Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Schnozzle's Virginia Schooner build Options
Schnozzle
#1 Posted : 14 March 2015 12:38:50

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered

At last, I am embarking on my first build, the Artesania Latina Virginia Schooner kit.

As a novice modeller, I will no doubt be asking lots of questions of the more experienced folk on here, so I'll start as I mean to go on.

I have just modified frame 10 by removing the top edge. What isn't so clear in the instructions or pictures, is do I remove the top edge of frame 11, the deck beam for the curve?

I haven't glued it on yet, so haven't started to shape the curve.

My instinct is to remove the top edge to give a smooth edge, but I'm hoping someone could let me know what they did at this part (I'm looking at you, Karl).

I'll pop some pics up later to show my progress.
Gandale
#2 Posted : 14 March 2015 15:51:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi, really would be helpful if you could give us some pics of the area that is causing you concern or doubt. Pics really do help us to see the problem and enables us to give you the best possible advice, it is far safer than us second guessing a solution for you.... Cool Cool .. Please help us to help you...

Best regards

Alan
Schnozzle
#3 Posted : 14 March 2015 16:11:38

Gandale wrote:
Hi, really would be helpful if you could give us some pics of the area that is causing you concern or doubt. Pics really do help us to see the problem and enables us to give you the best possible advice, it is far safer than us second guessing a solution for you.... Cool Cool .. Please help us to help you...

Best regards

Alan

Hi Alan, the part I'm looking at is actually pictured on the advertisement for the model, at the "Look Inside" section items 2,3 & 4.

http://www.model-space.c...-virginia-schooner.html

Gandale
#4 Posted : 14 March 2015 23:44:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi, have had a look at the instructions and from what I see you need to do the same to the top edge on part 11 as you did with part 10. Needs to be level with the top of the keel....

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan
Schnozzle
#5 Posted : 15 March 2015 02:08:20

Gandale wrote:
Hi, have had a look at the instructions and from what I see you need to do the same to the top edge on part 11 as you did with part 10. Needs to be level with the top of the keel....

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan

Yip, that was my opinion too.

I'm sure the folk who have built this earlier will have done the same.

Onwards and upwards!
Schnozzle
#6 Posted : 15 March 2015 21:10:25

Being new to this hobby, I decided to make a toolcase and storage system for my bits and pieces. I started by getting a set of storage drawers, built a frame around it.
I then put 4 doors on, which I will hang my tools on as and when I buy them.
Here's how I have got on so far...

Schnozzle
#7 Posted : 15 March 2015 21:15:49

When the kit arrived, I sorted out the parts and put them into the storage drawers.
I numbered each drawer with the number of the part inside.

A quite practice fit of the frames, then I set about trimming frame 10 and trimming and shaping frame 11 for the curved tail.

With the tail shaped, I fitted it and now I'm waiting for the glue to set.

Next will be sorting the deck and planking it, I think.
But that's for another day!!!
Gandale
#8 Posted : 16 March 2015 00:25:55

Nice work, pleased to see you got the frame 10 and 11 problem sorted out.... Cool Cool .. Will be following...

Regards

Alan
Schnozzle
#9 Posted : 18 March 2015 00:09:54

Gandale wrote:
Nice work, pleased to see you got the frame 10 and 11 problem sorted out.... Cool Cool .. Will be following...

Regards

Alan

Cheers Alan.

Just waiting for a few tools to arrive and I'll be flying along!
Martyn Ingram
#10 Posted : 18 March 2015 11:49:22

BigGrin Hi Schnozzle welcome to forum BigGrin The Virginia is a good starter build I got this model as a pressy a few years ago and loved building it ThumpUp Just take your time and it will look stunning Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Schnozzle
#11 Posted : 07 April 2015 23:10:27

After a small break, I'm starting the planking.
It looks easy when looking at other folks pictures, but it isn't! BigGrin

I'm not glueing the planks yet. I'm planning to pin them and go to the next to make sure if there's a problem, I can unpin and hopefully fix it.

Anyhoo, when I'm far enough forward, I'll post some more pics!
oledad
#12 Posted : 03 February 2019 21:41:09

Hi Schnozel. Glad to find your build Diary for Va Schooner as I am jus getting the kit. Has not come yet but I scanned the build from MS and really excited to get started and add to this forum build. Have you got a paint scheme yet? Looking for colors I will need. I know to get clear varnish and water based acrylic paints, That is a great looking vise. What type-name is it and where can I get one? What type and name glue do you use? I have tite-bond and Zap. I am only getting my kit on a monthly pay basis so not sure how everything will come in or what parts. Wanted to make sure I would like the kit as I started a Shipways Va Schooner and thought the parts were cheap and too fragile. I have found MS kits much than most commercial build kits you get. Still building Vic Cross Section. Looking forward to working with you.BigGrin Oledad (Page)
oledad
#13 Posted : 03 February 2019 22:09:15

Hey, Schnozel why could we not use thin planking to the deck rather than penciling in lines, unless deck planking may throw dimensions of bulwrks or something else later. By using planks we could be sure our lines are straight. Just a thought.Cool
Page
ian smith
#14 Posted : 04 February 2019 22:55:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cool Look forward to seeing your progressBigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.