Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Techno-Fobe in the 21st Centuary Options
delboy271155
#21 Posted : 18 May 2015 13:30:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Thanks to Alan and Dave for looking in, sorry to hear of the delays Alan.

So on to stage 5:

Parts you get as follows;

Back panel
Cooling fan and guard
4x M3 screws, washers and nuts.

As these panels are to be stored for a while, I`ve decided to leave as much protective backing on for as long as possible.

Orientate the back plate as shown with the circular hole bottom left and the square hole bottom right.

You now have to fit the fan guard.
Make sure that the guard is fitted the correct way round. The guard shape should come out towards you and not protrude into the hole. Place four M3 screws into the holes.

Now lift the back plate, hold the four screws in place and turn the back plate over.
Fit the fan onto the four screws making sure that the fan wiring is in the position shown below.

Now fit an M3 washer and nut to each screw and tighten the screws in the order shown in the instructions.

This is where you are at the end of stage 5

Now on to stage 6:

The parts;

Noise filter (mains input socket)
2 x M3 screws, washers and nuts.

These parts fit into the back plate that had the fan fitted in stage 5.

I removed a small amount of protective paper and made sure that the noise filter is set the right way round.

The two M3 screws, washers and nuts are now fitted to hold the noise filter in place.

At the end of stage 6, you back plate should look like this.

(With or without the protective paper, is your choice)

Stage 7:

The parts;

Limit switch circuit board
2 x spacers
2 x M3 screws, washers and nuts.

You need to orientate the back plate that has the fan and noise filter fitted, as per the instructions.

Remove the protective paper, if not already done.

Then place the two spacers over the holes to be used.

Now place the circuit board onto the spacers, with the pins pointing in the direction indicated by the red arrow. Then insert the two screws supplied, indicated by the two blue arrows.

Holding the two screws in place, turn over the back plate and fit a washer and nut to each screw, then tighten just enough to hold the circuit board in place.

At the end of stage 7 your back plate should look like this:

Well that`s it, pack 2 is now completed.

Just needed to pack the parts away carefully, so used the vastly improved packing that came with pack 2.

Now waiting for pack 3 to arrive.

Happy building

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg
44.jpg
45.jpg
46.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

AgentReverie
#22 Posted : 26 November 2015 17:25:55

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Really fun and informative to read through.
I get a good look at what I have to look forward to!
JC
delboy271155
#23 Posted : 26 November 2015 18:10:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

AgentReverie wrote:
Really fun and informative to read through.
I get a good look at what I have to look forward to!
JC

Hi JC, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and happy you enjoyed the diary. Cool

Have completed some more of this kit, but not posted as yet. (hope to do so soon)

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Martyn Ingram
#24 Posted : 26 November 2015 18:28:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice to see you back on this one Derek Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#25 Posted : 01 March 2016 18:05:38

Hi All, BigGrin

Update:

I have actually completed this build up to pack 8, (awaiting delivery of pack 9).

So thought I`d better get some updates on.

I restart with pack 3 / stage 8.

Add the Z-axis limit switch and a reinforcing plate.

The first pic shows the parts for stage 8.

Assemble the switch, two screws and two spacers as shown.

The limit switch fits just above the noise filter on the inside of the back panel. It must be positioned so that the connector tags are pointing to the left.

Holding the parts in place turn the panel over and fit two washers and nuts to hold the switch in position. Do not fully tighten the nuts as the switch will have minor adjustment at a later stage. tighten just enough to hold in place.

You may have noticed that I have now removed all the protective covering of the back panel. Reason is that now a reinforcing plate is fitted in the centre of the panel.

Remove the covering from the reinforcing panel, put the four remaining screws in the holes and put the reinforcing panel in position on the outer face of the back panel. Hold the parts in place, fit a washer and nut on each screw and tighten finger tight with a screwdriver.

The final picture shows stage 8 completed.

IMG_5427.JPG
IMG_5428.JPG
IMG_5429.JPG
IMG_5430.JPG
IMG_5431.JPG

delboy271155
#26 Posted : 01 March 2016 18:18:21

Hi All, Blink

"AMENDMENT"

An amendment comes up in pack 6, that if you are not already past this point in your build is more easily accomplished at this point.(Not difficult if your past this point, just a bit more fiddly).

In stage 5 we fitted a cooling fan.

The instructions said to fit the fan with the wires at the Top Right position. This has been amended to the Bottom Right.

See picture below. Red arrow = old position
Blue arrow = new position.

PLEASE NOTE:

In a future post, with thanks to AgentReverie, he pointed out that I did not have the fan seal facing the fan grill. That has now been amended. (See second picture below).

I have left the first picture on here so you can see the difference.

IMG_5425.JPG
IMG_6014.JPG

delboy271155
#27 Posted : 01 March 2016 18:37:24

Hi, BigGrin

Stage 9

Enclosure assembly

First pic shows parts supplied.

Now, there are 22 steps in the next part of this build.

The instructions are extremely precise and the pictures are excellent and I`m not going to duplicate them here.

What I will say is, follow the instructions by the letter, it may be easier to have another pair of hands available (like SWMBO ),but not essential.

Note: DO NOTfully tighten the nuts and bolts as in stage 10 a jig/top plate is fitted that squares everything up prior to tightening.

So the enclosure is assembled.(See pic)

That concludes Stage 9.

IMG_5432.JPG
IMG_5434.JPG

delboy271155
#28 Posted : 01 March 2016 18:52:39

Hi BigGrin

Stage 10

Fit the assembly jig and tighten the nuts and bolts.

As with stage 9, I suggest you follow all the steps in the instructions, in the order given. (The instructions give far better pictures than I can Blushing )

Note: Be careful when tightening the nuts and bolts.
Make sure the captive nuts are positioned properly, or you may crack the acrylic.
Follow the specific order shown in the instructions when tightening the bolts.

