Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Building the Crane Options
dbartonjr
#1 Posted : 17 April 2015 19:30:49

Groups: Registered

Hi Andy,

Once again I have a question about your build. In post 374 of 'my build another sequel you are building the crane from parts ant the Gold Medal Models photo etchings. Since I have the same etchings I thought I would try to use them as well, however, you also mention that you use some of the pulleys from the parts as well. I cannot see where you use them. I was going to use the pulleys from the etch set, not sure the long or the short one (which one did you settle on). If you used pulleys from the supplied parts where did you use them? I assume you placed a wire at the top of part 5 and use it to hold in the etching pulleys, is this correct?

Thanks for all your help in the past and probably the future as well BigGrin. I really enjoy looking at your build diary it has been a great help and the work you do is top notch. If my build is half as good as yours I will be ecstatic.

Dan.

N.B. Did you notice a mistake in the instructions on page 248 step 57? It says to place piece 3 on pieces 6, but piece 3 was already used in step 47 (pg 247) and fixed to the metal plate. Was there a piece missing? I know it is not relevant since I am using etchings for the pulleys I am just curious.
File Attachment(s):
Screenshot 2015-04-17 18.28.42.png (375kb) downloaded 33 time(s).

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 17 April 2015 20:44:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dave

Thanks for your comments and glad to be of help. I did notice the mistake but ignored it TBH. Now to answer your question the grey metal parts in the pictures are from the kit the etch is all Gold Medal apart from the etch on the grey metal base underside which I used as it looked more scale like and beefy for the supports it represents.
There are 10 grey metal pulleys provided I used these on the jib end [1 pulley] 4 pulleys were used for the two top runners and 2 more were used inside the double armed grey metal base that fits inside the vertical crane mast so 7 were used in all. How you want to display the crane on your model will be down to the Gold Medal pulley fittings the short one's will have the jib high and the long ones will have it like mine but also remember that the double armed grey metal will be in the high position as in my pics but if the short ones are used this will pivot further back, in effect the double armed part will swing back up to 90% from the vertical, so in effect the higher the jib the more this will swing down to the rear of the crane mast. The Gold Medal pulleys were fixed in place using wire the wire supplied as you guessed I didnt use any of the supplied parts for the crane hook instead I used the Gold Medal parts as again it was more scale like.
Hope this helps but if somethings not clear please ask and i will try to explain more.

Regards

Andy Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

dbartonjr
#3 Posted : 18 April 2015 22:53:37

Thanks Andy,

I think I understand what you were describing, as usual I have a few more questions. First the pulley at the Jib end there is a little slot for the pulley attached to the crane hook from the set but the pulley from the part is too thick, I can file it down, and too wide to fit through the space. I think you must have placed the end of the Jib End Cap far enough away from the top of the crane to fit the pulley and held it together by wire, if this correct? My final question involves the other 6 pulleys you mention. I have blown up your pictures by 400% and cannot see them. All is see are the gold pulleys at each end of the crane rigging. Did you attach the pulleys to the end of the crane rigging or am I just blind BigGrin. Looking at the pictures for so long I can believe either case. I will take a decision on what to do in any case I am just curious now. I really appreciate your tips and suggestions, I would not have gotten as far as I have without your help.

Best Regards,

Dan

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 18 April 2015 23:50:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dan

My apologys I was working from memoryBlink Crying but I have now double checked in the picture below all that has a 1 next to it are the gold medal parts with wire through them. The only pulley used was at the jib end marked 2 , I think I filed down 2 pulleys and sandwiched the gold medal hook inside it then spread the jib end a little to fit it. Hope this helps.

Regards

AndyCool
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P2170706.JPGyamato crane.JPG
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .