Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages 123>»
LrdSatyr's Millenium Falcon Build Log Options
LrdSatyr8
#1 Posted : 01 April 2015 20:27:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well I've been putting it off for a while waiting for the next batch of parts before I begin, and while doing so I'm working out a game plan (not that it's rigid mind you), but just a set of reminder guides to help me out while working on this beauty! Now mind you, I've been following everyone's builds so far and have gotten some great tips and ideas on what I want to do with mine. Until I start ripping open the packs, I'll be posting my own personal guides for this as reminders of things I need to do. So here we go...

Here are my first packs of parts... issues 1-4. My first impression was WOW. The detail is completely and totally off the chain! My second impression was that the pieces are smaller then I imagined. That's not a bad thing mind you, just that after seeing all the pics of this online all this time, the pieces seem to look bigger, but then you never really see anything else in the photos that give it a good scale. Well here's my pics. I placed a quarter next to the packs to give it a better idea of scale. I haven't taken the parts out of the packaging yet because I think I'm gonna hold off on putting things together until I get a few more pieces. Also thinking of getting some of Tony's 3D pieces on Shapeways to take this thing to the next level! In any event, I know I need to start stocking up on some paints. Most of mine are enamels and have gotten pretty old. I think I want to go with acrylics for this and am wondering which would be the most useful. I've heard Vallejo paints are good, as well as a couple of other brands, but if you got any good advice, let me know. And now here's the pics!

Everything that I received

Parts Pack #1

Parts Pack #2

Parts Pack #3

Parts Pack #4

Yeah I know... gotta get out my better camera. Was so excited I used my cell phone to take those pics!
Just a few things I'm making notes on before I begin building... ideas that I've been considering.

- Pop out the top window frame and rotate it about 15 degrees.
- Make some scans of the stickers to make decals instead. Will be committing to buying Tony's cockpit details as soon as I get the money and love the detail of the stickers, so to compromise, by doing a high-res scan of the stickers, I can print them up on photo paper, then create my own decals by spraying the print with clear gloss spray paint. When the printed parts come in, use the printed decals for the fine details. I believe I may be able to get the white long wall lights by placing a sheet of paper in the holes of the lights that will provide a good base and scatter the lights. Still trying to figure that part out yet.
- Get some self flashing LEDs in red, blue and white and use fiber optics to light the cockpit consoles... not sure if the kit will have any flashing lights or not, but it should.
- I think I'm gonna build the framework as I receive the parts. This will allow me to have the shell frame to build and then I can work on all the parts after the entire frame is together.
- Work on a good match color formula in paint that will match the hull color that the parts are provided in. I'm thinking 1 part yellow, 1 part black, 8 parts white. That should get me close but will come up with a better formula later as I start comparing on the actual parts.
- The interior seating looks off to me so far from what I've seen of some of the UK builds and after skimming thru my SW Movies, I noticed the seat backs don't go past the end of the console behind the seating on the right hand side (right side as you're sitting in the seats).
- There are also some evenly spaced small embedded black control panels with buttons or something in them. Will probably have to run some fiber optics into them.
- There are seat belts. They look like standard two strap gray seat belts but with a big round avition style buckle. There are at least 3 of them. Ben, Luke and 3PO use them in the original movie ANH as they are taking off from Mos Eisley.
- There's a dual ended cylider with lights at each end that are included with the kit but aren't lit. May have to scratch build that so it can be lit in some fashion.

I'll be adding more thoughts and ideas as I go along, but so far so good. Got alot to do and at least a fair amount of time to do it in.

File Attachment(s):
Parts.jpg (868kb) downloaded 123 time(s).
Parts1.jpg (661kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
Parts2.jpg (663kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
Parts3.jpg (648kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
Parts4.jpg (644kb) downloaded 54 time(s).
davetwin
#2 Posted : 01 April 2015 22:42:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad to see you have got your first pack and look forward to seeing how you progress when you get started.

I am much the same as you whereby I have decided I will definitely be building the framework as I got, strange as it may sound I am find the framework gorgeous.
LrdSatyr8
#3 Posted : 02 April 2015 01:28:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks Dave... Yeah... you don't know how badly I want to tear into these packs and start working on them. But I'm holding off until my next shipment comes in. I am watching everyone else already working on this beauty and getting all my ducks in a row! God it's so tempting to just rip it open. I'm probably not going to paint anything (except what needs to be painted) until all the hull parts are together. Makes no sense in painting everything as it comes in only to find that later I'll have to repaint it to get everything to match up again anyway, because no matter how hard you try, you'll never be able to keep a consistent paint job along so many stages of building. I don't care how good you are. After seeing the hull pieces and the paint jobs that are already on it, I doubt I'll have much work to get the detail that I want unless the hull pre-painting that has been done doesn't match up well at all as more pieces come in. But we'll see as time goes on! I'm just excited to be working on such an excellent kit!
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 02 April 2015 02:57:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I feel the same way.I want to open everything but I will wait until I have a few more parts to start.I plan on covering all of the exterior panels with paint to get an even look and then weather once it is assembled.I am going to try Vallejo air paints.

Carl
LrdSatyr8
#5 Posted : 02 April 2015 16:29:08

Will defintely have to work on lowering the size of my photos. But can't wait to get started on this baby soon!
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 02 April 2015 16:42:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi, BigGrin

Will follow your build as with others and wish you good luck for the future.

As a guide to picture size, if you resize to approx 660 x 400 pixels you will keep within the framework of the forum.

Hope this helps,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

LrdSatyr8
#7 Posted : 02 April 2015 20:22:51

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi, BigGrin

Will follow your build as with others and wish you good luck for the future.

As a guide to picture size, if you resize to approx 660 x 400 pixels you will keep within the framework of the forum.

I belong to so many different forums, it's hard to keep up with which one allows for attachments and which ones don't. Some actually do the resizing for you, some don't. Some just allow for image links and don't display the image whatsoever. In any event, thanks for the info. Will make sure my photos are much more forum friendly in the future!
LrdSatyr8
#8 Posted : 13 April 2015 21:44:03

Ok... here's my first video... its just the preview page, but more to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmvSMkIo7xQ

I just was informed my 2nd batch of parts arrived today... can't wait to get home and crack em open! :)
LrdSatyr8
#9 Posted : 29 April 2015 22:15:26

Well I got the main turret gun painted... still gotta get out my airbrush and do some more detail work on it, but I painted it a light tan... seems to match pretty well with the base color of the falcon parts. Also have to drill out the barrels, but here's what I got so far.

I've also done a bit of work on the cockpit... even thou I'Il probably be replacing it with Shapeways pieces.

I haven't added the stickers yet because I'm fixing them to be more accurate. More to come on that later.
Impatience
#10 Posted : 29 April 2015 22:41:26

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking great! I like the way the pilot and co-pilot seats look. The darker lines definitely give it that worn seat look. I'll be interested to see what you do with the stickers.
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7
davetwin
#11 Posted : 29 April 2015 22:48:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start, its really good to start seeing some US build diaries taking shape ThumpUp
LrdSatyr8
#12 Posted : 18 July 2015 22:50:32

OK... time for an update... it's been awhile and the reason being is that I moved into a new house. So during that time I had to pack up my workbench and all my tools and parts into boxes... then move them all into a new house, and find them all again, set up a new work area and I'm glad to say I think I got it all set up. However since I haven't glued anything together I've lost somewhere in the move one of the little cresent controls for the cockpit. Which really sucks, so if anyone has a spare, please let me know!

Ok.. onto the build... I'm up to issue 20 so far. Got most of the lower hull put together. One thing that I HIGHLY recommend when assembling the hull panels on the framework, following the order of attaching each panel as it's laid out in the instructions. Reason being is that each one interlocks and overlaps the one that came before it. I learned the hard way that if you just start attaching the panels willy nilly, before long they don't fit... so you end up having to take them off and start over again. I think I did that about 3 times before I went back to the instructions and finally laid them on in the order they were suppose to fit. Once I did that they went on perfectly. Fitting the plastic studs in the metal holes makes it a little difficult at times, but once they go in they fit like a glove, and they are a tight fit!

Next little piece of advice when putting the metal frame pieces together with the long thin ribs make sure you use the right screws. There are 2 types of gold long screws. One has tightly spaced threads and the other has threads that are wider apart. The wide threaded screws will slide in easily and won't screw at all. The tight threaded screws are what you need to use. I got a small little container with separate compartments that I put all my screws in. I separate them so that I can find them when I need them. Would be a good idea if you did the same thing.

Now with the lower hull done as far as I can go I put together the cargo bay. Mind you I haven't screwed or glued anything together yet... still got a lot of painting to do on it. The access corridor is gonna look good too. I still have to put together all the padded rings. There are about 8-10 of them in total and each one has about 16 pads that need to be glued onto it. I plan on sanded them down a bit and rounding the edges a bit more then they are. I also haven't glued anything together yet... am probably gonna put the greeblies on the cockpit tube thou. Guess we'll see what happens soon!

I also plan on stealing my friend Ian's ideas for the interior cargobay and doing a lot of detail work in there. Anyway... I was really pleased to see the first pit. I'm not gonna do any external painting until everything is all together. But this thing looks incredible! LOVE IT! Here's the pics... enjoy!

arpurchase
#13 Posted : 19 July 2015 00:19:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Some nice work there and some good advice, keep the pics comingCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

CanadianJedi
#14 Posted : 19 July 2015 15:35:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Very nice weathering on the cockpit. Looking forward to more pics as the build progresses.
LrdSatyr8
#15 Posted : 09 August 2015 23:21:51

I just got Issues 21-24 yesterday and put more of the bottom hull together. It's interesting that the corridor cover is all one piece instead of two like what came in the first package. The nice thing though is that the bottom edge of the hull plating on it has the notched (unlike the first corridor pieces). In this package also came another part to the jig that is suppose to support the bottom hull during assembly to keep the shape of it from warping while working on the upper levels. Looks like about half of the bottom hull is now done. One nice thing is that this shipment also includes one of the bottom hull panels that has visible damage. It's a long streak of damage however it looks more like someone scribbled with a magic marker and then sunk in the details. Will have to fix that before painting the hull at a later stage.

