Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Jedieb's Millennium Falcon Build Log Options
jedieb
#1 Posted : 19 April 2015 22:36:24

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Where am at:
I'm expecting my 2nd month's shipment to arrive in about a week. The only thing I did with the first 4 issues was read them, but I'm leaving everything on the blister cards. I may not actually start opening anything and working on the Falcon until month 3. What I'm using my spare time to work on is the display table that's going to house this baby.

It'll have acrylic panels on the sides, a glass table top, and the bottom shelves will hold the DeAgostini Falcon binder and some Star Wars coffee table books. I may even have a couple of figures down there as well. I'm making it out of pine and plan on sanding, conditioning it, and painting it black.

My father-in-law and I began working on the table a couple of weeks ago. We got the basic frame built. Then we had the joy of taking it all apart to route the grooves for the glass top and the acrylic sides. I ordered the square glass top (36") and my father-in-law picked it up this week. We got a chance to work on it again today. We've had to rebuild a couple of the posts. He's come up with a way to slide out one of the sides with some removable fronts and some magnets. I may not be able to get over there and get back to work on it until next Saturday. I'll be posting some pics of the table build soon.
jedieb attached the following image(s):
DeAgostini Coffee Table 3D 2nd Draft 2D.jpg
jedieb
#2 Posted : 19 April 2015 23:08:13

And here are some pics of the build.

Could not have done this without my father-in-law's help and workshop. Sadly, after it was all put together we had to take it apart to start routing. Crying
DMF Display Table 1.jpg
DMF Display Table 2.jpg
DMF Display Table 3.jpg
DMF Display Table 4.jpg
chrisfowler99
#3 Posted : 20 April 2015 00:14:14

Very cool. Should be a very nice way to display the Falcon.

Pretty sure mine will end up on the wall mount when complete.
Tomick
#4 Posted : 20 April 2015 08:51:03

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace. Cool idea, look forward to seeing the end result Cool
ajethridge
#5 Posted : 20 April 2015 15:27:26

Groups:

Good idea.
davetwin
#6 Posted : 20 April 2015 18:36:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks like it will turn into a fantastic display piece for the Falocn Cool
jedieb
#7 Posted : 20 April 2015 23:36:40

Thanks guys. Sadly, I won't be able to get back to work on it until this Saturday morning. Good news though, just got my order summary email for month 2. Hopefully I'll have the binder, magazines, and parts by the end of the week.
jedieb
#8 Posted : 25 April 2015 04:17:57

Got the binder today and it arrived in great shape. I was expecting to receive issues 5-8 and their parts, but the binder was the only thing that arrived today. I guess this is typical of how month 2 has been arriving in the U.S.?

Oh well, I'll be hitting the gym early tomorrow morning and then I'm off to my father-in-law's workshop to get back to work on the coffee table. BigGrin
Binder 1 (1).jpg
Binder 2 (1).jpg
Warthog
#9 Posted : 25 April 2015 09:22:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Welcome to Modelspace BigGrin Cabinet looks fantastic Drool

Look forward to seeing your build of the falcon. We have quiet a few build diaries on the go and the more the merrier Cool

Spencer
jaws062666
#10 Posted : 25 April 2015 14:34:35

jedieb wrote:
Got the binder today and it arrived in great shape. I was expecting to receive issues 5-8 and their parts, but the binder was the only thing that arrived today. I guess this is typical of how month 2 has been arriving in the U.S.?

Oh well, I'll be hitting the gym early tomorrow morning and then I'm off to my father-in-law's workshop to get back to work on the coffee table. BigGrin

I am in New Jersey and I got both packages the same day. Great looking cabinet so far.
My current builds: The Millennium Falcon, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Ford Mustang Shelby
jedieb
#11 Posted : 26 April 2015 04:49:36

Slept in and never made it to the gym, so lazy...

Got a lot of work done on the table today. Unfortunately, as I was moving the glass top I tapped it at just the wrong angle and it cracked. It friggin' cracked!!!!! I might still be able to salvage it, but I'll have to wait and see.

When I got home there was box 2 waiting for me! I went ahead and unpacked it and took a few pics. I'm headed back to the workshop tomorrow and there's a good chance my father-in-law and me may actually finish tomorrow. If we do I'll be able to bring it home and start sanding and painting.

IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG
Box2.JPG
Issues 5-8.JPG
Parts 5-8.JPG
jedieb
#12 Posted : 28 April 2015 03:34:39

Son of a ........Cursing

We got to the point early Sunday afternoon where we'd finished routing and had the table pretty much put together and ready for the glass top. We knew it wasn't going to be a perfect fit the first time out, but we were ready for the first go at it. We placed the glass and saw that we'd have to do some more routing to fit the glass in. Took the table apart and deepened the grooves for the table. We then put the table back together to try and fit the glass in and damned if one of the acrylic sides didn't crack when we were putting it back together. I was so close!!!

Went back to Lowes on the way home and got some more acrylic. I'm headed back over Tuesday after work to place the new acrylic in and see how the glass fits. If everything works out I may be able to bring it back to my house and then I can start painting.
jedieb
#13 Posted : 07 May 2015 03:05:53

Finally!!!
I've been swamped lately with work and softball. We finally finished putting the table together last Saturday. It's at my house now and I'm in the middle of painting it. I got a coat of primer on Monday. When I get home from the gym tomorrow I plan on putting a coat of primer on the bottom shelf and the first coat of black paint on the rest of the frame. It's probably going to take 2-3 coats, but it should be worth the work. Here's some pics of the finished table, it's new home, and the coat of primer.
May6a.JPG
May6b.JPG
May6c.JPG
davetwin
#14 Posted : 07 May 2015 06:41:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice indeed! So when can I expect my finished table LOL
jedieb
#15 Posted : 09 May 2015 03:47:01

Funny thing is, my father-in-law would probably build another one just for the fun of it. He's so into woodworking that he often builds a project twice. The first time with cheap wood like pine so he can work out exactly how to put everything together. Then when he has all the kinks worked out he builds it a second time with more expensive wood. That's way too much work for me.

Haven't been able to get back to painting but I've got nothing but time tomorrow. Going to start the morning by priming the bottom shelf and starting the first coat of black.
jedieb
#16 Posted : 10 May 2015 02:32:13

Got the first coat of paint on today. I can probably get away with just 2, but I think I'll probably have to put 3 on. I think the paint makes a huge difference. This should all be done before my Month 3 parts come in. That's when I plan on finally opening up some cards and bags and getting started.Drool
May9a.JPG
jedieb
#17 Posted : 09 June 2015 22:45:10

Man I've been swamped. May is always busy. With the end of the school year I've got teachers to train, evaluations, etc. But now I'm off for the summer and it's just my kids, the pool and the gym. Good times. Drool

The coffee table is finally 'done.' I may eventually add some small strips of wood to the front but it's good enough for now. Here's some pics with some coffee table books in their new home.

Some close ups of the books and smaller Falcons.

Here's a top view with the blue print in its temporary home.

Earlier this month Issues 9-12 arrived.

I still haven't opened anything yet. I bought an airbrush a couple of weeks ago and I'm going to start practicing with it before I try anything on the Dag Falcon. For now, I just finished tearing down my UCS Lego Falcon. I'm going to rebuild it and place it in the table until I finish the Dag Falcon. This is going to be a fun summer. BigGrin
davetwin
#18 Posted : 09 June 2015 23:39:22

Coffee table looks amazing! Will look even better when the Falcon is in.

When will mine be ready? LOL LOL
jedieb
#19 Posted : 10 June 2015 05:30:41

Man I've been swamped. May is always busy. With the end of the school year I've got teachers to train, evaluations, etc. But now I'm off for the summer and it's just my kids, the pool and the gym. Good times. Drool

The coffee table is finally 'done.' I may eventually add some small strips of wood to the front but it's good enough for now. Here's some pics with some coffee table books in their new home.

Some close ups of the books and smaller Falcons.

Here's a top view with the blue print in its temporary home.

Earlier this month Issues 9-12 arrived.

I still haven't opened anything yet. I bought an airbrush a couple of weeks ago and I'm going to start practicing with it before I try anything on the Dag Falcon. For now, I just finished tearing down my UCS Lego Falcon. I'm going to rebuild it and place it in the table until I finish the Dag Falcon. This is going to be a fun summer. BigGrin
Chewbacca
#20 Posted : 10 June 2015 05:44:20

Very nice display case Thanks for sharing
Dad and Husband
Writer for Drafting The Circuits
Radio Host for F1 Racing Plus and Drafting The Circuits