So just the one pic here of the jig in place.

That concludes stage 10.
IMG_5436.JPG

delboy271155
#29 Posted : 01 March 2016 19:04:06

Hi, BigGrin

Stage 11

Attach the lead screw nut to the table base.

The parts supplied in the first pic.(You will also need the table base)

There`s nothing much to this stage.

Be sure to align the lead screw nut as shown in the instructions. Fit the washer and nut and tighten carefully.

Picture of the end result.

Keep the 2mm allen key safe.

That concludes stage 11 and pack 3.
IMG_5437.JPG
IMG_5438.JPG

birdaj2
#30 Posted : 01 March 2016 20:11:19

Coming together very nicely.

Hope the end result provides loads of entertainment as its a very amaxing piece of technology - i want one of these so i will print one.

Amazing stuff.Cool
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
davetwin
#31 Posted : 01 March 2016 23:07:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great to see another update on this Derek, looks like getting by with out any difficulties, won't be long before you're a technophile BigGrin
delboy271155
#32 Posted : 02 March 2016 07:48:10

Hi, BigGrin

Tony: I`m hoping to get loads of useful fun out of this when complete.
Maybe when I get my head round it even some improved parts for plastic kits.

Dave: The build itself is excellently covered in the instructions, the bit that will tell if I`ve made it to a technophile is if I can make it work when it`s finished. LOL

Only time will tell.

Hope to post next update soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

AgentReverie
#33 Posted : 02 March 2016 23:30:51

looks like I'll have to revisit my build before proceeding, to reposition the cooling fan! Thanks for the heads up about the amendment. Build looks great!

Couple questions: in Stage 5 the instructions have the 'seal side facing the panel', toward the fan guard. Does the amendment change that? it looks like yours is the other way around is that what the amendment calls for?
delboy271155
#34 Posted : 03 March 2016 17:22:54

AgentReverie wrote:
looks like I'll have to revisit my build before proceeding, to reposition the cooling fan! Thanks for the heads up about the amendment. Build looks great!

Couple questions: in Stage 5 the instructions have the 'seal side facing the panel', toward the fan guard. Does the amendment change that? it looks like yours is the other way around is that what the amendment calls for?

Firstly, thanks for looking in.Cool

Next, in answer to the the above, it`s official I`m a plonker.

Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing

Missed that bit, somehow, about the seal so will now have to re-position again.

So, in conclusion:

With the fan seal facing the fan guard, the wires should leave the fan at the bottom right and not the top right.
Pic below.

Thanks AgentReverie, have also amended the amendment.Blink
IMG_6014.JPG

AgentReverie
#35 Posted : 03 March 2016 23:08:13

I'm just glad it's sorted out and that I wasn't imaging things! Cool
I guess an extra pair of eyes helps sometimes. At any rate this way I can make the adjustment on my build right away. Laugh
delboy271155
#36 Posted : 07 March 2016 12:22:12

Hi,BigGrin

So it`s on to Pack 4.

Stage 12:

You will need the parts supplied for this stage and the 2mm allen key supplied in stage 11.

Fit the timing pulley 1-2 cms from the end of the slider rod as shown in the picture and lock it gently in place with the set screw. The pulleys position will be adjusted at a later stage.

IMG_5439.JPG
IMG_5440.JPG

delboy271155
#37 Posted : 07 March 2016 12:49:19

Hi,BigGrin

Pack 4 Stage 13:

You will need:

Slider and pulley from stage 12
The parts supplied for this stage
and the 2mm allen key.

First fit the 8mm set screw into the slider until about only 3mm is showing.

Fit the slider onto the rod, with the set screw facing the pulley that has been fitted previously.

Next fit the long pulley on the rod with the set screw toward the centre of the rod. Tighten the set screw gently, making sure the pulley is 1-2cms from the end of the rod and the set screws of the two pulleys are in line with each other (as indicated by the red arrows).

IMG_5441.JPG
IMG_5442.JPG
IMG_5443.JPG
IMG_5444.JPG

delboy271155
#38 Posted : 07 March 2016 13:24:19

Hi, BigGrin

Pack 4 Stage 14,

You will need:

The parts supplied for this stage
Slider rod from stage 13
ID Box housing

Fit a long belt on the short pulley, then a long and short belt on the long pulley (with the short belt nearest that end of the rod). Then fit the rod with the belts into the left hand side of the housing.

You now have to fit a bearing at each end of the rod.
Note: These bearings must be fitted squarely into the housing or you will crack the housing and they must be fitted right up to the shoulder on the outer edge of the bearing.
Fit and tighten the 4mm truss head screw into the end of the rod at the rear of the housing and the 12mm one in the front end.
Note: Do not tighten the 12mm screw at this time as there is more work to do at a later stage.
IMG_5445.JPG
IMG_5447.JPG
IMG_5448.JPG

delboy271155
#39 Posted : 07 March 2016 13:36:25

Hi, BigGrin

Pack 4 Stage 15

Stage 15 is a copy of Stage 12.

You will need:

The parts for this stage
2mm allen key

Fit the pulley on the rod as before 1-2cms from the end of the rod and fix with a set screw.

That`s it for pack 4.

Keep any used parts safely for use later.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

IMG_5450.JPG
IMG_5451.JPG

delboy271155
#40 Posted : 28 May 2017 14:27:40

Well it`s been a while. Crying

The good news is that this is built and passed the set up tests.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

I`ve got pics of packs 5-8 and end of pack pics for 9-12.

Found it a bit difficult to photo the latter stages due to light reflection, but pics show pack completion.

Amazingly for a Techno-fobe it passed the set up tests without incident.

Must be easier than I thought.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

So here`s pack 5:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG