Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Thraken-Sal's Millennium Falcon Build Options
Warthog
#21 Posted : 31 May 2015 12:44:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Thrakensal wrote:
Hello, Charles.

Tony does 3D printing objects for the Deago MF and he has a store on www.shapeways.com for his parts. Just go there and do a search for Deago and it will pop up his different mods there. Some are quite nice and will give you the ability to make the model truly yours.

I hope to post some more pics later on when my SW parts come in and my third shipment will be here soon also so it's going to get busy before too long. I received a box from shapeways last week, but it wasn't the things I ordered. Somehow I got some small parts that weren't mine and my parts are somewhere in the ether. Hopefully they will show up soon.

Rumour has it on the RPF that the 3D printed parts from shapeways over time will/can shrink and even go brittle. Not something I would be wanting to spend a fortune on only for a few years down the line find that I have a distorted Falcon.

Spence
LrdSatyr8
#22 Posted : 02 June 2015 20:11:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Warthog wrote:
Thrakensal wrote:
Hello, Charles.

Tony does 3D printing objects for the Deago MF and he has a store on www.shapeways.com for his parts. Just go there and do a search for Deago and it will pop up his different mods there. Some are quite nice and will give you the ability to make the model truly yours.

Rumour has it on the RPF that the 3D printed parts from shapeways over time will/can shrink and even go brittle. Not something I would be wanting to spend a fortune on only for a few years down the line find that I have a distorted Falcon.

Spence

And that's all it is, rumor... the resin that is used in 3D fine detail printing is UV hardening resin liquid. The key to longevity of a 3D printed piece is to paint it and paint it completely (even the parts that you know will not be seen). I know there is a UV blocking clear coat spray you can use, but haven't tried it myself. Another thing you can do is cast a mold of the peice when you receive it. Then recast it in a tougher longer lasting resin. This is also a good idea in case of breakages later on... just recast the peice and viola... new peice without having to have it printed up again and waiting! I know of many models that use 3D printed pieces that have been going for ages with no problems. But if you know the details of how to treat and use the materials, it doesn't matter what you use!
Tomick
#23 Posted : 02 June 2015 20:34:36

Groups:

So what you are saying that it is true if you don't completely paint the parts Confused
Thrakensal
#24 Posted : 08 June 2015 01:04:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Catching up on my build. More pics of the cockpit and the framework from issues 9-10.

Hull Plating and Framework

Cockpit work

I decided not to use the Shapeways Cockpit as it has been lost in transit and Shapeways is reprinting it for me. But I feel after doing all the work on this cockpit, it looks pretty good as it is so I'll just build up the Shapeways one as a display piece all it's own.

Thanks for looking; any suggestions are appreciated.
DwCr13
#25 Posted : 08 June 2015 01:13:51

its looking great, cant wait to see more!!!

Adam
Thrakensal
#26 Posted : 27 June 2015 18:22:49

Well I'm done with the hold and crew area. I did a little addition but not much and it is mostly just OOB but I think it looks pretty good BigGrin

I used some of the small parts from the 1/144 Fine Molds Millennium Falcon as mods on the wall around the small chair and the chairs and bits from Tony (FZ6).

Thanks for looking.
darbyvet
#27 Posted : 27 June 2015 20:42:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks Great Thrakensal
RogerThornhill
#28 Posted : 27 June 2015 21:13:50

It really does look good. Where did you get the chair by the console, is it from Tony? I definitely want a chair there when I do it.
Thrakensal
#29 Posted : 27 June 2015 21:33:01

Yes that is the chair Tony designed, It turned our really good BigGrin
Impatience
#30 Posted : 28 June 2015 18:54:24

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking super excellent!!! Lots of work in that hold area! I'm too lazy to do that much to mine :)

Only suggestion I'd make is the one that was made to me. Paint the edge of the console sticker in the front of the cockpit. The white edges really stand out. I covered mine in a dark color and it came out nicely, though it probably would have been a lot easier to just use a sharpee or something :)

Can't wait to see more of your work!
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7
Warthog
#31 Posted : 28 June 2015 19:48:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Now that's what I call a "lived in" smugglers hold! That is looking very nice indeed and keep up the great workCool

Spencer
Thrakensal
#32 Posted : 16 July 2015 20:23:17

Thanks for the compliments and tips, guys. I appreciate them. Just got the email that my month 5 shipment has been charged and will soon be on it's way to me. BigGrin I can't wait to tie into this thing some more Smile
Thrakensal
#33 Posted : 24 July 2015 23:36:58

Issues 17-20 arrived today. Can't figure out how they made it to me as this is what the box looked like when it arrived.

No damage and everything was in the box. Huh
Dan Kramer
#34 Posted : 25 July 2015 03:43:12

Wow.Blink Someone really wanted to see what the Falcon parts looked like.
I'm glad your contents arrived safely. I wonder if having Millennium Falcon Pack written prominently on the box leads to more missing deliveries?
I think I'd rather they mark with with a code than spelling it out like that.
Thrakensal
#35 Posted : 25 July 2015 06:00:54

I actually think it's the box more than anything. They have creases to make them bigger when the parts need it; but with the way they fold they have gaps at the sides and can get crushed easily especially with only one piece of tape across the top. If they would wrap tape around the corners when they ship bigger parts, it would keep the box from crushing.
Dan Kramer
#36 Posted : 26 July 2015 01:10:10

That makes a lot of sense. I've only had the one shipment so far (next one is on the way!), so I haven't seen much in the way of examples of the packaging.
Thrakensal
#37 Posted : 20 August 2015 01:01:38

I've come to the realization that if I build any more of the frame, it is going to get warped out of shape without the jig, so I am not going to work on the Falcon until I have all of the jig pieces. I am thinking I might get the ParaGrafix PE set for the cockpit and rebuild it; hopefully soon. So no pics for a while from me. I also just ordered a new camera, as the only one I have is on my phone and it's pretty low end so I bought a Nikon Coolpix L840. Of course it may be the loose wire between the seat and the camera Flapper