Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Techno-Fobe in the 21st Centuary Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 30 April 2015 19:39:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Well here goes.

I`m a 59 year old going on 60 "Total" Techno-Fobe and I`m about to venture into the build of the IDBOX.

I say about to, not totally true as I intend to read every piece of info enclosed in the first pack at least three times before I touch anything.

It`s my Grandchildren that have nudged me into this one, just showing them the short video clip in the Ad was enough to get them kick started.

LOL LOL LOL

So they kick started me. BigGrin

Will put up some pics at the weekend when not working and see where we go from there.

Watch this space.

If I can crack it, it`s got to be good. Love

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

ModelMania
#2 Posted : 30 April 2015 20:30:06

Groups:

delboy271155 wrote:
..... If I can crack it, it`s got to be good. Love

If you do crack it Del you can always get some spares from Customer Services?!! Laugh LOL Laugh LOL Laugh Flapper

Kev BigGrin

Impatience
#3 Posted : 30 April 2015 20:42:06

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I'm very interested to see your Build Diary on this one. I don't see any other diaries here, so it will be great to see one getting built by a member here!

--Impatience
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 30 April 2015 21:37:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

ModelMania wrote:
delboy271155 wrote:
..... If I can crack it, it`s got to be good. Love

If you do crack it Del you can always get some spares from Customer Services?!! Laugh LOL Laugh LOL Laugh Flapper

Kev BigGrin

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Hi Kev, BigGrin

The instructions are that clear that I should not come across that issue, but you can never say never. So I`ll be wearing the softly softly gloves. Flapper

Thanks for looking in.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#5 Posted : 30 April 2015 21:46:59

Impatience wrote:
I'm very interested to see your Build Diary on this one. I don't see any other diaries here, so it will be great to see one getting built by a member here!

--Impatience

Hi Impatience,BigGrin

The first parts are now out, so there should be more diaries coming on line soon.

Some people will not start a diary straight away, but wait until they`ve got a few deliveries under their belt, then start and show what`s gone before.

Thanks for looking in and hope to start soon, albeit a slow start.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Impatience
#6 Posted : 30 April 2015 21:50:47

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

delboy271155 wrote:
Impatience wrote:

--Impatience

Hi Impatience,BigGrin

The first parts are now out, so there should be more diaries coming on line soon.

Some people will not start a diary straight away, but wait until they`ve got a few deliveries under their belt, then start and show what`s gone before.

Thanks for looking in and hope to start soon, albeit a slow start.

This one isn't available in the US, so I'll be experiencing the build through your capable hands! Slow and steady works for me! BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 02 May 2015 20:00:16

Hi All, BigGrin

Well here we go, Crying

The box is open.

The instructions read, several times.

The basic computer programmes downloaded, after a couple of initial hiccups. (My fault not the kit and/or the instructions)

I did say Techno-Fobe.

Blushing Blushing Blushing

So here`s the parts and info included:

A series guide and the pack one booklet that includes your build instructions.

Issue 1 parts.

Issue 2 parts.

Issue 3 parts.

So, that`s what you get in pack one.

Lot`s of information to take on board and three packs of some interesting little parts along side the larger parts.

The build guide has some very clear and precise pictures and written information to help you on your way.

Hope to make a start tomorrow if everything else allows.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 02 May 2015 21:26:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start Derek, keep the pic's commingCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

stevie_o
#9 Posted : 02 May 2015 21:43:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

delboy271155
#10 Posted : 03 May 2015 15:26:18

Hi All, BigGrin

Thanks to AR and Steve for the initial encouragement above. Cool

First off a little while ago I knocked up a small work tray out of offcuts lurking in the man cave. Very useful for stopping bits rolling off the table and being snaffled up by the carpet gremlins. Cursing

Placed a couple of bits of A4 white paper inside to stop the acrylic getting scratched.

So the building starts here:
Pack 1: Stage 1

NB: The larger front panel is not used at this stage, so leave the protective covering on it and put away safe.

Then removed both coverings off the table base.

Same with the two reinforcing plates.

I then placed three M3 nuts in each reinforcing piece as below.

The orientation of the table piece is now critical, to make sure you fit the reinforcements to the correct side of the table piece.

There is a slot as indicated in the next pic (only just)that must be top right as you look at it.

You can now fit the reinforcements, but you may have to put a very small spot of pva on each nut to hold it in place. I managed without, but it`s a bit fiddly.

Whilst holding the two pieces in place I turned the whole thing over and fixed the six M3 screws (plus a washer) in place and very gently tightened them when all in place.

That`s it for stage 1.

I wrapped the completed section in bubble wrap until I commenced stage two.

Hope to post stage two later today, as other things need my time. Mad

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

ModelMania
#11 Posted : 03 May 2015 19:18:19

Groups:

Great start Derek, love the care and attention you are paying to this as you build it, that should pay you back handsomely later by not having to rebuild or replace parts - well done!! Cool ThumpUp

I admire you for taking on the challenge of building one of these Derek, given that you are as you say, a self-confessed Technophobe - well done again. Cool

Kev BigGrin
Gandale
#12 Posted : 03 May 2015 22:47:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice to see you up and running with this one Derek and a a great start you've made to it too.....Cool Cool .. I'm still waiting for may replacement to Pack 1, think a call to C/S will be in order if nothing arrives soon.... Once I get the pack I'll join you in producing a build diary so until then I'll enjoy following your progress.....Cool Cool .. Good luck with it...

Regards

Alan
Impatience
#13 Posted : 03 May 2015 23:42:42

Great start, and thanks for the detailed pics and walkthrough. Will be watching for more!!!

--Impatience
davetwin
#14 Posted : 04 May 2015 20:11:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start Derek, love seeing a techno-phobe embrasing technology.

Hope you pick it up Cool Will enjoy following your build of this
Martyn Ingram
#15 Posted : 04 May 2015 20:28:17

BigGrin Nice start Del will be looking BigGrin

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#16 Posted : 04 May 2015 22:18:16

Hi All,BigGrin

Thanks to all above for the early encouragement, most appreciated.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

So onto

Pack 1 : Stage 2

The parts:

The larger left side panel is not used yet, so leave the protective coating on.

Remove the protection from the table base and two reinforcing plates.

The reinforcing plates need the M3 nuts put in them (four each plate).

These two plates are then fitted in exactly the same way as the two in stage one.

With the table base from stage one, place it with the same groove top right as shown in stage one.

The two plates are then set in place.

Now turn the table over making sure the nuts don`t fall out of the plates, then put in the eight screws and tighten gently as indicated below.

With the four reinforcing plates in place and tightened accordingly, you will find a small plate in the small bits packs. You should also have a 10mm screw and another washer. Assemble these parts as shown below.

The slot in the table,that you have been using as your orientation point (top right)now needs an M3 nut placed in it.

Then screw the plate with washer and screw into that nut.

The plate should be set in position as shown below. (Again don`t over tighten).

In stage two, that`s as far as you need to go with the table at this point.

Attention now turns to the table base upper section. It`s the plate with four countersunk holes, one in each corner.

In the small bits packs you will find four silver coloured countersunk screws.

NB: These screws will not and should not be pushed through the holes, but screwed into the holes from the countersunk side.

Screw the four bolts in until the countersunk heads fit into the countersunk holes.

DO NOT TIGHTEN PAST THE POINT WHERE THE SCREW HEADS TOUCH THE PLATE.

You will have this:

On each of the four screws now fit in this order, a washer, a spring and another washer. Like this:

With this collection of parts on each screw your ready to get onto the next stage.

Take the main table part previously constructed and with the small plate at the top right position again, fit the table onto the springs.

Your table will now be sat on the spring and washer piles on each silver screw, as below:

In the small parts pack you will have four knurled nuts. Place one on each silver screw and turn down until the plate just starts to move down under the pressure.

Tighten and loosen each knurled nut in turn, this is to make sure the table moves up and down without snagging.

With the knurled nuts just pushing the plate onto the springs, turn each nut down until the plate moves down approx. 2mm on each corner.

Now that`s all for Pack 1 - Stage 2

My "personnel" thought at this point is to hold off doing "Stage 3".

It`s a choice you will have to make for yourself, but here are my reasons for holding back at this point.

All that needs to be done in Stage 3 is to fit a small circuit board to the right side panel.

You will need to remove the protection from the right side panel and loosely fit the circuit board.

The circuit board will be adjusted and tightened at a later stage.

"THAT`S IT"

So my reasoning is to keep the protection on the right side panel, as long as possible and not expose the circuit board to damage before it is needed.

I repeat this is only my choice. Should you wish to progress onto stage 3 then you can.

That`s all from me at this point.

Now waiting for the next delivery.

Happy Building,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg

kenjara
#17 Posted : 05 May 2015 13:29:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Impatience wrote:

--Impatience

That's because most peoples Pack 1 got smashed up and we are waiting for a replacement.

Nice work so far I love the nice clear photos! BigGrin

Also waiting for my replacement pack 1 but when I get it I will start a diary too. Drool

Good to see I am not the only one to look at the stages and decide to skip them if it doesn't quite make sense to do it yet. LOL
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
delboy271155
#18 Posted : 17 May 2015 22:47:51

HI All, BigGrin

Pack 2 arrived a short while ago and here`s the update.

First off, hope people who had an issue with their first delivery are now receiving there replacement parts.

Thanks to Kenjara for the compliments and time taken to look in. Cool

So onto "Pack 2":

Stage 4:

You should receive;

Bottom panel
3 plates to make up the bracket and
4x M3 nuts, bolts and washers.

Remove the protection from the two bracket side panels, orientate as below and insert two M3 nuts as indicated.

The top plate of the bracket is symmetrical, so locate the two lugs of the side plate into the top plate of the bracket and fit an M3 bolt with a washer to hold the two parts together.

NB: At this stage do not fully tighten, that will happen when the complete bracket is fitted to the base plate.

This is where you should be now:

Now fit the second side piece of the bracket as per the first, making sure the single lugs are in the same place, as indicated by the arrows.

The two blue arrows indicate where the single lugs are and the red arrows show where the next two M3 nuts are located so the bracket can be bolted to the base plate.

With the bracket legs facing upwards and having removed the protective paper from the bottom plate, I orientated the bottom plate with the four holes to the right as indicated and supported the bottom plate on a couple of Tamiya paint pots.

(Anything of a similar height will do, it`s just to make it easier to get the bolts in place without having to hold two parts and a bolt and screwdriver. All in only two hands).

With everything set as above, put two bolts with washers through the bottom plate into the bracket sides.

The three sided bracket is now fitted to the bottom plate and all four screws can now be gently tightened to make the bracket fast to the bottom plate.

Here we are at the end of stage 4:

That`s all for the moment, will be showing stages 5 to 7 tomorrow.

Happy building,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg

Gandale
#19 Posted : 17 May 2015 23:24:56

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice to see progress on this one Derek, following with interest... Cool Cool .. Have received pack 2, still waiting for replacement pack 1 and have just been told to give it another 28 days for the replacement pack to arrive..... thankfully I'm in no rush..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#20 Posted : 18 May 2015 06:16:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice update Derek, This is a very cool looking printer that I am look8ng forward to watching come together. Somehow it makes it even better knowing it is being done my a complete technophobe Cool