Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Calling all US Millennium Falcon builders Options
darbyvet
#1 Posted : 16 March 2015 21:56:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

SO as we are all now starting to receive our first parts of the Falcon I would like to start a discussion about what you are looking forward to with the model and what your plans are.

Lets keep it fun.I don't want to get bogged down in arguing over whether it has the same number of rivets as the original.Lets focus on what we are going to do with the kit.

Carl
LrdSatyr8
#2 Posted : 16 March 2015 22:00:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Well personally I'm gonna build it and probably my OCD will kick in and I'll end up detailing it until my fingers fall off and I can't do anything more to it! But that's just me! :)
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 16 March 2015 22:15:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have been looking at all the excellent UK builds and this is my plan.

I will leave the cockpit alone since it looks great.

I also plan on adding detail to the lounge area, hopefully with some lighting too once I see how much room there is inside the hull.

So what are your plans?

Carl

LrdSatyr8
#4 Posted : 17 March 2015 12:57:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I plan to totally detail this puppy out, including the interior. Gonna do my best to try and make it look as much like the movie as possible, including lights and extras. Have been thinking of adding fiber optics in a few areas (like the front console and the interior console), then maybe, add some figures to the scene. Since this is the ESB version, maybe the whole scene of them escaping the Cloud City and have 3PO standing in the hallway waiving his leg around while R2 is trying to reingage the hyperdrive. Not sure yet... still alot of planning and thinking to do and have plenty of time to do it in so I'm in no rush and haven't set anything in stone yet, but am thinking that would be a pretty cool scene.
davetwin
#5 Posted : 17 March 2015 13:41:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am pretty new to moddelling having only just finished my first model, a 1/350 Yamato with full photo etch, after spending a year building it.

I have now been researching and stocking up on fibre optic cables, currently 40m each of 0.25mm, 0.5mm, 0.75mm and 1mm and will also be getting some 3mm. These I plan to use on my DeAg Falcon as well as my Finemolds Falcon that I have just started building.

I am also in the process of trying, very badly, to learn Arduino to use in my builds.

The ideas I have at the moment, is to light the engineering console and the back of the seats in the holds with fibres, some static and some flashing. Depending on how I get one this might stretch to the cockpit console as well. Obviously this could all fail yet but I won't know until I try BigGrin
experten
#6 Posted : 17 March 2015 19:57:52

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

One of mine I'll be building OOB, and the other as the Stellar Envoy. (see my build log)

There is a pretty cool video on YouTube of the ramp drop in action. This is gonna be one COOL model!
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
MikeL
#7 Posted : 17 March 2015 23:15:36

I've been building models for 50 years and up until now my models have been primarily static with some incandescent lighting, and more recently, sound. With the Millennium Falcon, I'd like to push my modeling skills into the 21st Century. I've purchased and Arduino Leonardo starter kit which comes with a servo, a step motor, LEDs and a bunch of other sensors. I want to incorporate LED lighting into the model with fiber optics. A couple of things I'd like to do: instead of removable panels to show off the interior, I would like to hinge and motorize them so they can swing open and closed using a remote control. This is particularly important since I plan to build a coffee table and have the model in a scene under glass. I've been looking at drawings of the Millennium Falcon, and I notice in the cargo hold there appears to be a freight elevator that I'd like to animate (I don't think it has been featured in any of the movies.) Also, I have a very good friend who is a wizard in designing 3 dimensional scale sound for sound effects and music and I'm hoping to get him involved in the build. I'm hoping you young pups can teach this old dog some new high-tech tricks.
bruce3318
#8 Posted : 17 March 2015 23:55:47

very excited about this bad boy!! I have been modelling on and off for over 30 years. My first models were the old Aurora Monsters, and built all of the MPC Star wars kits from the 70's and 80's. I have never lighted any of the models so far, but have longed to do so. The closest I came was the old AMT ProShop XWing. I will definitely add some weathering to this kit. I have been following the UK builds on Youtube and am very impressed with what I have seen.
Gandale
#9 Posted : 18 March 2015 00:52:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see all you guys on board. Have a feeling there is going to be some awesome build on show and hope to follow all of your diaries.... Good luck to you all on building what is a fabulous looking kit...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
CAThompson
#10 Posted : 18 March 2015 00:57:34

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Greetings all,
I am looking forward to adding details and especially adding lights. Adding lights to models has really changed how I look at models and build them. With all the lights in the Millennium Falcon I'm sure to get my fill.

