terrible, like waving a sausage in the channel tunnel!!LOL LOL So I made a collar from the trusted plasticard which centralized it and made it a snug fit.

It needs to be a good fit and solid as I will be using the back of the breach block as a counter balance for the weight of the barrel, and it will be filled with lead shot in the 3 compartments you can see.

Dry fit of the back of the breach block to make sure it all lines up.

Warthog
#87 Posted : 27 May 2015 14:25:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Your going to need a bigger house for that! Great work so far Nem and it's going to be a beast of a thing Drool

Spencer
Nemesis
#88 Posted : 27 May 2015 16:46:18

Thanks for the comments it is going to rather large!!LOL LOL
So on with the breach. the firing block was not a good fit and one of the guides was missing, although being on the bottom it coudn't be seen, but I knew it was missing!!LOL LOL So out with the trusty card.BigGrin BigGrin

ModelMania
#89 Posted : 28 May 2015 00:02:26

Groups:

Inspiring work as always Daran and great to see this magnificent build moving along again - well done!! Cool Cool ThumpUp

Question: How much lead shot is it going to take to balance the weight of that enormous barrel?! Blink Huh

Kev BigGrin
Hans
#90 Posted : 28 May 2015 10:14:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

What a beautiful build. I do believe space will be a problem. Good job will be following this one. Well done.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Nemesis
#91 Posted : 28 May 2015 10:57:05

Hello Kev, thanks for looking in. The compartments will be full of lead shot, I will post a pic when I get to it.
Hans, I am making a shelf to go on the wall to support the dio, it will have to be very strong as I plan a case to go over it as dusting it is not an option!!!LOL LOL

The hydraulic ram supports were hollow so I filled them with car filler!!BigGrin BigGrin

Nemesis
#92 Posted : 28 May 2015 16:41:58

Well it has come to the point in the build I need to start thinking about painting as it is such a large piece and will need doing in sections. After lots of research, books and forums, it seems that there are heated discussions over the colours Leopold was painted. Some say green, some grey, some red oxide or sand yellow and red brown!! So I decided to email Aberdeen Proving Ground to see what they had to say on the matter, and this is the reply I got,

Sir: The original paint scheme on the gun from Krupps was "Panzergrau" which, for the
lack of a better word, is dark grey. The gun was painted in its current scheme
before it went to Italy. It was the current Mediterranean camouflage scheme.
After firing into Anzio, the Commander was informed he was to be withdrawn back to Germany. The crew broke into a rail shed
alongside the tracks and found some light grey paint belonging to the
Italian rail road company. They used it to paint the K5, thinning the paint with
gasoline. After they got it painted, the German propaganda people from
SIGNAL turned up and took some photos of the K5 painted light grey and made a
film showing Leopold "in action" painted in this totally non standard color scheme. So, when
it was captured it was in a very light grey paint scheme and that color was
maintained over the years here at APG. Many years ago when we were ready
to repaint the K5, we found the original paint scheme under the grey. We
marked it out with chalk and repainted it as near as we could get to what was uncovered.
APG

So that is where I am with paint!!LOL LOL LOL I will start by painting it as from the factory, grey over red oxide, then spray the yellow and brown scheme over the top. It will give an interesting finish as the decals would be on the grey and you can bet your bottom dollar the Germans didn't mask them off, so plenty of over spray and faded edges!!LOL LOL I have found a B/W photo showing this although not the full pattern, so it gives me plenty of scope to play with.BigGrin BigGrin
Tomick
#93 Posted : 28 May 2015 17:32:05

Groups:

Interesting stuff and that gun barrel look the biz ThumpUp
Nemesis
#94 Posted : 28 May 2015 19:41:28

Dry fitting of the gun chassis to make sure it all lines up and is square, lots of horror stories about the chassis fit but this seems good.

Its a monster of a kit, here is the BR-52 for a size comparison, and the rail trucks are not shown!!

And the Two Penny shot!!LOL LOL LOL

ModelMania
#95 Posted : 28 May 2015 21:30:37

Groups:

HaHa!! Love that, most people use the famous "penny" shot for size comparison but this thing is SO big it needs stepping up to a "two penny" shot? Says it all really doesn't it?!! LOL LOL LOL

Love the paint info Daran, very interesting indeed and you can't get more accurate than that, though I'm sure there will be rivet counters from other forums looking in and disagreeing with it even though it's come from the horses' mouth? WTG mate and well done you for doing the research!

This is going to be an awesome build my friend, watching all the way!! Cool Cool Drool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
delboy271155
#96 Posted : 29 May 2015 02:11:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi,Blink

Think you better start saving up.

When this beauty is finished a £50 note will be more appropriate, cos when you post the final pics you won't see any coin from the distance away you're gonna be to get it in frame.

Just hope you got a long garden or live next to a railway siding.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek )
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Nemesis
#97 Posted : 29 May 2015 14:03:56

The lead ballast is now glued in the rear of the breach and breach fitted. it will balance the barrel nicely.

The hydraulic ram in the kit was terrible, so a modification was needed. I cut the shaft off the pinion and drilled it out to 8mm and then cut a piece of 8mm diameter stainless steel tube to the correct length of the kit part plus 5mm and glued it in the pinion, looks much better and certainly stronger.

The gun support and ram in dry fit.

These push rods are not going to be strong enough to support the gun and barrel so I have ordered some 4mm steel rod to modify them, then I will do the same as the ram supports and fill them.

jase
#98 Posted : 29 May 2015 18:35:55

Just catching up on this and my is she taking shape. interesting paint history to play with tot.

fab stuff keep the pics coming

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Plymouth57
#99 Posted : 29 May 2015 19:31:35

Fantastic work as always Nem and great progress too!Cool Cool Cool
I like the point about the rods not being strong enough to support the gun any more - that's one of the things about up-grading and super-detailing that often gets missed out, sometimes the improvement in one part means even more improving further down the line!
I know that feeling well!Crying

This is really taking shape now, loving it!Cool

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gibbo
#100 Posted : 29 May 2015 19:43:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Nems
Following this with great interest and good to see you pushing the boat out on the money side of things.
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.