Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages <1234>»
LrdSatyr's Millenium Falcon Build Log Options
scraperjawa
#21 Posted : 25 August 2015 20:18:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice job on the graphics. Can wait to see how it will look in your cockpit. I would try them out, but my cockpit is already glued in. I'm not up for going back and taking it apart.

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

LrdSatyr8
#22 Posted : 25 August 2015 22:18:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

scraperjawa wrote:
Nice job on the graphics. Can wait to see how it will look in your cockpit. I would try them out, but my cockpit is already glued in. I'm not up for going back and taking it apart.

That's one of the reasons I haven't glued anything together yet. Especially with the reissue of the cockpit cone coming soon. but I'll try to post some images this weekend of my results! If anyone else wants to try them out post pics of your results too!
Racersims
#23 Posted : 25 August 2015 22:30:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Like the sticker will play with them see what I can do with them, I might try it on the decal parer I picked up it has white and clear the white should work and being a decal hope to make easier to place "am not that great with Stickers"
On the Bench DeAgostini Millennium Falcon, Moebius 1/32 Cylon Raider, Moebius 1/32 Colonial Viper, Bandai 1/12 R2D2&R5D4, Bandai 1/12 Scout trooper & Speeder Bike
On their way Bandai 1/48 AT-ST, Bandai 1/48 Snow Speeder
Moonman
#24 Posted : 04 September 2015 14:53:29

Really enjoying your build as well as the helpful hints etc. I have just ordered my MF and am expecting the first installment of parts any day. Looking forward to your next posting!
LrdSatyr8
#25 Posted : 26 October 2015 21:22:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Have had a bit of a hiccup with my sever as of late and have had difficulty getting my images to post... but here are the stickers again for anyone that is still interested:

You can download the stickers here: New Sticker Replacements
LrdSatyr8
#26 Posted : 26 October 2015 21:34:40

Been busy detailing since last I posted. Been doing alot of my detailing with Apoxie putty. It's a bit more time consuming then using styrene but I can get alot more detail with it.

My first job was the main wall behind the seating. This is primary focus wall and I wanted to make sure I got it right. First thing I did was I cut a trench along the outside of the inner rings... there's wires and greebles in those things. I also cut my holes in the .. __ .. __ .. __ .. pattern that the rings are suppose to look like. I also used a bit of putty and made the ribs between the rings. Here's what they look like:

I also cut out the pit holes on the end of the wall. Many people have been cutting 3 holes or one big one, but it's actually only 2 holes. A large one on top and a smaller one on the bottom. There is a thin frame around both of them (with little protruding attachment points). The large one had a thin strip going in the middle of it giving the appearance of 3 separate holes, but there's only one. So using my putty I came up with the proper framing for the holes.

Since the main entrance is actually a bit closer to the end, the holes had to be thinned down a bit to compensate for the difference. I think I came to a happy medium. I also made a pit and filled it with various greeblies trying to get as close as I could to the actual set.

Placing it behind the holes, it doesn't look too bad! Will look even better once all painted... what you all think?

More to come!
davetwin
#27 Posted : 26 October 2015 23:36:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking pretty cool and should look pretty sweet when painted up Cool
LrdSatyr8
#28 Posted : 27 October 2015 20:02:05

davetwin wrote:
Looking pretty cool and should look pretty sweet when painted up Cool

Thanks Dave... appreciate it!

OK... here's some more updates. I worked on the wall behind on the nav computer... Made the frame ridges and greeblies out of putty. Here's how it turned out.

Once done I began to focus on the bunk area. I wanted to fix the bunk, so I cut a peice of styrene and fixed the hole, used putty for the internal pads, and then made the side wall (as accurate as I could to the movie). Here's the results.

Then I slapped a coat of paint on everything up t this point, shoved some wires in the ring, dry fit everything together and took a couple of pics!