Christopher
Current builds:
HMS Victory
Black Pearl

Builds on hold:
Millennum Falcon
USS Constellation

Future Builds:
Hanse Kogge (14th C)
Mary Rose (16th C)
darbyvet
#11 Posted : 18 March 2015 01:14:02

bruce3318 wrote:
very excited about this bad boy!! I have been modelling on and off for over 30 years. My first models were the old Aurora Monsters, and built all of the MPC Star wars kits from the 70's and 80's. I have never lighted any of the models so far, but have longed to do so. The closest I came was the old AMT ProShop XWing. I will definitely add some weathering to this kit. I have been following the UK builds on Youtube and am very impressed with what I have seen.

Welcome to the forum Bruce3318.We look forward to seeing photos of your build of this fabulous kit

I am forum support for USA so If I can help you in any way let me know

Carl
LrdSatyr8
#12 Posted : 18 March 2015 03:27:04

I got my parts today! I GOT MY PARTS TODAY!!! I feel like a little girl on Christmas morning!! I even did my happy dance!! Just opened the box and was blown away! I'mamazed at how fast it arrived... was expecting it to be later this week but it arrived today!! After seeing all the videos and pics of this thing I was kinda surprised that the parts were a bit smaller then I imagined. Gonna have to take some pics with something in the foreground to give a better sense of scale. Not that I'm complaining... I'm totally stoked! I looked back and made the purchase on the 8th... got the order shipped email on the 16th and it arrived today... total turn around time was only 8 days! I was expecting closer to 2 weeks! I guess I must live closer to a distribution warehouse or something! THIS IS A VERY HAPPY DAY!!! (Does my little happy dance!)
bruce3318
#13 Posted : 18 March 2015 23:43:05

darbyvet wrote:
bruce3318 wrote:

Welcome to the forum Bruce3318.We look forward to seeing photos of your build of this fabulous kit

I am forum support for USA so If I can help you in any way let me know

Carl

Thanks Carl. I got an email that my first parts have shipped today! WOO HOO!!
davetwin
#14 Posted : 18 March 2015 23:51:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I can imagine how excited you will be getting especially after watching all the builds out there so far.

Don't forget to open a build diary here to show us all what you're doing BigGrin

bruce3318
#15 Posted : 21 March 2015 15:05:23

davetwin wrote:
I can imagine how excited you will be getting especially after watching all the builds out there so far.

Don't forget to open a build diary here to show us all what you're doing BigGrin

Here are a couple of pics of my MPC Falcon that I built about 10 years ago.
bruce3318 attached the following image(s):
bcousefalcon005.jpg
bcousefalcon001.jpg
dowbyhuz
#16 Posted : 26 March 2015 14:32:43

!! I also have this (unopened) model. I had no idea it could look this good!

Best,
Dave
darbyvet
#17 Posted : 26 March 2015 14:45:04

dowbyhuz wrote:
!! I also have this (unopened) model. I had no idea it could look this good!

Best,
Dave

Welcome to the forum Dave.

Carl

dowbyhuz
#18 Posted : 26 March 2015 14:50:30

I'm actually replying from Canada. Hope you guys don't give me the boot.

I have one of the most unlikely plans for this kit. (I received my first box this week, #1 of 25. Very, very pleased.)

I actually plan to do absolutely nothing until I have every piece. Just think of all the tutorials and online experiences I'll have at my disposal by then!

Not as if I have nothing else to do, you know. I will soon begin an exhaustively detailed variation of the MF using match-sticks. You've likely have seen others do this.

I've also got the 5,000+ piece Lego MF to begin, as well as the MPC kit. Even got a kit bizarrely made using Mechano.

Best,
Dave
Thrakensal
#19 Posted : 29 March 2015 06:58:54

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I just subscribed and am (im)patiently awaiting my first shipment. So I have a question; How long did it take to actually receive it? BigGrin
Thrakensal
#20 Posted : 29 March 2015 07:48:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I do plan on doing some of the great modifications I've seen in the build threads. But I also plan on modifying the rear a bit by changing the engine section a bit. I will do the top vents with inserts for the fans and PE grills to show more depth and the engine lighting and PE grill in the back to make it match more with the fine molds kit. I'm hoping some of the guys at the RPF and Starship Modeler will come up with some great addons for this. I know one; FZ6; who is already putting some stuff on Shapeways to do the interior up and the turbo lasers and such.