Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Impatience's Millennium Falcon Build Options
Impatience
#1 Posted : 24 April 2015 02:19:08

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

And so it begins. On April 21st I placed my order and received in my email:

"Thank you for your order from ModelSpace.
We’ll let you know once your item(s) have shipped."

In an effort to keep to my goal of having a build diary for this most excellent experience, I'm starting it with my order being placed. Now that I've posted this, you can all harass me if you don't see an update within the next week or two!!

Stay tuned for our next episode entitled: Your order has shipped. Soon to be followed by: Shipment arrived and associated pictures!!!

(Soooo chomping at the bit to start!!!)

--Impatience
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7
Impatience
#2 Posted : 24 April 2015 15:28:12

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Shipment notification has been received... WOOOT!!!
jedieb
#3 Posted : 25 April 2015 04:34:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

When I got my shipment notice it said 8-10 days, it arrived in 4. Hope yours gets there faster as well.
Impatience
#4 Posted : 29 April 2015 01:58:23

It's HERE!!! It's HERE!!! SQUEEEE!!!! Woot Woot Woot

Now to sit down and start reading Issue 1 in all its glory, then commence building Issue 1 parts. I'm promising myself that I will read every word of every book before building from that book in order to get the full benefit of all the Star Wars information packed into each issue!! Love Love Love

And the blueprint is SOOOOO cool! I opened it up to show my wife and she exclaimed, "Ohh god...where are we going to put that thing when its done?!?!?" LOL, I don't think she fully comprehended the size of this model. Ohh well, too late now! MUAHAHAHAH!

Thrakensal
#5 Posted : 29 April 2015 04:40:50

You, my friend are an evil, evil man. Laugh but I like that lol

I was the same way with my first pack. It was just amazing when I opened it. Now I'm waiting for pack 2 and can't wait to break into its Falcony goodness.
Impatience
#6 Posted : 29 April 2015 06:37:59

Well not an overly exciting night for my faithful followers, but quite awesome for me. I spent this evening reading all the articles in all 4 issues along with the build instructions. Loved the detailed information about the different ships and planets!! Of course the assembly instructions read like a TV series or an infomercial!!!

...you can put these together now.. Or wait for issue #3!!! Reminds me of "...in our next episode..."
...but wait there's more!!! Act now and you'll miss the fun of the parts coming in the next issue!!
...you can test the part for fitting, but don't attach it!! Don't glue it!!! Don't tighten it!!!

LOL, was very amusing for me and loved every minute of it. As suspenseful as watching Game of Thrones and wondering who is going to die next?!?!

Anyway, leaving the building of the first 4 issues for tomorrow night, then I'll settle in for the long winter as I impatiently await the next shipment :). More pics tomorrow viewers!!!
Tomick
#7 Posted : 29 April 2015 09:00:16

Groups:

Look forward to seeing how you get on and congrat's on your first medal Cool
darbyvet
#8 Posted : 29 April 2015 15:19:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Impatience wrote:
Well not an overly exciting night for my faithful followers, but quite awesome for me. I spent this evening reading all the articles in all 4 issues along with the build instructions. Loved the detailed information about the different ships and planets!! Of course the assembly instructions read like a TV series or an infomercial!!!

...you can put these together now.. Or wait for issue #3!!! Reminds me of "...in our next episode..."
...but wait there's more!!! Act now and you'll miss the fun of the parts coming in the next issue!!
...you can test the part for fitting, but don't attach it!! Don't glue it!!! Don't tighten it!!!

LOL, was very amusing for me and loved every minute of it. As suspenseful as watching Game of Thrones and wondering who is going to die next?!?!

Anyway, leaving the building of the first 4 issues for tomorrow night, then I'll settle in for the long winter as I impatiently await the next shipment :). More pics tomorrow viewers!!!

I have to say I found the accompanying magazines really good.Nice articles and interesting facts.
Impatience
#9 Posted : 29 April 2015 15:28:17

Tomick wrote:
Look forward to seeing how you get on and congrat's on your first medal Cool

Thanks! I shall wear it with pride!
Impatience
#10 Posted : 30 April 2015 04:16:38

Alright ladies and gentlemen (mostly gentlemen me thinks) I have completed the build of Issues 1-4. Overall pretty easy to put together and the instructions were very clear. Just took me a little focus to figure out the orientation of the frame pieces in the pictures, but easy enough. Putting the stickers on was probably the most stressful part as they REALLY want to get stuck on there!!! I think the 4 holes in the front dash/flight panel are just slightly off, but not enough that I think it will cause me any issues later on.

Some of the parts are relatively loose. I figure permanent attachment will come at a later stage. The individual guns on the turret really like to fall out, which scared the crap outta me at first as I thought I had broken it. Also the levers in the cockpit next to each seat are loose and fall out with a little jiggling. Other than that everything fit really well together. I guess I could have taken more pictures of the build process, but seeing as this is a stock OOB build with no modifications, I think you all will get the idea.

BTW, I'm having a hell of time with the pictures and resizing them in photo bucket. Sometimes they look smaller at 450x600, and other times they look larger, I really don't get it. All of these pictures according to photo bucket are the same dimensions, but you can see the third picture is the size I was expecting. I may have to find another way to do the resizing of photos. It is a lot of steps to get the pictures uploaded, resized, and then linked here.

Cockpit fully assembled but nothing is fixed/glued into place. Levers spin loose and fall out easily

Five pieces of framing attached together with one hull plate attached. Second hull plate that can't be attached yet is not shown.

Assembled turret sitting on the turret base/hull piece unattached.

The little game table all by its lonesome with sticker applied

My wife started saving all the random containers we get with food and other purchases. A little desert cup from Olive Garden works well to hold the screws while I'm building. Even has a top so I can keep all the extras together.

Now the long wait until the second pack arrives in about a month. Thank you all for watching, see you next time!!!

--Impatience
davetwin
#11 Posted : 30 April 2015 08:19:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Awesome start Imp

Its great to see that you are enjoying this so much, it reallyis a superb model.

All you pictures look fine too me Cool With regards to resizing them I do all mine on my Android tablet using an app called ReSize Me, it allows you to resize a bath of pictures in one shot. Alternatively on my Windows laptop I use a very good free program called Irfanview.

Hope that helps Cool
Gandale
#12 Posted : 30 April 2015 10:34:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great start Imp, can see I'm going to enjoy keeping up with your diary.... Cool Cool .. Well done... Cool

Regards

Alan
Impatience
#13 Posted : 03 May 2015 02:18:08

Thanks for checkin in guys! Appreciate the positive vibes! Laugh

I think I figured out the picture thing. When uploading the pictures, editing and then tagging in the forum, I think I'm dealing with some caching issues when it gets displayed to me. Looked great on my phone right after I posted and later looked right from my computer as well, so let's just ignore that little diatribe of mine LOL LOL

I'm certainly getting antsy for my second shipment...3 weeks to go...ugh!!!
arpurchase
#14 Posted : 03 May 2015 08:49:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start ImpCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Impatience
#15 Posted : 28 May 2015 03:41:00

Alas the second shipment has arrived!!! It is a glorious day! Below are some pictures of the kit as it arrived, unspoiled. Now, to keep to my promise, I will be reading every word of every issue (5-8) before I break open the parts and start assembly.

I also received the binder, but in all honesty have no idea how that binder is supposed to hold 100 books, or even how it works. I'm American for Christ's sake, we can do anything without explicit instructions! Heheheh (Picture of binder not included to reduce potential for instructional comments that will only serve to make this poster feel ignorant).

Let the festivities BEGIN!!!! Love Flapper Drool
Impatience
#16 Posted : 28 May 2015 19:58:24

Interesting facts:

* I received my shipment of the second pack yesterday. (Issues 5-8)
* I received the shipment notification for the second pack today.

Something may not be working as advertised :) Have I entered some time distortion portal or something?
DwCr13
#17 Posted : 28 May 2015 21:10:50

Impatience wrote:
Interesting facts:

* I received my shipment of the second pack yesterday. (Issues 5-8)
* I received the shipment notification for the second pack today.

Something may not be working as advertised :) Have I entered some time distortion portal or something?

lol, take it and run!!!!
Adam

Adam
Impatience
#18 Posted : 30 May 2015 07:07:23

Alright well, I was going to wait to do anymore of build until I had stopped by my local hobby shop and picked up some more supplies, but I couldn't wait. WAIT!! Hobby shop you ask? But Impatience, you said you were going to do an OOB build!! YOU PROMISED!! Well, I have to admit I've been tempted by other peoples build diaries as well as the instructions in booklets. I don't think I can resist popping some of the details out with dry brushing and doing a little weathering to the seats. I won't be painting the seats fully I don't think, but I will be putting a little of the watered down black paint into the grooves to give the seats some more depth. Probably going to do think ink method (once I figure out where to get ink) to the main hold flooring. Might even touch up the flooring grates with some dry brushing as well.

Anyway I digress...so what did I do today you ask? Well, really just a test fit of all the pieces in Issue 5. So here it is, everything put together as a test fit for Issue #5.

So thats it for tonight, as I watch more build videos from DeAgostini and Chris Falcon on YouTube.

Tomorrow I hit up the hobby store to pick up:

Black Paint
Silver Paint
Grey Paint
Light Grey Paint
Brushes
Files or Emery Board type sanding sticks
A cheap kit to practice the techniques on before committing them to a much more expensive Millennium Falcon :)

Thanks for watching!
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 30 May 2015 08:35:01

BigGrin Hi Imp

Vallejo do lots of different pre-made washes in different tones, Tamiya's smoke is good too for washes. I have included some links below to give you some examples,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...amp;hash=item2ee1889de4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...amp;hash=item35dfc4c58a

Hope this is of use,

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Impatience
#20 Posted : 30 May 2015 08:48:54

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Imp

Vallejo do lots of different pre-made washes in different tones, Tamiya's smoke is good too for washes. I have included some links below to give you some examples,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...amp;hash=item2ee1889de4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...amp;hash=item35dfc4c58a

Hope this is of use,

Regards

AndyCool

Thanks Andy! Now, you wanna know how new I am to all this?

What is a Wash? Huh

I do like the smoke. I'll be able to tell better what colors and types of paint I want when I get the test model and start applying colors to it to see what the effects look like. I'll also just have to see what brands the hobby store has.