Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Paul's Build Options
Paul
#1 Posted : 03 October 2010 10:10:32

Groups: Registered

Location: Waterlooville, Portsmouth. The home of HMS Victory.
At last, thanks to jonny7england I can now hopefully show you my build. I am building her as she stands in Portsmouth today. I am not doing the cut away section but I am aiming to add as much detail as possible. I will probably do a separate diorama with some of the crew and canon from the cut away section.

I live in a sheltered flat within a large countryside lodge so she will be far too big to stay with me. My plan is to present her to the lodge for display in their lounge. At present the residents get a fortnightly newsletter on the history of the ship and progress photos of the build.

Here's a few photos of the build so far.

Caronade
12 pounder
12 pounder1
Water Barrels
The Bow
The Blunt End
Hope you like it so far.
riff-raff
#2 Posted : 03 October 2010 11:14:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Water barrels & Blunt end links don't work mate
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

Building:HMS Surprisel. Hatchette U96. Soleil Royal.
Paul
#3 Posted : 03 October 2010 11:48:21

Try it now Riff Raff.
riff-raff
#4 Posted : 03 October 2010 14:01:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

All work now Paul & looking very good mate.

What finish did you use on the water barrels? look great
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

Building:HMS Surprisel. Hatchette U96. Soleil Royal.
Paul
#5 Posted : 03 October 2010 15:40:57

Took some thought that. Anyway I used the Dremmel to cut into the ends of 'em, then with a sharp pencil drew the lines to imitate the strakes. I watered down some walnut brown paint to paint the barrels over the strakes and finally used my 1mm tape blackened with magic marker and stuck it on.

1mm masking tape can be bought on Ebay for £1.90 + £1.00 postage.

1mm Masking Tape (click here)

Hope this helps.
jonny7england
#6 Posted : 03 October 2010 15:46:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

All looking brilliant Paul...like the barrels..they look terrific...
ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Mac
#7 Posted : 03 October 2010 20:34:25

looking good Paul BigGrin
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!

tf5600
#8 Posted : 03 October 2010 22:28:48

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice work Paul, very impressed , keep it up mate
jase
#9 Posted : 03 October 2010 23:32:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

looking real good. love the detail on the barrels and the hull planking looks real smooth top jobRazz Smile
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Paul
#10 Posted : 10 October 2010 10:40:26

All lower gun ports are now in. Over 3 days work to complete to satisfaction. So the planking continues......

I had a couple of problems with cutting the ports with some of the the glued planks popping when the knife passed through the joint. This was easily rectified by gently lifting the offending plank and dribbling a spot of super glue along the edge with a cocktail stick. I used 15 blades on cutting ports and I used my needle files to square them off. The white spots inside the ports are small scratches on the black paint, I will touch these up later.
jonny7england
#11 Posted : 10 October 2010 10:50:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Paul, I have not got as far as you yet, had some issue with where one or two of the planks vary in width, but spotting that Colin had the same problem and his suggestion of rectifying it, I will get back into planking today...Keep the pictures coming mate...
ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Paul
#12 Posted : 10 October 2010 11:09:49

Thanks John. I can't do anything spectacular like magpie does 'cos of hand problems. I know you have limited mobility also. My problem is if I put too much pressure on my fingers they dislocate. So with a lot of cussin' I put 'em back in and continue. I simply refuse to be beaten. By hook or crook I will finish this build to the best of my ability. I'll keep the pics coming and you lot can keep giggling!LOL LOL LOL
jonny7england
#13 Posted : 10 October 2010 11:22:57

That's the ticket Paul, with us,no pain, no gain really does mean what it says mate...Laugh
yorkieboy1
#14 Posted : 10 October 2010 12:17:08

nothing to giggle about Paul you have done a superb job its a credit to you especially with your problem hands I have put a few piccys up of my build my problem is I am strapped in a corset and it gets very un comfortable but if i dont wear it I,m in serious trouble with my intestine popping out but thats another story Brilliant work paul keep up the good work Peter
benny
#15 Posted : 10 October 2010 12:32:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Paul wrote:
Thanks John. I can't do anything spectacular like magpie does 'cos of hand problems. I know you have limited mobility also. My problem is if I put too much pressure on my fingers they dislocate. So with a lot of cussin' I put 'em back in and continue. I simply refuse to be beaten. By hook or crook I will finish this build to the best of my ability. I'll keep the pics coming and you lot can keep giggling!LOL LOL LOL

i can assure you paul nobodies giggling it looks great well done
cheers benny
Lonestar Spirit
#16 Posted : 10 October 2010 12:37:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I'm giggling like mad LOL LOL LOL Look how clean his desk is!!!! mine was like that, but only on the day it was installed

Good work mate, keep it up, you should be proud of what you have achieved so far!!!
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
Jack Sparrow
#17 Posted : 10 October 2010 13:16:37

Groups:

Looking really good!! BigGrin
magpie1832
#18 Posted : 10 October 2010 13:25:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks well m8, keep it up.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

amipal
#19 Posted : 10 October 2010 13:33:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Amazing work Paul! Cool I hope I can get as smooth planking as you have.
karl1113
#20 Posted : 10 October 2010 14:02:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

paul you are an inspiration to us all,your work is 1st.class and up with the best of them,keep them picies coming.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/