9 Pages <12345>»
Marks ENTEX 1:8 Mclaren M23 James Hunt Options
mark8454
#41 Posted : 10 April 2015 16:13:44

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I will start painting at the weekend,

I thought I would share this with all as it made me smile,

On the bottom of the box I found this, wonder where lee is now!?

mark8454
#42 Posted : 19 April 2015 11:05:18

HELP NEEDED!!!!

Can some one give me tips with lacquer does it need to be light mists and serveral coats?

Intact can someone five me tips step by step to paint in general, I have not attempted a full respray at this level before

Thanks a million in advance
arpurchase
#43 Posted : 19 April 2015 13:12:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Mark

As Tomic has already said and I agree buy a cheap kit and practice on that 1st until you feel ready to tackle the Entex

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Warthog
#44 Posted : 19 April 2015 13:51:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi Mark

I'm going to be completely honest here, if not a little blunt and please don't take this as any kind of insult to your skills as a modeller because I think you've been doing a great job so far on your MP4/23 but may I suggest that you put this beautiful model to one side and practice on as many other model kits out there like Tamiya's smaller 1/12 kits or similar.

To be asking questions about painting in general gives me concern that you will not be happy with your results and any mistake could end up very very costly indeed. Techniques are not something that can be learnt overnight or by reading a book, they are learnt through many years of trial and error, tears and tantrums (believe me I've had a few in my days) experience takes years but there are a few that find a skill they never thought they had and can produce some stunning works of art in little time.

This is a very rare model and one which will have eyes from all over the globe looking at. I am one for sure who would love for you to do this kit justice it deserves knowing that you have taken every moment of care and knowledge and skills learnt.

Feel free to pm me if you need any help.

Spencer

ModelMania
#45 Posted : 19 April 2015 16:26:17

Groups:

Hello Mark,

You've asked about whether to mist coat the paint/lacquer and how many coats but I have already answered that question for you in post #36 and said there that you should paint in several mist coats? I even left links to a couple of sites one of which was a tutorial that explained how to go about painting a model with the Zero paints system which I trust you looked at and I also suggested in the same post #36 and which Tomick also suggested in post #37, that if you aren't confident with spraying, then you ought to practice on several less expensive kits first? Huh Confused

I also agree with Spencers' very wise words that to be asking general questions about spraying suggests that your skill level is not currently up to tackling the Entex McLaren and that it would be better for you to put this beautiful and rare kit to one side for a few months and just practice, practice, practice until you are fully confident in being able to do this kit the justice that it deserves? As Spencer has also said, please don't take his comments and likewise mine as an insult, they are not meant to be, we are only trying to help you see that you don't appear to be ready for the biggie just yet as you seem full of trepidation and dare I say a little scared of the task in front of you? We both would hate to see you ruin what to many is the 'Holy Grail' of F1 kits or even worse give up half way and leave it unfinished and therefore waste an awful lot of money?

There's no rush with this, just go away and learn the skills, then come back and have the thrill of your modelling life by building such a beautiful model with confidence not anxiety? Cool Cool

I hope you understand that those who have responded to your pleas for help are only being honest with you here Mark and are trying to offer the correct advice to you? Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
davetwin
#46 Posted : 19 April 2015 20:42:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If it helps at all this is where I started, here, when I wanted to learn about painting.

I then did lots of reading on the internet, once I was comfortable that I understood all the terminology that was used I then started watching youtube videos on the various techniques.

After this I used a cheap model that I only half built as a test bed, as others of said it really is the best way to learn, I was pretty confident after all my research but realised it wasnt simply as easy as following instructions when putting it in to practice, sure the basics are, but the rest can only come by actually doing and making those mistakes Cool
mark8454
#47 Posted : 20 April 2015 09:14:42

No offence taken guys,

I am just very aware that one wrong move can ruin the model,

so I will test on spare/old parts of the MP4 23,

I will post pics when I progress

thanks all
RM1
#48 Posted : 20 April 2015 12:41:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mark. I've just seen your questions on painting and the posts that have followed. The guys have given some very wise words in their replies.
The phrase "practice makes perfect" comes to mind and the finish on a model is a make or break component.
Old or cheap plastic kits are useful to practice on as well as other inexpensive plastic parts like spoons or plates ( styrene based plastics with smooth finishes ). That's what I use constantly to check and improve with.
Hope that helps.
Malc.
ModelMania
#49 Posted : 21 April 2015 17:43:56

Groups:

A sensible approach Malc and the use of plastic cutlery is a good and very cheap alternative to building models. Glad you specifically stated 'styrene' plastics as that is the same type of plastic that most mainstream models are produced from and will therefore give you consistent results to work from when applying the practiced methods to an intended model? With regard to your comment Mark about using some old DeAg MP4/23 parts to practice on, that should be OK provided a suitable primer is used but the MP4/23 plastic is ABS not polystyrene, which throws a slight variable into any possible results? Maybe better to do as Malc suggests, use plastic cutlery or as has been said old or very cheap kits, or even just a sheet of polystyrene plastic sheet? That way you can be certain that the results will be the same on your kit as on the practice pieces?

Not saying you can't use a different type of plastic to practice on Mark, but why make it any more difficult than you need to if you are trying to learn a new skill? Just a thought and I hope that helps?

Kev BigGrin
Tomick
#50 Posted : 14 May 2015 15:11:28

Groups:

How are you getting on with the build?
mark8454
#51 Posted : 17 May 2015 11:44:19

Hey Tomick,

Unfortunately I have gone through a rough time with the Mrs (not because she found out I bought it lol) and I have found myself looking for a new place to live and when I get it sorted and settled the entex McLaren will get the time she deserves to be built, keep watching this space my next reply will be when I'm in a better place

I will still continue to post with updates and things I have bought to enhance and paint her before the build starts
Tomick
#52 Posted : 17 May 2015 12:00:01

Groups:

Oh dear, sorry to hear this, hope things work out ok.
mark8454
#53 Posted : 17 May 2015 14:36:32

Thanks mate. I'm sure they will :)
mark8454
#54 Posted : 21 May 2015 21:34:09

It's started....

Primed ready for basecoat white to go under the fluorescent red!

RM1
#55 Posted : 22 May 2015 08:13:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Mark. BigGrin I'm keen to see how this progresses as I'm at the bodywork painting stage with my 1/20 scale M23.
What paints are you using?
Malc.
mark8454
#56 Posted : 22 May 2015 15:51:45

Thanks malc, I'm using zero paints from hiroboy, it seemed to have good reviews from people on here and seems to be a good colour match,

My airbrush needs new parts so may be a few weeks until next update :)
RM1
#57 Posted : 23 May 2015 15:57:25

Hi Mark. thanks for the info. I can't get those paints here. I'm going to go with the Tamiya spray Florescent red (TS36). which should be ok on my 1/20 but maybe not suitable on the 1/8 scale.
Malc.
mark8454
#58 Posted : 23 May 2015 19:42:17

I also have the TS paint and this is a great match, does the tamiya masking tape create a good clean line?
RM1
#59 Posted : 24 May 2015 06:44:00

mark8454 wrote:
I also have the TS paint and this is a great match, does the tamiya masking tape create a good clean line?

I do use the Tamiya masking tape and have been quite satisfied with it. I use a wooden "lollipop" stick to press the edge firmly down.
I haven't had much practice at a colour line in fact the first real go has been the rear wing on my M23. Posted last night.
Malc.
mark8454
#60 Posted : 24 May 2015 16:08:14

Taking everyone's advice I have bought some paint spraying samples, the kind you see in a bodyshop

I have painted it to test the lines and am very pleased with results,

I will sample a decal and then clear coat