More to come
LrdSatyr8
#29 Posted : 27 October 2015 20:55:38

Ok... after taking the above pic I realized I needed to work on that nav console. First off, I painted the whole thing in a buffing gunmetal so I get a good shine to it after it's done. Next I began adding detail to it. Most of the detail is there, but it's lacking alot of little things. Like buttons on the console itself and a big round greeble in the center.

Not to mention those nav cans. After studying the screen caps, I discovered the nav cans on the console are actually square bottom solo cups glued down and a painted. But figuring out how to simulate those at this scale isn't easy. So, I thought about it for awhile and finally ended up finding some bamboo skewers that I had. The tips were sharpened and in the general shape of what I needed. So I took some putty, formed it around the tips of the skewers, and allowed it to harden.

Then I pryed them off and cut them to size and glued them over those little round bumps where they should go. Seems to have done the trick.

A little paint, a good dry brushing, and some fine detail lines, and this is the final result.

Now all I have to do is put the fibers in and we're in business!
LrdSatyr8
#30 Posted : 01 November 2015 23:59:24

Ok, here's my latest updates. I finally got the fibers in the nav console and taped everything up for a test shot. Didn't come out too bad. What do you all think?

Now on to the cockpit console!
LrdSatyr8
#31 Posted : 02 November 2015 00:05:05

I think I got my cockpit finished and fibered. I did all the details in putty that includes the nav shroud, the lever box, the botton panel, the light domes and all the little toggle switches. I used my custom sticker replacement for the graphic background. Made finding the holes for the fibers alot easier. I hooked up some LEDs to it temporarily and took some pics to see how it will look. Whatcha think?

Dan Kramer
#32 Posted : 02 November 2015 02:35:15

Your putty work is really good. I need to get some to try out. Particularly on the cushions for my new bunk.
Your hold greeblies are really crisp and have great dimension to them. It's pretty amazing the details you were able to add to the main dash, like all those teeny toggle switches. Wow. That's work to be proud of.
scraperjawa
#33 Posted : 02 November 2015 07:05:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice detail with the putty. Really like the tiny buttons and switches on the cockpit console. Definitely makes the build more fun when you can add your own touches to the model. I will be watching your build with interest.
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

LrdSatyr8
#34 Posted : 02 November 2015 17:46:06

Dan Kramer wrote:
Your putty work is really good. I need to get some to try out. Particularly on the cushions for my new bunk.
Your hold greeblies are really crisp and have great dimension to them. It's pretty amazing the details you were able to add to the main dash, like all those teeny toggle switches. Wow. That's work to be proud of.

Thanks Dan. I'm trying to do as much as possible on my own without having to turn to more reliable sources (like PE or 3D). I've been asked many times if the nav console was the 3D printed one and everyone is amazed that it's not (which should please some people around here). The basic foundations of the parts are good, but the details are messed up. With a little careful planning and research with references you can fix alot of the problems yourself like I did and make it look even that much better on your own without having to spend hundreds of extra dollars on extra parts. The nice thing about putty is that it hardens to that of a rock (just as hard as the plastic) and it has a self adhesion as you're working with it on the surfaces. But it's not a very strong adhesion. I tend to use a spare sheet of styrene to work on. I shape it and work with it until I'm satisfied with the result then let it harden and pop it off the styrene and glue it in place. I may have to come up with a few video tutorials or at least a walkthru guide on how to do some of the things at this scale. Whatcha think?
LrdSatyr8
#35 Posted : 02 November 2015 17:51:07

scraperjawa wrote:
Very nice detail with the putty. Really like the tiny buttons and switches on the cockpit console. Definitely makes the build more fun when you can add your own touches to the model. I will be watching your build with interest.

Thanks bro... yeah... it makes it alot more rewarding when you're done you can say "I DID THAT" like in that commercial! LOL I'm sure there are alot of little things I can redo, but at this scale you really can't make out alot of the details with the naked eye. The camera picks up alot of stuff that's really hard to see, but it registers unconsciously as detail and makes it look that much more impressive. There are alot of little things I'm sure I can fix and I probably will over the time of the build, but right now I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out so far. I hope that the progress I make will help alot of people with their builds as well. I am attempting to be as screen accurate as possible!
LrdSatyr8
#36 Posted : 03 November 2015 05:51:47

I forgot to post the greeblies that I made in putty for the dashboard. Here's what I made before painting and gluing in place.

LrdSatyr8
#37 Posted : 04 November 2015 22:08:45

Again... before I placed those details on, I used my replacement sticker for the console. I found a photo I took of the console with just the new sticker on it just after I drilled the holes for the fiber optics. With it it really makes a difference in finding the spots where the lighted buttons and fibers should go. Really comes in handy! Lemme know what you think...

LrdSatyr8
#38 Posted : 09 November 2015 21:47:36

OK all... here's my latest updates on this puppy so far! As you may or may not know, I've been attempting to accurize as much as possible for as little as possible. One thing that absolutely drives me insane is the totally uninteresting and toy looking back nav seats. For one thing, they aren't accurate at all (except maybe the line cushions), but other than that, very square, too short, and totally wrong on too many levels. I tried rounding the head topper, but to no avail, this would have to be scratch built, and would also mean that now I would have to make the floor accurate too.

I was looking at the floor in my cockpit and decided that it really needed to be fixed. But I really wanted to be able to maintain the tabs for the backwall. So I cut out a good size hole in the floor behind the front seats and decided to make my own flooring to look more like the floor of the actual cockpit. I cut out some pieces of sheet styrene and glued them all together and placed them in the hole and glued them in place. I think it's a pretty good compromise... what you all think?

Mind you, I'm doing all of this detail work by eyeballing alone... not making any measurements or anything.
LrdSatyr8
#39 Posted : 09 November 2015 21:48:31

Alright all you happy peoples... got a big update for everyone. Have been working on scratch building the nav chairs. I got out my reference photos and set to work with my putty and began working on the first frame.

My first task was get some kind of measurements. As far as I can tell from the photo the top of the nav chair is a head and a half taller then the front seats, but I also had to factor in the fact that the floor is also dropped a bit lower then then one the front seat is on (hence the reason for the lowered floor in the cockpit). So I took a stick and placed the front seat in place and eyeballed the measurement on the stick. I used that measurement to figure out the rest of my build. Using that measurement I pulled out some putty and started shaping it. I placed a couple of strips of styrene down to give a better ridge to it. Here's the result...

Althou it didn't come out too bad, I realized I was gonna have to repeat this process 2 more times and frankly, getting the putty to this point took about 2 hours. Didn't like it... so I basically started over again with styrene and think it came out looking better then the putty. I also have some styrene tubing that I thought would make the look a lot nicer, so using the thickness of the tubing, I figured out the width of the framing... Came out looking alot cleaner and straight-edged.

I needed to encase the tubing inside the frame but I also had to make two 90 degree tubes along the side that kinda of protruded thru the framing in the bottom of the top hole of the frame and the second to bottom hole. I used my dremel to make some concave cuts in the end of the tubing and then cut 6 little pieces to glue onto the tube in the proper places. I had to fit them into the holes to make sure I had them in the right places. I painted them black, glued two strips to the sides and then glued them onto the backs of the frames.

So far not looking too bad. I cut out the seats and backs and the back tops. I glued one together and I started thinking that maybe these frames were too big, so I placed them next to the provided seats to compare them and I guess not. Looks like I'm right on track.

More to come!
LrdSatyr8
#40 Posted : 09 November 2015 21:49:21

Now comes the fun part. The seat topper. This thing is completely wacky to try to build from scratch. Hard to make a template for it as well because you have to glue, let dry and shape and round and fix, then glue another piece, let dry and sand and shape, ad nausea... but I got one done. Here's how it looks...

Looks about right to me. So I glued it in place and started working on the line cushions... this time I turned to my trusty putty. Doesn't look too bad... Whatcha think?

Two more toppers to go... then the arms rests, the side greeblies, and the supports and I can start painting! Really starting to come together.