Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

16 Pages «<1011121314>»
Malc's Mclaren MP4/4 Options
RM1
#221 Posted : 13 January 2017 14:19:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

ModelMania wrote:
That instrument panel looks superb with the aftermarket decals and the electronic boxes look nicely detailed too?

Nice work as always Malc, keep it up. Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Thanks Kev.
Actually there is no extra detailing on the electronic boxes, that's how it comes. I have since added some gold paint to the connectors for a bit of visual interest on the final model as I intend to display it with the bodywork raised.BigGrin
Malc.
RM1 attached the following image(s):
sen167.jpg
RM1
#222 Posted : 15 January 2017 15:24:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wiring up the electronics was an interesting process. The instructions are confused with references to wires "A,B,C & D " but with the wires identified in an earlier stage as 1,2 & 3.Confused Fortunately the official build diary clarifies what goes where.BigGrin
The images in the issue 20 manual are also too small and not that clear wrt the runs of the cables.
I've not used the "cable tie tape" but opted for PE cable bands on the throttle cable and ties around the bundles on the telemetry side.
sen168.jpg
sen169.jpg
sen170.jpg
RM1
#223 Posted : 15 January 2017 15:26:36

The cockpit also coming on nicely.
sen171.jpg
sen172.jpg
sen173.jpg
Spal
#224 Posted : 15 January 2017 15:51:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work Malc, certainly a stunning looking build Cool

Al
Nemesis
#225 Posted : 15 January 2017 16:47:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work Malc, it looks fantastic!BigGrin
RM1
#226 Posted : 16 January 2017 15:18:19

Thanks guys. getting near the end of this build now.
Malc.
ModelMania
#227 Posted : 17 January 2017 13:19:50

Groups:

Lovely work as always Malc, nice looking cockpit with the carbon decals and the electronic boxes and associated cabling look very well modelled.

Good stuff mate, keep up the good work. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
DaveSea
#228 Posted : 21 January 2017 06:06:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Absolutely superb build, Malc, one of the best on this site! Love all the extra details, time and creativity you put into it.

I signed up for this kit a couple of years back but got carried away with the three bikes and my Lambo Countach build so suspended the subscription. As I am now 1-2 months away from completion of three of my builds, I am seriously thinking about reinstating this subscription. Your build has really inspired me!

BTW, I noticed a fingerprint smudge on one of the radiators, looks like from superglue vapor. I found out while building the Lambo kit that an easy way to get rid of superglue vapor smudges is to dip a cotton swab into acetone (e.g. nail polish remover) and lightly go over it. Removes the smudge right away without damaging the underlying paint layer. Forgive me if I am being presumptuous, maybe you've already cleaned it up BigGrin
Completed Building Walter Wolf's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Honda CB750.
Planning to Build Easy Rider Bike, Valentino Rossi's Yamaha YZR-M1
RM1
#229 Posted : 21 January 2017 06:16:35

DaveSea wrote:
Absolutely superb build, Malc, one of the best on this site! Love all the extra details, time and creativity you put into it.

I signed up for this kit a couple of years back but got carried away with the three bikes and my Lambo Countach build so suspended the subscription. As I am now 1-2 months away from completion of three of my builds, I am seriously thinking about reinstating this subscription. Your build has really inspired me!

BTW, I noticed a fingerprint smudge on one of the radiators, looks like from superglue vapor. I found out while building the Lambo kit that an easy way to get rid of superglue vapor smudges is to dip a cotton swab into acetone (e.g. nail polish remover) and lightly go over it. Removes the smudge right away without damaging the underlying paint layer. Forgive me if I am being presumptuous, maybe you've already cleaned it up BigGrin

Hi Dave and thanks for the kind comments.
Good spot with the fingerprint. ! I only noticed it when I put the picture up. It's amazing how these things sometimes don't get noticed until a close up is taken.
Luckily .... it's only dust that's revealed the print and it wiped off easily. BigGrin
Great tip on removing vapour smudges, I didn't know that. Many thanks and please don't feel presumptuous about mentioning a snag. I'm always keen to learn.
Cheers Malc.
RM1
#230 Posted : 21 January 2017 12:39:55

Time to have a look at the body shell.BigGrin Nice large moulded pieces which go together quite well.
sen174.jpg
RM1
#231 Posted : 21 January 2017 12:43:47

I decided not to use the "sticker" as supplied for the black stripe along the base edge of the shell. After a bit of masking I sprayed it with Semi-Gloss black.
sen175.jpg
RM1
#232 Posted : 21 January 2017 12:46:35

sen176.jpg
sen177.jpg
RM1
#233 Posted : 22 January 2017 15:15:25

Most of the sub assemblies are now done and everything's ready for the final fitting togetherBigGrin
sen178.jpg
sen179.jpg
sen180.jpg
RM1
#234 Posted : 22 January 2017 15:19:46

First step is the engine and gearbox.
The connecting up of hoses is a bit of a challenge but seemed to work out ok.BigGrin
sen181.jpg
sen182.jpg
Spal
#235 Posted : 22 January 2017 19:54:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking stunning Malc ThumpUp well done.

Al
RM1
#236 Posted : 29 January 2017 12:17:06

The engine/gearbox assembly is now attached to the monocoque. There is a socket head screw (screw "f") which provides quite a good connection between the two parts. The supplied Allen key works ok to tighten this but I recommend a "ball" ended one make the process a little easier.
sen183.jpg
sen184.jpg
RM1
#237 Posted : 29 January 2017 12:20:37

The underpan is now in place. Really starting to look goodCool
I haven't attached the Plenum yet which I find makes working with the wiring a bit easier.
sen185.jpg
sen186.jpg
RM1
#238 Posted : 03 February 2017 15:25:31

I've got most of the cabling under control now. The twin antennas looked a little plain so I've added cables and some colour.BigGrin
sen187.jpg
sen188.jpg
sen189.jpg
RM1
#239 Posted : 03 February 2017 15:34:25

There are a couple of details that I'm going to add to the completed chassis.
Firstly locking wires on the brake disc bolts ( wire cut to length and glued in place ). paint stripes and temperature indicators.
sen190.jpg
RM1
#240 Posted : 03 February 2017 15:40:31

The battery has one of it's connections standing vertically with no cable so I've added a cable and connector more or less as it appears in photos of the real thing.
sen191.jpg