Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
"The Last Stand" diorama Options
michu
#1 Posted : 09 February 2015 13:14:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This is my Build of the Year 2015 entry.

I've been thinking whether or not I should enter the Build of the Year competition as I'm a total newbie compared to most people here. But then I thought... why not? I'm not looking to win this thing anyway, but to get a little bit of motivation for pushing myself into the new areas, learn new techniques, and have a lot of fun along the way. The idea for this diorama came to me totally out of the blue, and immediately I knew: this is going to be my build of the year.

So, a let's make the teaser a bit longer - a checklist.

- Has to be fun, I have some serious builds along the way - so this one has to be something totally different.
- Something new for me: a diorama.
- Something new for me: heavy weathering.
- Something new for me: a bit of scratch-building.
- Something new for me: combining off-the-shelf model with aftermarket details and my own modifications.
- Something new for me: a bit of kit-bashing.
- Something new for me: figures and figure painting.
- Has to be related to motoring.
- Has to have some barbed wire involved (ok, I came up with this one after coming up with the idea).

Ladies and gentlemen... I present... A London Bus.
Heavily modified for the task.
With its crew making their last stand on a London Street against zombies.

What will make it interesting: Lots of new stuff for me in it, and I hope something different for anyone who would like to follow the build diary.

What will make it challenging: Lots of new stuff for me. Scale: The London Bus is 1:24, it seems to be hard to find figurines and diorama-building stuff in that scale. I want to have a Red Phone Box in a diorama, but it's not available in that scale at all - so will need to be scratch-built. Then weathered as burn out.

I have lots of ideas for this build, bookmarked about 30 links for items to buy, and will reveal more of details as I go. Hope someone will like it - but if not, I'm still going to enjoy it :)

Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jase
#2 Posted : 09 February 2015 13:56:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I will be interested to see your plan, and subsiquent build

jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#3 Posted : 09 February 2015 14:37:21

Groups:

Master Box have a 1/35 Zombie kit.
http://www.emodels.co.uk...stic-model-figures.html

Great to have a newbie into the mix, look forward to seeing your build Cool
michu
#4 Posted : 09 February 2015 14:51:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tomick wrote:
[size=6]Master Box have a 1/35 Zombie kit.
http://www.emodels.co.uk...stic-model-figures.html[/size]

Yep, I've seen it... Just wondering if that would work well with the scale, the centerpiece bus 1/24 - in this scale a person is about 3" high, but in 1/35 it's just 2". I think I will try to make zombies of some regular people figures in 1/24... pale complexion, some dirt and gore, it might come out well.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

stevie_o
#5 Posted : 09 February 2015 15:09:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sounds goodBigGrin The scale difference is too great to have them mixed, shame there is no bus in 1/35 scale. I think Airfix do a 1/32 1910 bus thoughBigGrin

I have a bag of 1/24 scale figures you can have if you need them, men women and childrenLaugh

Steve
michu
#6 Posted : 09 February 2015 15:17:26

stevie_o wrote:
The scale difference is too great to have them mixed, shame there is no bus in 1/35 scale. I think Airfix do a 1/32 1910 bus thoughBigGrin

The Airfix omnibus looks like nice, but I'd have to go with a steampunk zombie theme... don't think I'd pull that one off! I will stick with modified Revell Routemaster. The double deck gives a lot of defence possibilities ;)

stevie_o wrote:
I have a bag of 1/24 scale figures you can have if you need them, men women and childrenLaugh

Oh, that's very nice of you. Will PM you in a moment. Thanks!

Nemesis
#7 Posted : 09 February 2015 15:18:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the build off!! This should be interesting, something completely different!!LOL BigGrin Good man, cant wait to see this diary!!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
michu
#8 Posted : 09 February 2015 15:27:40

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys!

I'm going to spend next few days planning the build and diorama layout, meanwhile I started ordering stuff. Revell's Routemaster should be delivered tomorrow, this morning I ordered some photo etched detail kits from http://www.czechtruckmodel.com/, taken measurements of the Red Phone Box for a scratch build, and did a lengthy browsing & bookmarking session on eBay to see what's out there. Found a lovely barbed wire! :D

stevie_o
#9 Posted : 09 February 2015 16:02:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi
I supplied petpole with his figures - http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=6539

They are unpainted and I have standing and sitting. They are a nice hard plastic and can be chopped up easily as I've used them in my "Jaws" dio's. I will post a pic of the figures here if you don't mind and you can see if they will suit.

Steve
davetwin
#10 Posted : 09 February 2015 17:43:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great to have another new entry and what a great idea.

This is going to a great year for builds in this forum
stevie_o
#11 Posted : 09 February 2015 17:58:25

michu
#12 Posted : 09 February 2015 18:33:33

Thank you Stevie again, I sent you a PM with my details. Love some of them!

Spal
#13 Posted : 09 February 2015 21:19:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It may be worth looking at some of the model railway stuff in G scale which i think is about 1/24 scale.

Al
michu
#14 Posted : 09 February 2015 21:22:00

Spal wrote:
It may be worth looking at some of the model railway stuff in G scale which i think is about 1/24 scale.

Yep, I already had a look. According to Wikipedia it's 1/22.5 - close enough.
Thanks!

arpurchase
#15 Posted : 09 February 2015 22:51:51

BigGrin Sounds like a plan good luck with the buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Warthog
#16 Posted : 09 February 2015 22:53:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Now this should be interesting! My son just loves Zombies. Good luck with the build and your entry michu Cool

Spencer
Gandale
#17 Posted : 09 February 2015 23:08:54

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is going to be fun build to follow, good luck with it....Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing how it all turns out....

Regards

Alan
michu
#18 Posted : 11 February 2015 00:32:50

Just a small update, Routemaster arrived today, what a beautiful (and large) kit it is! The photo etched parts should take about a week to arrive. I'm still thinking how to fit all that together on a diorama, but I'm also planning to start a scratch-build of Red Phone Box tomorrow or the day after.

michu
#19 Posted : 26 February 2015 21:31:07

The best plans sometimes do not pan out, and the last weeks were very busy for me - so I haven't managed to start working on my diorama until today. But now I'm off for a good start, and below is my rough design of how the whole thing will look like.

So, the whole thing will be huge - 45cm x 32cm, mostly due to Routemaster size. The whole scene will play out on a typical English little town street, where the bus smashed into a brick wall, flattening some hedge on its way. Behind the hedge and some thujas you will be able to see a small glimpse of the mayhem of last days - an overturned garden chair (or two), etc. On the street corner a burnt-out red phone box. Zombies everywhere.

I have lots of ideas for small details in my mind, but for now I'll keep them for myself :-)

Now time to take over the kitchen and start working on the Routemaster.

Tomick
#20 Posted : 21 April 2015 12:19:53

Groups:

Any further forward on this?