Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Filler for painted hulls. Options
magpie1832
#1 Posted : 03 May 2015 12:40:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi All,
I would just like to share this info. If you are building a Wooden planked Ship that has a Painted hull this filler is great.

I used it to great effect on my Hood. Its called Fine Stopper. It is used in the automotive industry for the last fill after primer to get rid of all the fine scratches left behind. It sands down with wet and dry to an extremely smooth finish.

Stopper

I sanded my Hull down, then gave it a very thin scrape over with the filler then sanded it with fine normal sand paper. Then gave it 2 coats of primer. Once dry give it a wet and dry with 1000 grade. Then I give it another thin going over with the stopper. If bigger areas I just use it thicker. Then wet and dry it again. I prime it with Vallejo Primer ready for the top colour. Dont be worried about sanding the primer down to the wood as you can give it a mist over with primer again until your satisfied with the result.

On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

jase
#2 Posted : 03 May 2015 16:44:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Looks like an intresting product thanks for sharing

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
ModelMania
#3 Posted : 03 May 2015 19:02:21

Groups:

That's a very good finish to your hull Chris and just proves the point that the end result is only ever as good as the amount of work that you put into the preparation layers, very nice and hard to tell that it is a planked hull?!

Kev BigGrin