Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Display Case Options
dbartonjr
#1 Posted : 04 May 2015 10:59:54

Groups: Registered

All,

As I near the end of the Yamato buildBigGrin I am looking for a case to display it in. Has anyone put the Yamato inside a display case and if so, what were the dimensions of the display case? So far the largest one I have found on the internet is 100cm x 20cm x 30 cm. I do not believe this is long enough. All suggestions gratefully received.

Dan

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri
magpie1832
#2 Posted : 04 May 2015 12:01:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If I was you it would be better to make your own case to your dimensions.
You can probably make it cheaper than a ready made one.

I will be doing one for My Hood build but need to wait until finished to get a better idea of size and whether I am going to put a few extras in the case.

Regards Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

arpurchase
#3 Posted : 04 May 2015 13:55:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dan

I made my own and did it like this Measure the length of the ship and add 30 cm so its about 15 cm longer at the bow and stern for the width add around 10 cm per side wider than the ships maximum beam. This will give the case base measurement but add 50 mm extra to the length and width to accomadate the base beading that will go around the base board edge.
The height was the height of the ship and add another third. The acrylic I used I got off the web and had cut to size, you can do this yourself from a larger sheet but I didnt have the room to do that.

The base was made from mdf board again I used there cutting service to get it to the size I needed then the beading was added to it making sure all was square. Remove the protective sheets covering the inside surface of the acrylic sides and end pieces then assemble them using the base as a template hold the edges together where they meet with tape and glue together forming a long box, once dry remove the protective film from the top piece and lay flat place the box you just made line up and glue to form the cabinet. Once dry the acrylic box should drop into the base. If you do not like the glue lines where the edges meet then you can use either wooden or plastic 'L' shaped beading to cover the edges.

You could buy one off a display cabinet maker but this will be even more expensive than making your own.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#4 Posted : 04 May 2015 20:15:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Dan

I made my own and did it like this Measure the length of the ship and add 30 cm so its about 15 cm longer at the bow and stern for the width add around 10 cm per side wider than the ships maximum beam. This will give the case base measurement but add 50 mm extra to the length and width to accomadate the base beading that will go around the base board edge.
The height was the height of the ship and add another third. The acrylic I used I got off the web and had cut to size, you can do this yourself from a larger sheet but I didnt have the room to do that.

The base was made from mdf board again I used there cutting service to get it to the size I needed then the beading was added to it making sure all was square. Remove the protective sheets covering the inside surface of the acrylic sides and end pieces then assemble them using the base as a template hold the edges together where they meet with tape and glue together forming a long box, once dry remove the protective film from the top piece and lay flat place the box you just made line up and glue to form the cabinet. Once dry the acrylic box should drop into the base. If you do not like the glue lines where the edges meet then you can use either wooden or plastic 'L' shaped beading to cover the edges.

You could buy one off a display cabinet maker but this will be even more expensive than making your own.

Regards

AndyCool

Great steps to building a display case Andy,

May I ask what you mean by beading as I want to build a case for my Tamiya Yamato Cool
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 04 May 2015 20:27:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dave

The beading im talking about is the wooden type used to fix window's in place, Quarter inch with a rounded face you can buy it from ant good D I Y place its usualy in the decorative mouldings section made of soft wood or hard wood.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#6 Posted : 04 May 2015 21:13:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Dave

The beading im talking about is the wooden type used to fix window's in place, Quarter inch with a rounded face you can buy it from ant good D I Y place its usualy in the decorative mouldings section made of soft wood or hard wood.

Regards

AndyCool

Cheers Andy

I was also looking at just perspex on all sides including the base but this gives me something else to ponder now
GilShapley
#7 Posted : 05 May 2015 12:19:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I made my own case for my model of the Bismark

The size as follows:-

140L X 39H X 30D (Centimeters)

I used 4mm glass sheets, as opposed to plastic which I feel over the years will mark more easily than glass

The frame is made of lengths of 2cm X 2cm which I routed out to accommodate the glass
Also as I was wall mounting the cabinet the back "panel" is a mirror so that you can see the other side of the ship.
The completed case stands on a base (see picture) Sorry about the poor quality of the picture of the case but the glass and mirror cause a lot of reflection

Cant remember what it cost to build but I have no doubt it was cheaper than buying ready made.

GilShapley attached the following image(s):
Bismarkfordad.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle