Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Would you trust a 3D Printed jet engine? Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 26 February 2015 10:25:01

Groups:

Researchers have created the world’s first 3D-printed jet engine..

http://www.dailymail.co....bus-shown-interest.html
ModelMania
#2 Posted : 26 February 2015 11:29:03

Groups:

Well it was only a matter of time and it certainly seems like the world is now rapidly moving into a new era with this sort of innovation? I'm not sure about the structural integrity of thousands of thin layers being welded together though? To my mind that could mean thousands of tiny fractures on a molecular level if the welding process isn't perfect every time?!

What a scary thought!? Blink Scared

On a lighter note - does this mean that Boeing and Airbus are going to soon be subscribing to the DeAgostini 3D Printer? What a coup for DeAg that would be!! LOL Laugh LOL Laugh LOL

Kev BigGrin
jase
#3 Posted : 26 February 2015 13:20:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

ModelMania wrote:
Well it was only a matter of time and it certainly seems like the world is now rapidly moving into a new era with this sort of innovation? I'm not sure about the structural integrity of thousands of thin layers being welded together though? To my mind that could mean thousands of tiny fractures on a molecular level if the welding process isn't perfect every time?!

What a scary thought!? Blink Scared

On a lighter note - does this mean that Boeing and Airbus are going to soon be subscribing to the DeAgostini 3D Printer? What a coup for DeAg that would be!! LOL Laugh LOL Laugh LOL

Kev BigGrin

well as sombody that works in the steel industry, engineering and has worked for an aircraft manufacturer - I would prefer my chances with the 3D printer!!!!!! LOL LOL
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
kenjara
#4 Posted : 26 February 2015 13:24:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Everytime the subject of automation in passenger air transport is brought up people say its scary.

When you think of it though would you rather have an emotionless machine made for the purpose of the job doing the flying / building of the parts or a human which can be affected by all sort of variables.

I always come to the same conclusion that there are more variables in how a human can act to how an automated process would.

Certainly interesting to see how the trust issues are resolved here :)
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/