Calling all US Millennium Falcon builders Options
CRphoto
#61 Posted : 06 May 2015 23:58:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

davetwin wrote:
Welcome CRphoto, interesting idea with the hold

Will you be putting up a build log?

Thank you for the welcome everyone. Yes, I have been taking a few pictures to make a build log in these forms. I should be able to get something online in the next week or so. I'm still reading and collecting ideas from around the net about this kit. Fun stuff . . .
darbyvet
#62 Posted : 07 May 2015 01:37:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

colson wrote:
Hey there everyone.

I'm new to this forum. Ordered my Falcon subscription a couple months ago. Just received my second pack yesterday. Been having a blast building this sucker so far. I may do a build diary on the forum, but I do have a build blog if anyone is interested. I plan on decking mine out with working lights throughout, as can be seen in my blog so far. Looking forward to seeing other's builds as well.

Here's my blog

http://falconmodelbuild.blogspot.com

Also, quick question. If anyone is up to issue 9, how many batteries does it use? I'm doing all my additional lighting with 9v, so I want to know if that's gonna work for the included lights or not.

HI Colson
welcome to the forum.I am US forum support so let me know if I can help you in any way.
I saw a Falcon build by Randy Cooper over here and he is putting orange LEDs in the landing gear bays and it looks great.
colson
#63 Posted : 07 May 2015 07:16:59

Thanks for the welcome darbyvet, and the info.

Thanks Warthog and davetwin also for the welcome. Really excited to be working on this model. I've looked at your builds and they're looking great.
Tomick
#64 Posted : 07 May 2015 10:28:42

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace, hope you enjoy your stay with us Cool

Feel free to add your build here
http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=topics&f=235
Gandale
#65 Posted : 07 May 2015 23:19:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

colson wrote:
Hey there everyone.

I'm new to this forum. Ordered my Falcon subscription a couple months ago. Just received my second pack yesterday. Been having a blast building this sucker so far. I may do a build diary on the forum, but I do have a build blog if anyone is interested. I plan on decking mine out with working lights throughout, as can be seen in my blog so far. Looking forward to seeing other's builds as well.

Here's my blog

http://falconmodelbuild.blogspot.com

Also, quick question. If anyone is up to issue 9, how many batteries does it use? I'm doing all my additional lighting with 9v, so I want to know if that's gonna work for the included lights or not.

A big welcome to the Forum Colson, enjoy your build and enjoy our stay with us... think you'll find we're a friendly helpful bunch on here.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Dyltone
#66 Posted : 08 May 2015 06:48:28

First time EVER building a model but I'm a huge Star Wars fan so I'm hoping enthusiasm and passion will carry me through the next 2 years.

Anyone in the South Florida area for when I get stuck? LOL

Also, in all seriousness, what key supplies/tools will I need? Think beginners kit.

I've got a bad feeling about this...
davetwin
#67 Posted : 08 May 2015 12:08:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dyltone wrote:
First time EVER building a model but I'm a huge Star Wars fan so I'm hoping enthusiasm and passion will carry me through the next 2 years.

Also, in all seriousness, what key supplies/tools will I need? Think beginners kit.

Hi Dyltone, welcome to the Falcon build

The beauty of this build is that you dont actually need any previous model building knoweldge as everything is explained in the instructions quite clearly.

If you wish to experiement with painting then you could always get yourself a cheap model, it doesnt matter what it is, or just some plastic yoghurt cups, anything along these lines to practice techniques on.

For painting I would recommend starting here, I learnt a lot from reading the different categories there.

With regards to basic equipment I would say for this you will need some decent tweezers, craft knife, sanding sticks, side cutters and super glue. You can buy kits that contan everything you need as well as some extras in case you want to do more, something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20127...eName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITthis will get you going.

Also have a read through others build diaries here to get some ideas of what others have done.

Dont be afraid to try techniques as you may surprise yourself, just use soe scrab like I suggested and you cant go wrong, most all enjoy your build BigGrin Cool
darbyvet
#68 Posted : 08 May 2015 15:03:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dyltone wrote:

Welcome Dyltone to the foprum.I am forum support for USA so please let me know if I can help you in any way.

I am in upstate NY , but I would be happy to come to south Florida to help you LOL LOL (especially in the winter!!!)

Seriously I don't think you will have any problems building this kit.There are lots of build diaries and this is a very friendly forum so I am sure people will be glad to help you if you get stuck.The instructions are very easy to follow.

As far as equipment goes I agree with Dave. A good set of sprue cutters to but parts of their sprue ,some sanding sticks ( I use emery boards that ladies use to polish their nails ) and some glue.Super glue works well, but you don't have any working time.It sticks as soon as the parts meet so you have to be sure you have the position right before you connect parts. I often use 2 minute epoxy.it is a mix of 2 solutions, but it gives you a bit of time to position parts before it sets and it forms a very strong bond.

A good pair of fine tweezers and maybe a magnifying loupe or even decent strength reading glasses is also useful to handle the smaller parts.

Micromark in USA has everything you need (www.micromark.com).let me know if you want help picking out specific items.

Carl
arpurchase
#69 Posted : 08 May 2015 23:46:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dyltone

Welcome to the forum and just take your time doing the build, if your stuck just ask its what we are here for. Above all enjoy the experience you may just supprise us with the skills you never thought you had.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Derek71
#70 Posted : 29 May 2015 10:23:15

Eagerly awaiting shipping notice for my first issues. Plan at this point is to add detail where I feel it could use it, and to re-work the damaged areas, as what I have seen of them so far isn't quite the look I want. Further down the road I'm thinking either a Cloud City landing platform, Echo Base section, or Docking Bay 94 coffee table. Or all of them... :) BTW, has anyone else worked out an exact scale for the model? From what I have been able to figure its in right around 1/43, but would like second opinions on that.
"I've made a lot of special modifications myself"...
darbyvet
#71 Posted : 29 May 2015 15:29:48

HI Derek71 welcome to the forum.I am forum support for USA so let me know if I can help you in any way.

I think the cloud city platform idea sounds great.

From what I have seen on some of the sci fi forums (comparing to Fine molds and the Hasbro falcon) the consensus seems to be 1/43 is the correct scale for the DeAgostini Falcon.

Carl

Derek71
#72 Posted : 29 May 2015 16:07:12

darbyvet wrote:
HI Derek71 welcome to the forum.I am forum support for USA so let me know if I can help you in any way.

I think the cloud city platform idea sounds great.

From what I have seen on some of the sci fi forums (comparing to Fine molds and the Hasbro falcon) the consensus seems to be 1/43 is the correct scale for the DeAgostini Falcon.

Carl

Thanks Carl! I got my shipping notice shortly after I posted here. I can't wait to get started!
Impatience
#73 Posted : 29 May 2015 16:40:24

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Any advice on the type/manufacturer of paints to use? From reading the instructions, I'm pretty sure I want to do at least the dry brushing and white painting the light fixtures. Also, it mentions light grey, grey, silver, and black. For the dry brushing any suggestions on the color? Does silver stand out too much and a grey or light grey would be better?

I looked up Tamiya paints since I've heard people talk about those a lot, but not finding them so far. Mostly finding Testers.

Acrylic or Enamel?

I've never painted a model before, so I want to make sure I at least start in the right direction. I also plan to pick up a $15 model or so and practice dry brushing and other techniques on it before I touch the Falcon.

--Imp
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7
Derek71
#74 Posted : 29 May 2015 16:52:16

Impatience wrote:
Any advice on the type/manufacturer of paints to use? From reading the instructions, I'm pretty sure I want to do at least the dry brushing and white painting the light fixtures. Also, it mentions light grey, grey, silver, and black. For the dry brushing any suggestions on the color? Does silver stand out too much and a grey or light grey would be better?

I looked up Tamiya paints since I've heard people talk about those a lot, but not finding them so far. Mostly finding Testers.

Acrylic or Enamel?

I've never painted a model before, so I want to make sure I at least start in the right direction. I also plan to pick up a $15 model or so and practice dry brushing and other techniques on it before I touch the Falcon.

--Imp

Hi, Impatience! I really like your build so far. As far as paints go its really all personal preference. Acrylics are generally easier to work with and more forgiving of errors (easier to clean up or remove) than enamels. But they also dry much faster, which can be good or can be bad depending how large an area youre painting. Testors model master or floquil are decent choices for enamels. For acrylics, tamiya and vallejo are great, and model master are good too. I would recommend you buy a few of each and practice on an inexpensive model or spare parts first. Also you dont have to commit solely to one or the other. Ive had a lot of success in my modeling using acrylics and enamels together on many projects (especially metallics- no acrylics I've found can come close to testors metallizer paints for natural looking metal).
Also, on a side note, drybrushing destroys paintbrushes, so dont use your best or favorite brush to do it. Be patient and use VERY little paint. You should almost not notice the difference with the first pass. Repeat the process after a few minutes drying time until youre happy with the contrast.
I hope this is of some value.
dwayneg
#75 Posted : 12 June 2015 00:05:07

Good afternoon all,

I'm new to the site after following some of your builds in the US and the UK. So, this morning I made my pledge to the Millennium Falcon. Looking forward to this build and following everyone else. There are so many different ideas out there, it's great. If someone was OCD, would it be worth it to buy the 3D printed parts? Keep up the Great builds.

