Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

28 Pages <1234>»
Colson's Millenium Falcon Build Options
colson
#21 Posted : 09 May 2015 20:36:24

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

OK, so I got my second pack of parts this past Wednesday.

Time to start on the rest of the cockpit pieces.

Started out by priming and painting the side pieces for the cockpit.

Painted the inside of the lower half of the cone so as not to see the gaps in the pieces of the cockpit.

So now is the time to fit the front of the cockpit together and see how it's looking.

ME LIKEY BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

It's a tight fit under the floor board, but it works. I'm pretty pleased with how this is turning out.

So now it's time to put the together the rear instrument panel.

Now the final stage of doing the cockpit. I am now going to add additional fiber optics to the side panels, console between the seats, the rear instrument panel and a few blinking lights to the back panel wall.

Gandale
#22 Posted : 09 May 2015 23:43:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Have to commend you on some stunning work there Colson and some clever use of fibre optics.... Going to be following this one that's for sure.... very well done....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#23 Posted : 10 May 2015 00:05:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Great work with the optics looks the bizzCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#24 Posted : 10 May 2015 00:17:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I likey too Colson, looks fantastic, great job Cool
jedieb
#25 Posted : 10 May 2015 02:39:16

[quote=colson]Thanks guys. The fiber optics are actually very cheap. I got them on Ebay. 175 ft of various colored .25mm fiber optics WITH and LED illuminator for $10.99. Here's a link. If this auction is done, just look at the seller. He's got tons of fiber optics. For me I got them in 2 days since I'm local. But anywhere in the states should be really quick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...3D2%26sd%3D371303479438[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I watched the seller just in case I want to take the fiber optic plunge somewhere down the line.
rosewoodhill
#26 Posted : 10 May 2015 05:15:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The cockpit is just awesome, lovin' following this build! ThumpUp
Subscribed: Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

In The Last Few Years Builds: DeAgostini Samurai Armour Kobayashi Kougei: 1/100 Horyuji Kondo, 1/100 Horyuji Inner Gate, 1/36 Muro-ji Five-Story Pagoda, Public Bath House of Showa, Model Shipyard: 1/72 Los Morrillos de Cabo Rojo Lighthouse. 1/72 Kermorvan Lighthouse
Woody Joe: 1/150 Azuchi Castle.

Building: Kobayashi Kougei: 1/100 Himeji Castle, 1/70 ji Kinkaku.

Received but not started: Woody Joe 1/50 Ishiyamadera Pagoda
colson
#27 Posted : 10 May 2015 05:26:37

OK. Did a little more work this afternoon. The side panels don't really have any light detail as they are. So I just picked some spots and put some fibers in. Only 4 per side, but it just adds. I don't want to go crazy with lights.

So here it is again with the side consoles lit and the nose cone on.

What do you all think? Is 4 lights enough on the sides? At least 1 of the lights on each side will be blinking as well. Again, I don't wanna go nuts and make it crazy, just make it feel a little more alive.

davetwin
#28 Posted : 10 May 2015 10:28:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks great to me Colson, I do have seen where people get a bit carried away with the quantity of lights they put it in and it starts getting a bit too much
colson
#29 Posted : 11 May 2015 03:57:27

Been a pretty productive weekend I must say. So I drilled out some holes in the center console between the seats and added some fibers.

The fun part was then bundling all of the fibers and running them through the rat hole in the back wall of the cockpit.

Time to add the seats and controls and do some more test lighting.

Lookin' good. So I decided to add a few lights on either side of the rear instrument panel. Once the cone is on, it's very difficult to see the upper portion, so I've only added some on the lower sides just for highlight.

While I don't have the power supply for the rear LED's because that comes with the next shipment, I've just put a light behind it and put in the rear instrument panels for yet another light test.

CRphoto
#30 Posted : 11 May 2015 23:13:02

I like the subtle number of lights and your placements. Really add life without looking overdone.

Thanks for the review and link to the colored fibers. I just ordered a pack plus some side glow so I can deck mine out as well.
colson
#31 Posted : 12 May 2015 01:37:14

CRphoto wrote:
I like the subtle number of lights and your placements. Really add life without looking overdone.

Thanks for the review and link to the colored fibers. I just ordered a pack plus some side glow so I can deck mine out as well.

Cool. Glad my link will help you. The guy was really cool and fast shipping.
Warthog
#32 Posted : 12 May 2015 09:02:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Looking very nice and agree it very subtle which in my view is much better than it being full of flashing lights distracting from the details you have done with your painting.. Very Cool

Spencer
davetwin
#33 Posted : 12 May 2015 16:23:00

Looks excellent, looking forward to what you put together cor the hold Cool
magpie1832
#34 Posted : 12 May 2015 21:39:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I really like this build. The lighting you have done is just right. And the paint job you have done. Can't wait to see this progress.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Thrakensal
#35 Posted : 14 May 2015 05:20:19

WOW. That looks amazing, Colson. Just enough lighting to make it look functional and bring life to the cockpit, but not so overdone it looks like a fire burning in there. Well Done.
colson
#36 Posted : 15 May 2015 17:23:49

OK. So I put the whole cockpit together to do a test lighting and do a video of it. I don't have pack 9 yet with the batteries, so I just put an LED flashlight to light up the back of the cockpit. But still gives a very good idea of how it'll look. Now let's see if I can make the video show up here.

Well, can't get video embedded, but here's a link if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa2EhYbnnJ0
mhansen
#37 Posted : 16 May 2015 06:59:39

Looks great Colson. I've never tried fiber optics before, but for that price its something I'm going to try. I'm curious about your drill - can you give some more information on that as it seems more handheld. Also, do you use superglue to glue the strand to the console / part?

And what the heck do you call that small sponge looking brush. I really suck at drybrushing and this looks much better. But I've never seen anything like those and can't figure out how to search for it. Nothing like them in the brush sections on the hobby sites and 'sponge brush' returns all those house painting brushes.

Thanks for the info!!

Built: Terminator T-800 Battle Damage
Working on: DeAgostini Falcon
On the bench: BanDai R2/R5, Pegasis T2 Tank and HK (both with Light kits), 40+ more
colson
#38 Posted : 16 May 2015 07:40:58

mhansen wrote:
Looks great Colson. I've never tried fiber optics before, but for that price its something I'm going to try. I'm curious about your drill - can you give some more information on that as it seems more handheld. Also, do you use superglue to glue the strand to the console / part?

And what the heck do you call that small sponge looking brush. I really suck at drybrushing and this looks much better. But I've never seen anything like those and can't figure out how to search for it. Nothing like them in the brush sections on the hobby sites and 'sponge brush' returns all those house painting brushes.

Thanks for the info!!

mhansen, I use a Dremel for drilling the holes. Usually they're used for more grinding, sanding, routing, etc., but they drill as well. You can pick up a Dremel at about any hardware store. As for the extremely small bits, those were a gift to me years ago, but doing a google search for Dremel mm drill bits, you can find packs of very small ones like I used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...D30%26sd%3D151529958222

As for the sponge, that comes with the Tamiya weathering pastels. They come in packs of 3 colors and include the stick with the sponge on one side and a brush on the other. Looks kinda like a mascara set for women. I have sets A,B,C and D. They can be found on Ebay, Amazon, etc. Or possibly local hobby store depending on what they stock. Here's a link to what they are.

http://www.tamiya.com/en...oducts/87080weathering/

mhansen
#39 Posted : 17 May 2015 05:13:50

Awesome - thanks for sharing the details on both - just what I needed. :)
Built: Terminator T-800 Battle Damage
Working on: DeAgostini Falcon
On the bench: BanDai R2/R5, Pegasis T2 Tank and HK (both with Light kits), 40+ more
Impatience
#40 Posted : 17 May 2015 17:38:34

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

That is some truly amazing work! While I'm still set on just doing an OOB build, its really cool to see what is possible with this and future kits. I agree with everyone that you have done just the right amount of lighting so it looks "functional" but not like someone lit up a Roman Candle in there. You've got some mad skills my friend! I leave for one week in Cabo and you guy nuts on that thing! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the rest of it.

I also have bought a dremel, but it came with so many attachments I don't even know what to do with it yet heheh.
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7