Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
DaDokta´s U-96 Options
DaDokta
#41 Posted : 05 October 2015 18:46:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thanks for the nice comments!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
riff-raff
#42 Posted : 08 October 2015 16:57:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very patient work which has resulted in a very nice finish on the vents etc, you'll be suprised how fast this sub gets big. It soon becomes a beggar to handle BigGrin BigGrin
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

Building:HMS Surprisel. Hatchette U96. Soleil Royal.
pemberg
#43 Posted : 09 October 2015 15:50:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work Walter, really starting to look the part now.
Graeme
DaDokta
#44 Posted : 20 October 2015 09:23:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks guys,

actually i think i don`t deserve the praise.

Because, what you can`t see on the pics very well, my U-96 turnes out to be a "banana-boat"!
Although i had it rested in the jig!
The keel seems almost straight, but when i removed the hull from the stand and turned it over, there was some serious curve on the deck-side.
So there must be some twist in the middle Frames.

Don`t know how this could happen, as i glued the parts on a absolutely plane surface and then put it in the jig.

Well, i will have to live with it and hope, it won`t be that visible once the Tower is mounted and you can`t see in a straight line from the bow to the Stern.

Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
daffy09
#45 Posted : 20 October 2015 14:29:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for your feedback on my build Walter. Those little comments mean a lot.
Anyway, to your problem. I don't know if what I'm going to suggest will work on your build because I don't know how severe the warping is.
I had a 'straight' boat whilst I was building the two halves, but when I glued them together, I found to my dismay that a bend had developed at the stern and the bow (see my earlier posts). Like you I had used a 'jig' throughout so I couldn't figure out how it had got there.
A thought crossed my mind that just maybe it was the way I had assembled the two halves.
By following the instructions in the magazine, the frames were glued together (back to back) in various stages. What I wondered was - 'did the glue have an effect on the type of wood being used and was it 'soaking' into the mdf at varying rates because of the way the magazine told us to build it (thus, the probability of inducing a warping of the mdf)'
What I did was to carefully separate the two halves, with great difficulty I might add, laid them on a plank that I knew to be absolutely flat, and let them 'air-dry' overnight.
The next day, I assembled the two halves, making sure that I applied an even amount of glue across the entire length of the hull in one step, mated the two sides (almost running out of clamps in the process), re-fitted the bolts, this time starting at the centre and working out to each end of the hull alternately, replaced the hull in the 'jig' and the following day the warping had all but disappeared, leaving me with a 'straight' boat again.
I don't know if that will work for you Walter, but hope this has helped you out.
happy building
David
arpurchase
#46 Posted : 20 October 2015 21:35:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Walter

Sorry to hear about your misshap but all may not be lost if it sits straight in the jig but only bends when removed then I think this is more to do with the MDF and not your skills.
You could do as David has done with his build to rectify the bend but you could also try keeping the model in the jig and planking as much as possible before removing it from the jig.
Firstly put the model back in the jig and then measure between each of the formers on both side if the hull is straight they should be the same for both sides then you can start planking you can planking.
The planking will need to be done by adding 2 rows on one side then adding the same two rows if possible on the other side working your way down or up the hull which ever is easyer. The planks should pull everything straight if kept in the jig until fully dry that should just leave the minimum amount of planking left for when it is removed from the jig.
Whatever way you choose to use it should straighten her out ok, best of luck with it.

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#47 Posted : 21 October 2015 00:35:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Walter, really sorry to hear about your warping problem and hope you can get the problem sorted out. Good luck with it....

Regards

Alan
DaDokta
#48 Posted : 21 October 2015 08:53:56

Thanks for all your tips!

But i´m afraid the damage is done, i already tried to save the day with the planking, but that didn`t help very much.

I will have to live with it. Actually my wife said, without me mentioning it, she wouldn`t have noticed.

After all this my first model of such enormous lenght - next time i`ll be wiser.

I´ll provide some pics soon.

Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
DaDokta
#49 Posted : 24 October 2015 22:38:02

As promised here are my latest pics:
Here you can see the warping without the removeable section:

That`s where i am at with the planking - now waiting for the side parts of the removeable section:
DaDokta attached the following image(s):
2016-02-13_121011554_786AB_iOS.jpg
IMG_6227.JPG
IMG_6230.JPG
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
daffy09
#50 Posted : 24 October 2015 22:53:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work on the planking Walter. It's really taking shape now and it must feel very satisfying to get to this stage.
The problem you had with the warping doesn't look to severe at all in the photos ( it's very hard to spot and interesting to see that it's in the same place as it was on my build.), and hopefully your work on the planking has gone a long way to straightening her out. I feel sure that when the rest of the planking is on, you will have a much stronger hull and it will have cured the problem.
Happy building
David
TIMBERWOLF
#51 Posted : 24 October 2015 23:10:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

that is a verry good looking submarine , walter.

I also want to build her , but he is not for sale outside de u.k and germany.

the same as de lancaster and U 96. the netherlands is left out of many nice builds.

grt timberwolf

Gandale
#52 Posted : 25 October 2015 00:49:15

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's looking fab Walter and to be honest, I don't think I would have noticed the warping if you hadn't pointed it out... still think she will turn out to be a fabulous build when done.... Cool Cool ...Keep the pics coming...

Regards

Alan
DaDokta
#53 Posted : 25 October 2015 14:34:20

Thanks for your nice comments, guys!

@Tiberwolf: Sorry to hear, you can`t purchase this build in the netherlands!

I spent some time today with sanding and a little bit of filling - to get a smooth surface for the second planking.
I tried my new delta-sanding-machine - but that didn`t work very well - so i went back to manual sanding.

As i was full of sanding dust already, i went on to sand the starboard-side of my AKAGI-hull. Here the delta-sander did a good job!

I wish you all a nice sunday,
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
DaDokta
#54 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:31:09

Hi guys!

It`s been a while since i lost a little bit of interest in this build because of the warped hull. i was really considering quitting as i hated myself for not being able to achieve a straight hull!

But as i already have invested many hours of building i wanted to try to improve the look of the hull!

after sending some prayers i took a saw and just cut the hull straight to the middle-frames from both sides at the site of the strongest bending - hoping the whole thing wouldn`t break.

I then put some wedges on one side, bending the hull to the other side. The gap on the wider side i filled with epoxy-glue, the other side i tried to glue with PVA-Glue (sitting about an hour and holding everthing in place!).

And this the result of my work. I can`t say how pleased and happy i am with the result as now i have new motivation to proceed with the build

[size=8]I´m very happy right now as this has been bothering me for some week now!!!!

Thanks for looking in!!!!

DaDokta attached the following image(s):
2016-02-13_121036792_48F7F_iOS.jpg
2016-02-13_122951955_64E27_iOS.jpg
2016-02-13_123000643_291FE_iOS.jpg
2016-02-13_132031304_844AE_iOS.jpg
2016-02-13_150616518_EBDAE_iOS.jpg
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
birdaj2
#55 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:39:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Walter

It takes a brave modeller to attempt what you have but your skills have paid off very well.

I can appreciate how you felt about this problem and while you could have just left it very well done in getting it corrected.

Hope the rest of the build goes well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#56 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:44:12

BigGrin A good resolution to your problem and well doneCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

daffy09
#57 Posted : 14 February 2016 01:25:56

Well done Walter. You are a braver man than me, that was quite a piece of surgery, but the results have paid off with a lovely straight hull.
Happy building
David
Martyn Ingram
#58 Posted : 14 February 2016 09:12:16

BigGrin Wow what a brilliant fix well done Walter Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
tf64
#59 Posted : 14 February 2016 10:04:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Walter,
Very impress, a challenge but well thought out.
Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

tigerace
#60 Posted : 14 February 2016 11:44:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well done Walter good to see the end results a lovely straight hull ThumpUp ThumpUp regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!