Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<4567>
Leopold railway gun Dioramma Options
Nemesis
#101 Posted : 29 May 2015 19:52:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thank you for looking in and the comments everyone. Couldn't resist a sneak peek at the size of this with the trucks on, its huge!!!Blink LOL

Nemesis
#102 Posted : 29 May 2015 21:13:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have made the hydraulic lines for the back of the cylinder out of some spare wire from Friul tracks!!BigGrin BigGrin

Nemesis
#103 Posted : 31 May 2015 18:14:28

Gun support and breach are now finished, cables were fun to do!!!LOL LOL I drilled through the blocks on the top and threaded the wire through, it was easier than trying to make them individually.BigGrin BigGrin

Martyn Ingram
#104 Posted : 31 May 2015 18:21:26

BigGrin Wow that is one BIG model stunning work m8 lovely job ThumpUp

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
ModelMania
#105 Posted : 31 May 2015 19:58:27

Groups:

Nice bit of scratchbuilding Daran. You think that's fiddly, you wanna see some of the scratchbuilt pipes and cables that are going into my Merlin at the moment!! Blink Blink Huh

Keep up the good work mate,loving this build. Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
arpurchase
#106 Posted : 31 May 2015 20:54:16

BigGrin Nicely doneCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Nemesis
#107 Posted : 31 May 2015 23:03:03

So the fun continues with the front and rear trucks. The chassis and running gear are the same, just the top plates are different. That means lots and lots of srings, spring hangers and wheels, and it all moves!!!Blink Blink LOL BigGrin

Nemesis
#108 Posted : 01 June 2015 15:49:40

Well the 4mm stainless steel rod turned up today, so on with the mods on the gun lifting mechanism.BigGrin BigGrin

First thing to do was to cut the kit part and sand the ends flat, then drill a 4mm hole in the ends (very carefully!Crying BigGrin ) for the steel rod to go in. The rod was cut 20mm longer so that 10mm protruded into the kit parts to give a good solid fixing.

I did one at a time so I could use the original kit part to get the correct lenth, then once I was happy, they were secured with lots of super glue!LOL BigGrin

Once I was happy with one side I did the other, also I cut the pivot pins down by 4mm so as the gun could elevate without catching on the chassis sides.

Once the glue was dried, I used car filler to fill the ends around the rod and sanded them flat, also removing any seam lines.

The lifting push rods are now very solid, look much better and are more than capable of supporting the weight of the ally barrel and counter balance.

and as you can see, the shortened pivot pins now allow everything to sit better with no gaps, meaning the whole mechanism is alot more stable and able to carry the gun, breach and cradle.BigGrin BigGrin

One very happy modeler!!LOL LOL Now I can fit the whole assembly into the chassis.BigGrin BigGrin
ModelMania
#109 Posted : 01 June 2015 16:30:24

Groups:

Fabulous work Daran, the Krupp factory would be very complimentary of your engineering skills and I think your enhancements are a vast improvement on the kit parts - WTG my friend, top job!! Drool Cool ThumpUp

I suspect you may have already thought about it Daran and I'm probably trying to "teach granny how to suck eggs" here, but I reckon it would be a cool idea to polish the metal part of the main elevation ram with some micromesh and then seal it with some Johnsons Klear so that it looks more like the real piston on a hydraulic ram? Just a thought maybe as it looks a bit coarse as is?

Brilliant work as always mate, that's my kind of modelling - keep it up!! Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
Nemesis
#110 Posted : 02 June 2015 17:37:32

Hello Kev, yep you got it, a good polish and some Klear!LOL LOL BigGrin

We are now at the stage where I need to prime, so Red Oxide is what I will be using. I hope to achieve the effect of the primer showing in places, as I am sure they would not have spent hour upon hour to get a perfect paint job, it was war and it would have been done enough to cover what would have been seen. So parts of the chassis will still show the red oxide primer while most will then be German Grey, then I will spray the 2 tone over that. Lots to do but should look good. Still some issues to solve in this kit, the gun does not sit square on the chassis. Although it looks ok, its not until the barrel is added you can see it is off the center line. Also the cradle touches the top walkways when you elevate the gun, so I will have to sand some off where it rubs. And even though I shortened the pivot pins, the lifting rod ends touch the chassis, so I will have to trim it where it rubs, all minor things but time consuming.

ModelMania
#111 Posted : 02 June 2015 18:51:41

Groups:

Don't know about you Daran, but I just love the transformation that happens when scratchbuilt details like your home-made hydraulic pipes made from fuse wire get painted in primer like the rest of the plastic bits and end up looking like they were always part of the kit - all that added detail just brings the whole thing to life doesn't it? Great stuff mate, love it!! Drool Love ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
Martyn Ingram
#112 Posted : 02 June 2015 19:04:40

BigGrin Wow stunning work this is a work of art well done Daran ThumpUp

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Nemesis
#113 Posted : 02 June 2015 19:19:53

Thanks for the comments everyone, its getting there, painting is when it starts to come to life. Going to try a different shade of red oxide to make it look patchy and worn, airbrush time!!LOL LOL BigGrin BigGrin
darbyvet
#114 Posted : 02 June 2015 19:39:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

looks amazing.I love the extra details you added
davetwin
#115 Posted : 04 June 2015 21:43:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Had a read through to catch with your build and all I can say is WOW, this thing is massive and looks your dong an amazing job!!

How big is your shelf going to be for displaying this?
stevie_o
#116 Posted : 04 June 2015 21:51:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nemesis
#117 Posted : 22 June 2015 19:11:11

Hello and thanks for looking in and the comments, davetwin, the dio base is going to be about 6 feet long!
Well finding the right base for this dio is being a pain in the bum, I think I will have to resort to scratch building the whole thing, it is not only a base but a shelf as well, as its going to mounted on a wall!!Cursing LOL BigGrin On the plus side, I found the resin parts for the BR-52 I wanted at the MAFVA Nationals at Duxford on Sunday, and an added bonus, my 1:16 T34-85 won an award!! Result!!!BigGrin BigGrin

As you can see, the resin parts have so much more detail than the kit parts!!Drool BigGrin

Plymouth57
#118 Posted : 22 June 2015 21:40:04

Fantastic work again Nem!Cool (Don't 'Put it away!', I'm still waiting to see how you convert it into a .22 live firing monster!BigGrin BigGrin
Kev is right, when that first coat of primer goes on over the scratch builds it all comes together! (Or else we have to grab the sandpaper again!)
A six foot base!!Blink And mine are taking up about half of my workbench! How about a six foot pine shelf board from B&Q? With the ground work on top it could do two jobs in one and all you'd need then are the brackets!BigGrin

Keep up the great work!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
davetwin
#119 Posted : 22 June 2015 23:38:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Those resin parts look really nice, and a 6 foot shelf for the dio Blink Blink thats going to be one hell of a display piece. Congratulations on your award Cool
stevie_o
#120 Posted : 22 June 2015 23:50:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal