Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Michael's SOTS Build Options
michael.rolph
#1 Posted : 21 April 2015 21:17:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello to all the SOTS builders. I'm have currently finished the first 9 issues, I will be buying a camera to use instead of my mobile so hopefully the image quality will improve.

Keel Jig

I built my keel jig from a B&Q shelf and a couple of MDF boards I had left over from a matchitecture build. The jig has been built to allow the bow and stern guide pieces to be easily replaced for future projects.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Bulkheads

All the bulkheads have been fitted (dry fit for stern bulkhead).

Picture 3

There is an approximate 3mm drop in the deck level from the last to 2nd last bulkheads, can anyone confirm this is correct so I can make any necessary changes before I add the first false deck?

Picture 4

Cannons

It took a bit of patience to make the blocks, I use a drop of superglue on the final twists to reduce the risk of them parting once the excess wire is cut. I need to remember to file the flash down on the cannons in future.

Picture 5

Picture 6

Anchor

I will probably rebuild this when I get the other three.

Picture 7

michael.rolph attached the following image(s):
keel1_zps1hyydcs3.jpg
keel2_zps5o7geijy.jpg
skeleton3_zpsm7xzujj8.jpg
framesback_zps4rwphpdf.jpg
cannon1_zps1pjfnrcw.jpg
cannon1_zps1pjfnrcw.jpg
cannon2_zpsbun8yxay.jpg
anchor_zps27ixi0cl.jpg
davetwin
#2 Posted : 21 April 2015 22:25:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Im no expert with these blank on frame ship builds but it looks like you got off to a good start, the cannons look pretty cool too ThumpUp Cool
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 21 April 2015 23:30:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi, BigGrin

Looks like a very good steady start to your build. Cool

On a more funny side, don`t listen to davetwin. Flapper

If you had a "BLANK" on frame ship it would sink without trace.

"Sorry Dave couldn`t resist that one"

Flapper LOL Flapper LOL Flapper LOL Flapper "PLANK"

Keep up the good work and look forward to you progressing with your build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#4 Posted : 22 April 2015 00:04:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Michael, great to see another SOTS build underway and looks like you are off to a great start too.... As for your question on the deck levels, you are correct, the deck drops slightly from the bow to the centre then rises again towards the stern.... Cool Cool .. Keep those pics coming....

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 22 April 2015 07:18:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start keep the pics comingCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jonny7england
#6 Posted : 22 April 2015 10:13:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Michael..Great start there...Look forward to more posts on your build...BigGrin ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
ian smith
#7 Posted : 27 April 2015 15:01:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Micheal.
Great start look forward to seeing more of your build IanCool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
michael.rolph
#8 Posted : 05 May 2015 19:45:20

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

I have completed most of issues 10-13

Prow:

Picture 1

Deck:

Picture 2

Ships boat:

Picture 3

Picture 4

I made some mistakes with the planking of the boat but hopefully once it has been painted it should be OK.

I am leaving the boats anchor until I paint the rest of the fittings.
prow_zpse9b9ftm3.jpg
deck_zpso6ycijtb.jpg
shipside_zpsamlhlfjo.jpg
shiptop_zpssgifsh33.jpg
robbyrob60
#9 Posted : 05 May 2015 20:47:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

That's some nice clean and tidy work Michael keep up the good work,robby
michael.rolph
#10 Posted : 03 June 2015 20:57:17

I have completed issues 15-17, the only problem I had was that the bucket handle was too small and I snapped it trying to open it out. I attempted to make a replacement using a spare pin from the first deck. This didn't work as I couldn't get the arch correct. I Instead created a handle out of milliput.

boattrim_zps0jh2pbmo.jpg
boatpainted_zpsr5mt3ddl.jpg
hull_zps3f2kzft4.jpg
stevie_o
#11 Posted : 03 June 2015 21:02:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale
#12 Posted : 04 June 2015 00:01:01

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along very nicely Michael, well done....Cool Cool Cool .. Another idea you may like to consider for the bucket handles is to use some rigging thread. I didn't like the handles provided so decided to change them, rigging thread is held on with a little superglue... Cool Cool .. Pics on this page of my diary will give you an idea of how it would look.... Hope it helps...

http://forum.model-space...ts&t=5013&p=160

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#13 Posted : 04 June 2015 14:24:41

BigGrin Nice to see new SOTS build stunning work Michael ThumpUp

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
michael.rolph
#14 Posted : 15 October 2016 16:42:37

Well it's been quite a while since I've done anywork on my Sovereign. I've finally got the time and space in my new house to get on with the hull shaping and filling.

It took quite a lot of effort to do the rough shaping of the balsa filler. I ended up buying a Black and Decker mouse sander and finishing it up by hand.

With my Build of the year nearing completion I will hopefully have more time to devote to this build.

filler1_zpsab0qdqfe.jpg
filler2_zpsaxz9gzr3.jpg
filler3_zpsx8rjjnnm (1).jpg
Tomick
#15 Posted : 15 October 2016 18:52:37

Groups:

Coming along well and great to have an update from you Cool
Gandale
#16 Posted : 15 October 2016 19:28:08

Very nice work on the hull shaping, you'll find now this will assist greatly when it comes to planking.... nicely done.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#17 Posted : 15 October 2016 19:59:13

BigGrin looking good Michael very nicely done on the fillers she should plank up nicely Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#18 Posted : 15 October 2016 20:07:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Nice, very nice. Cool Cool Cool

Great shape to the hull, so well worth the time and effort spent.WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

michael.rolph
#19 Posted : 01 December 2017 20:33:33

Been a while since I've made any progress on my build. Now I have finished my victory cross section I will have some time to progress on this build (at least until the BOTY 2018 starts).

I've prepped my work space and sorted through my backlog of delivered issues. It looks like the postman has lost one of the deliveries as I am missing issues 97,89 and 100.

So its continuing planking tomorrow.
Gandale
#20 Posted : 01 December 2017 23:40:55

Look forward to seeing you pick up this build again Michael, am sure the wait will be worth it....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan