Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Mustang Shelby build diary Options
michu
#1 Posted : 01 April 2015 21:10:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I was quite surprised to find my first delivery of Ford Mustang Shelby partwork in the mail today. That was quick! So without further ado, here's the start of my build diary.

Delivery 01, Issue 01

The pack contains parts to make the car's front. They are neatly packaged, and the screws are easily identifiable thanks to the coded stickers on the bags - which is a blessing and a curse, as I'll explain later. The paint quality is great.

The first step is to install the front grille. Easy enough, it's held by two screws:

Next comes the front bumper, which is made of chromed plastic. It's quality is ok, although I would prefer a metal part here. It's also held by two screws from the back.

The front lights proved to be two first fiddly bits. I didn't like the fit of them very much, it wasn't well defined and required several tries to find an alignment that felt more or less right. They are then screwed with a single screw each from the back.

The last step in this part was to install number plate. It was the step where the trouble begun.

Basically, with the smallest screws, the thread in metal part is not of a very good quality. I screwed and unscrewed the plate several times, and still wasn't able to get the screws fully in. I stripped two screwdrivers' tips (one might say they are not of a very good quality, but I had no problems with them before). I tried the screwdriver included in Issue 02, but with no luck either. I'll try to get some better tools later and update if it improved the situation... Right now the number plate still has a bit of play.

Delivery 01, Issue 02

I have to start with the sad fact, that I didn't complete Issue 02 in full. Reason was the same - very poorly made threads for one of the tiny screws included with this issue.

The first thing to do here was to install the brake shield onto another metal part, then add the plastic brake disk, brace them together with a (plastic) brake caliper, and screw in the single tiny screw that should hold all parts together. Mission failed.

On the second photo above you can see the brake disc is a bit off-center, that's fine as it will be centered in the right place when the whole assembly is mounted on the wheel. But first... the tiny screw visible on the third photo above needs to be fastened properly, and for now, it proved impossible. Again, I will get some better quality tools, and update if I had any luck with them.

This pack also contains the wheel and tyre, but I left the fitting exercise for later.

All in all, I have mixed feelings about this new partwork. The visual quality of parts is great, especially the external paintwork. This is a model that I always wanted to build - an iconic car that I really love. On the other hand, the threads of the screw holes could have been of much better quality, making the build more enjoyable. I think I'll try to get some better quality screwdrivers, made of some hard alloy, and I'll wait for the second delivery. I hope the fit will get better with time, or that I can solve the problems with better tools.

The thing I would do immediately at this point, is to get a set of good quality, precision taps. I would but I can't - all the screws types are coded with a combination of letters and numbers that have nothing in common with their sizes. As I said, it's both a blessing and a curse - it's easy to find the right screw for the task at hand. It's impossible to tap the holes as the screw sizes are never mentioned.

Stay tuned for the next episode...
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
only1ianuk
#2 Posted : 01 April 2015 21:17:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi. Great to see the start of your build.
Have you tried a dab of washing up liquid on the screw to make it easier? If the holes aren't deep enough then you can cut the tip off the screw
michu
#3 Posted : 01 April 2015 21:21:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

only1ianuk wrote:
Hi. Great to see the start of your build.
Have you tried a dab of washing up liquid on the screw to make it easier? If the holes aren't deep enough then you can cut the tip off the screw

Good idea and I'll try it as soon as I get new screwdrivers as all three I had are now gone - including the one incleded with pack 02. The holes seem to be deep enough.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

arpurchase
#4 Posted : 01 April 2015 21:59:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin A very nice start and certainly an eye catcher, another thing you could try is to pre-screw the screws into the holes before fitting the part this in effect taps the hole. Good luck with her.Cool

Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ian2014
#5 Posted : 01 April 2015 22:29:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice build diary will be following this one when I get started. What a car todo hope to do the newer gt500 as well they will look allsome side by side time will tell.
Facebook-model maker
Gandale
#6 Posted : 01 April 2015 22:53:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Always great to see new builds get under way and this one is no different... Will be following all the way to see how you get on... nice start....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#7 Posted : 01 April 2015 22:53:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely start and judging by what you have done so far this is going to be a stunning model Drool

Top tip by Andy with regards to screwing the screws in first to pre thread the holes, another couple of methods I have used before that has proved succesful is to either spray a small amount of WD40 into the screw hole or use a bit of Vaseline on the thread
ModelMania
#8 Posted : 02 April 2015 12:39:45

Groups:

Nice start Dave, this Shelby Mustang looks like a very nice model and I'm certainly looking forward to watching your build progress - well done!! Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
Eagle
#9 Posted : 02 April 2015 14:00:01

Red Medal: Red Medal

A good set of high quality screwdrivers will make your build much more enjoyable, I have assembled this model up through #11 and have had no issues getting the screws all the way in. Due to the high cost of shipping to the US I only purchase groups of installment issues, waiting for issue #30 to be available now.
RM1
#10 Posted : 02 April 2015 14:19:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice looking kit and a great start.
Pre-threading and a bit of lubrication on the screws should normally work.
Looking forward to watching this build come together.
Malc.
michu
#11 Posted : 02 April 2015 17:13:54

Ok, I got some high-end screwdrivers that should arrive early next week, and I'll try to add some lubrication. Hope it will be enough. After sleeping on it I'm much more optimistic about this build and already have some small mods in mind :-)

michu
#12 Posted : 11 April 2015 22:28:24

I'm happy to announce that with the help of some proper screwdrivers and washing up liquid (who would thought!) all the screws are in all the way. Yippee Ki Yay, you... screws.

OK, so the next thing was to get the tyre onto the rim. Guys, I think I can skip the gym today. Even with an aid of hairdryer this was an uneven fight. That I won, somehow. Bards will sing about this for years to come...

Sorry for the quality of pictures, I need to set up some proper lighting rig at last...

michu attached the following image(s):
DSC_7299.JPG
DSC_7301.JPG

arpurchase
#13 Posted : 11 April 2015 23:26:23

BigGrin Glad you got it sorted Mick, I just hope you dont need to pick any glass shards out of your feetBlink Crying LOL Drool BigGrin Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#14 Posted : 12 April 2015 00:49:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice one Mick ThumpUp, love the Die Hard reference Cool
ian2014
#15 Posted : 15 April 2015 09:34:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Michu with the tyres have tryed putting it in hot water thanks Ian
Facebook-model maker
Eagle
#16 Posted : 15 April 2015 14:14:26

Red Medal: Red Medal

LOL about the front tires and skipping the gym, even with the hot water treatment it is an 'exercise' in both muscle and patience LOL
ModelMania
#17 Posted : 15 April 2015 14:44:38

Groups:

Glad that you succeeded in getting those screws all the way home Michu and yes, the merits of washing-up liquid are many. Like you say, who would have thought and it does help to have the right tools in terms of quality?

Glad also that you have rediscovered your enthusiasm for this build and it just goes to show that there is nothing in modelling that isn't possible, it just needs the right tools and approach and a little hard won knowledge?!! That's the nice thing about this forum though, there is such a great wealth of knowledge on most genres and many members who are willing to help sort others' problems when asked?

Well done on a great looking build Michu, I do like the look of this Mustang. Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
michu
#18 Posted : 15 April 2015 15:34:30

ModelMania wrote:
...yes, the merits of washing-up liquid are many.

Yep, and you can even wash dishes with it!

michu
#19 Posted : 22 April 2015 00:26:56

Yesterday I received another pack for this model, and without much hesitation I got on with the build.

Delivery 02, Issue 03

In this issue we start to build engine. The first step is to mount the rocker covers.

This is followed by completing the air cleaner assembly.

Next we attach two carburetors to the engine block (in the photo one in place and one on its own), and top it all with previously built air cleaner. The last step is to add a rocker cap.

Delivery 02, Issue 04

In this pack we can find the bonnet that really shows the scale of the model. This thing is huge, and the paintwork once more is wonderful. Nothing to do with that part just yet, it's to be carefully wrapped and put aside.

Next we mount Shelby logo to the front grille, and then attach the grille to the front assembly started in delivery 01.

The last step is to add another two lights to the front. They are just pushed in, I have to admit the setup feels a bit flimsy and might need to be reinforced with glue - but I will wait until I know how it all fits together in future before I go with that option.

That's it for this pack, next one in a month or so :)

Happy modelling!

davetwin
#20 Posted : 22 April 2015 08:18:08

Lovely pictures Michu, there is some fantastic detail in this