Now something I highly recommend is getting yourself a small container for your screws and what-not. I found this nice little 6 compartment plastic box for beading at Wal-mart in the craft department. Its perfect for holding all the screws... here's what mine looks like:

Once I got the everything together that I could up to this issue, I noticed the weight of the whole thing. So I decided to see just how heavy just the lower hull has gotten so far. Was amazed to see that this thing is already almost 2 lbs so far (1.80 lbs)... this is without the recess, just the framing and the hull panels on the bottom so far. So the way I figure it, if this is about halfway thru the bottom half, without the center turret section, then when the whole bottom is together, I figure it'll weigh about 5 lbs (give or take a few ounces when it's all together).

Now I realize I have missed a few postings lately but don't worry. I've gotcha covered... I've watched other build logs and keep hearing people complain about the rings with the pads and how tired they were of putting them together... sure there are a lot of them. 9 total... each with 18 pads, making 182 pads total. That's a lot of pads, but here's what I did and did them all in about an hour. First I waited until I had all of them... makes it a lot easier when you have all of them together at once rather then doing them one at a time as they come in. First thing, I worked on each ring one at a time... removed all the pads from the sprue and didn't worry about sanding the sprue nubs yet.

I glued each pad on the ring...

and when dry, I sanded the nubs off to give the rings a more even look. Then I sanded the hard edges down to round them off a bit to give that look of a rounded pad.

In the end they came out looking pretty good, and couldn't help but take a few pics of them in place in the corridors to see how they look. (The last ring on the first pic I didn't sand so you can see the difference between just putting them on without sanding them down and what they look like if you do!)

I haven't put the wall cushions on yet... am working on something special to create a couple of ripped up ones to see if I can make them look good. That's it for now. More to come later!
davetwin
#16 Posted : 10 August 2015 00:17:08

Nicely done Cool I sanded each cushion individually after cutting them all off as I re sprayed them. To be honest it didn't really take took long either but your method is definitely the way to go for those that are not reprinting
LrdSatyr8
#17 Posted : 10 August 2015 05:11:49

davetwin wrote:
Nicely done Cool I sanded each cushion individually after cutting them all off as I re sprayed them. To be honest it didn't really take took long either but your method is definitely the way to go for those that are not reprinting

I think the actual base color looks about dead on... just need a little weathering is all!
LrdSatyr8
#18 Posted : 11 August 2015 21:39:40

I think I may have figured out a way to do the damaged wall pads... gonna try something and see what happens... will keep everyone posted!
LrdSatyr8
#19 Posted : 25 August 2015 14:38:40

I've been working on these for awhile now and finally came up with a set of replacement stickers for the cockpit area. One thing that bothered me the most about the stickers that come with the kit is the fact there's no lower light bar and no greyed panels. So here's what I came up with.

As you can see, now you can tell which wall stickers go where and the lower light bar is there. I've tried them out and they line up somewhat with the backwall hole plate but I'm working on something that will fix that as well. I'm also working on the control panel with the raised lever section and the monitor hood thingy. But if anyone else would like to try these out, I'm giving them away for free so you can print them out yourself however you want to use them.

https://www.dropbox.com/...New%20Stickers.pdf?dl=0

Only thing I ask is if you use them, take pics and show me how they come out for you and how they look on your model. I can't wait to see what everyone does with them. One thing I've been thinking of doing it printing them up as decals. That acn be done fairly easily and the only color that you really can't print is WHITE... but here's the technique for those that have never done so before... here's what you need:

- Glossy Photo Paper (8.5 x 11 works best but any size you want)
- Krylon Clear Satin or Gloss Spray Paint
- A Graphic you want to print
- Bowl of warm water
- Distilled White Vineger (optional)

Using your printer set it to the highest print quality you can and print the graphic on the glossy photo paper. Let it dry over night and then spray a coat of clear paint over the top of the graphic and allow to dry completely over night once again. When done, cut out the graphic you want as close to the image as possible and place in a bowl of warm water upside down and allow it to float on the surface. Observe the water as it soaks into the paper and wait til it reaches the center and then count to 30. Pull the decal out of the water carefully and it should slide right off the paper just like any other water slide decal. To prep the surface you want to stick it to, paint it with a little Distilled White Vinegar and the decal will meld into all the crevices of the surface you put it on and will look like it's painted there. Spray a top coat of clear lacquer to seal it to the surface and viola... you have got yourself a custom made decal! Hope this helps anyone!
LrdSatyr8
#20 Posted : 25 August 2015 14:55:51

I just fixed the links above so everyone should be able to get these replacement stickers! Lemme know if you have any problems!