Dwayne
Tamiya 1/32 P-51D, Revell 1/32 Bf 109G-6 x2 1/32 P-51B, 1/32 Trumpeter Bf109K-4, 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109E, Testors 1/32 F-117, RMF 1/35 Tiger 1
Impatience
#76 Posted : 12 June 2015 02:05:35

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

dwayneg wrote:
Good afternoon all,

I'm new to the site after following some of your builds in the US and the UK. So, this morning I made my pledge to the Millennium Falcon. Looking forward to this build and following everyone else. There are so many different ideas out there, it's great. If someone was OCD, would it be worth it to buy the 3D printed parts? Keep up the Great builds.

Dwayne

Welcome Dwayne!!! Always great to see more people join the ranks!!! Congratulations on taking the 25 month plunge into Star Wars awesomeness! I'm only 2 months into mine and loving it so far. The folks on this site are so helpful its made my novice experience pretty amazing. I look forward to seeing your build log once things arrive.

As far as the 3D printed parts, I'll have to let others comment on that as I have chosen not to modify mine in that way. Also, from what I've seen, some folks have some methods and alterations that can rival what you get from Shapeways. For instance Warthog's modifications to the floor panel are pretty sweet. (See Customized Millennium Falcon Build forum/thread). I don't have the patience for it (hence my name) but if I did, thats the way I'd go in that particular instance.
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7
CRphoto
#77 Posted : 12 June 2015 03:46:06

dwayneg wrote:
Good afternoon all,

Dwayne

Greetings Dwayneg,
Please post your own build log once you get started.
As far as 3D printed parts, there's some fantastic stuff out there.
One place to start may be to put some thought into what version of the Falcon you want to build and display. If you fancy re-creating the ILM studio scale miniature built for Empire, then the kit is relativity spot on without any additional 3D parts. The cockpit insides (and soon the outer window frame) are near exact replicas of what the studio model has. The inside area was not present on that model, so if it stays closed up, it will never be seen.

If your looking for more of an "in the Star Wars universe" look, then some scratch building, 3D parts, resin castings etc may be the way to go.

The inside, or cut-away view, can be anything you want. There's multiple schools of thought on the forms as to how far to take the detailing.

Enjoy figuring out all the available angles to approach you build. It a big part of the fun if you ask me.

dwayneg
#78 Posted : 12 June 2015 04:45:40

CRphoto wrote:
dwayneg wrote:
Good afternoon all,

Dwayne

Greetings Dwayneg,
Please post your own build log once you get started.
As far as 3D printed parts, there's some fantastic stuff out there.
One place to start may be to put some thought into what version of the Falcon you want to build and display. If you fancy re-creating the ILM studio scale miniature built for Empire, then the kit is relativity spot on without any additional 3D parts. The cockpit insides (and soon the outer window frame) are near exact replicas of what the studio model has. The inside area was not present on that model, so if it stays closed up, it will never be seen.

If your looking for more of an "in the Star Wars universe" look, then some scratch building, 3D parts, resin castings etc may be the way to go.

The inside, or cut-away view, can be anything you want. There's multiple schools of thought on the forms as to how far to take the detailing.

Enjoy figuring out all the available angles to approach you build. It a big part of the fun if you ask me.

I ordered the Haynes manual the other day to help me out but I'm leaning towards ROJ. Who knows what will happen when it starts to show up. A lot to think about.

Dwayne
Tamiya 1/32 P-51D, Revell 1/32 Bf 109G-6 x2 1/32 P-51B, 1/32 Trumpeter Bf109K-4, 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109E, Testors 1/32 F-117, RMF 1/35 Tiger 1
CRphoto
#79 Posted : 12 June 2015 17:01:51

I ordered the Haynes manual as well after starting this project. I wonder how big an upswing in sales they are seeing because of DeAgostini Laugh

On a related note, after reading the Haynes cover to cover I realized that much of the material in the book is being reprinted in the monthly installment magazines. Same artwork and nearly identical text. I wonder if they both utilized the same source material from lucasfilm or if DeAgo has licensed the content from Haynes.
Either way, it's all good stuff.
Dan Kramer
#80 Posted : 21 June 2015 02:43:34

Hi there. Dan in South Dakota here. I just pulled the trigger on my subscription for my own Falcon. The $1 shipping deal was just too good to pass on. Thank you Model Space!

I haven't done much modeling in years, but I love to make things. I have a workspace set, now I just need to start collecting the tools and paints for when the part deliveries start to come in.
My plan is to follow the examples of members here, and using fiber optics on the ship. In other words, I intend to shamelessly steal ideas shared on this forum. BigGrin
Hopefully I'll have ideas worthy of other to steal too.

Has anyone else looked into a sound system for their Falcon? I was thinking of using one of the small Arduino models that can control the lights and add in some sounds. It's all still in the planning stage at this point.