Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

removing microsol stains Options
zuff
#1 Posted : 03 March 2015 18:12:27

Groups: Registered

Hi all,
any one got tips for removing dried microsol marks from the bodywork?
I've tried gentle agitation with warm soapy water and a cotton bud. No good.
Ive tried a sol-soaked cotton bud. No good.

Ta
Warthog
#2 Posted : 03 March 2015 18:41:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi Zuff. Been a long time and things must be going ok with your builds as we don't see much of you on here! Be great to see how your getting along with some of them.. I would love to see how your M23 is coming along. Cool

Anyway...
Not a tip for removing but a tip to prevent it from happening again is to use distilled water. Also make sure you are applying it correctly (sol then set) and the surface is completely free from any dirt/dust and fingerprints etc.

Also try going over the whole area rather than just the decal with the Microset.

Spencer

zuff
#3 Posted : 04 March 2015 09:02:48

Ah, of course. Its not the microsol but the water I use to soak the decal. So its a limescale. Thank you. I shall try gentle application of a limescale remover.
zuff
#4 Posted : 04 March 2015 23:23:14

Hi Spencer. I used a very high tech, very expensive specially produced scale remover….a 39p lemon from tescos. A gentle rub with a cotton bud soaked in freshly squeezed juice did the trick.
Silly of me not to realise it was the decal soaking water not the micro products. Thanks for putting me on the right track!
Now when DeAg get around to sending me the left hand lower cowl (the great issue 73/74 c*ck up!) I might just get around to completing the build! Have resorted to putting the decals on for something to do whilst I wait for their third attempt to get the correct part to me!! It will all come together with a rush when the part arrives.
Tomick
#5 Posted : 04 March 2015 23:29:35

Groups:

How's your 1/8 Entex M23 build coming along?
Warthog
#6 Posted : 05 March 2015 00:09:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

zuff wrote:
Hi Spencer. I used a very high tech, very expensive specially produced scale remover….a 39p lemon from tescos. A gentle rub with a cotton bud soaked in freshly squeezed juice did the trick.
Silly of me not to realise it was the decal soaking water not the micro products. Thanks for putting me on the right track!
Now when DeAg get around to sending me the left hand lower cowl (the great issue 73/74 c*ck up!) I might just get around to completing the build! Have resorted to putting the decals on for something to do whilst I wait for their third attempt to get the correct part to me!! It will all come together with a rush when the part arrives.

Good to see its sorted Zuff and Modelspace has come to the rescue again BigGrin

Spencer
zuff
#7 Posted : 05 March 2015 19:23:29

Tomick wrote:
How's your 1/8 Entex M23 build coming along?

Hi Tomick, it's coming along steadily. I am having continual mini-disasters that are testing my patience but this is a long term project. I'd say I am 70% there. Photos are on my thread in f1m forum.
Tomick
#8 Posted : 05 March 2015 20:37:32

Groups:

Wonder if the moulds still exist for an updated re-release by another manufacturer
zuff
#9 Posted : 06 March 2015 14:56:34

This is one of those internet legends. As far as I know, when Revell bought the remains of Entex in the early 80's, the moulds for the M23 were missing and have never resurfaced. Apparently this is not a rare phenomenon!
scottymack
#10 Posted : 22 March 2015 22:24:39

Warthog wrote:

Not a tip for removing but a tip to prevent it from happening again is to use distilled water.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of that.
Clivej
#11 Posted : 30 May 2015 05:54:10

Hi guys,
It's been a long time since I've been here, I completed the mclaren and it's great, did a few enhancements, I will try to post . Regarding the micro sol stains, I was able to completely removing these by polishing the entire model with auto polish.a little goes a long, can't remember if it on or two applications , but it worked for me, it even removed a small spot left behind after dab of plastic welder spilled onto the front wing. It will not hurt your model the worst it can do is give your car a brilliant shine.
Clive